Talk

Advanced search

Injured by my bra! Help needed.

(16 Posts)
purpleminion Sun 23-Feb-14 14:37:41

Not a funny thread unfortunately.

I measured myself after reading some intervention threads and went from a 40DD to a 38F. I was initially very pleased with the results.
I bought a few bras in that size in M&S and they seemed to fit quite well.

However in recent times I had a sore boob. I thought it was PMT related as it would come and go. It was very sore yesterday and my bra was agony. When I took it off and had a look I had a big bruise. It looks like my boob slipped out from under the wire and caused it.

My boobs are in a sad state following 2 close pregnancies followed by extended breastfeeding, not helped by me being quite overweight.

I've lost a lot of fullness and they are extremely saggy.

I now think I need to re-measure. I've seen some reference to measuring bending over but unsure exactly what that entails. I dread to think what I might measure this way.

I also need advice for bras to suit my shape.

I live in the middle of nowhere, outside the UK so the chances of getting a good fitting done in store is very slim.

leolantern Sun 23-Feb-14 14:41:54

Ouch! I would say that if you boob can slip out under the underwire of you bra then it is too big.
I am not a bra expert but hopefully someone with the relevent knowledge will be along shortly with better advice

purpleminion Sun 23-Feb-14 14:50:01

Thanks leo. I've changed into a non-wired sports bra and it is more comfortable for now.

I wonder if the band is too small. I can't imagine going down to a 36 back though. I am a size 18.

purpleminion Sun 23-Feb-14 14:50:36

Sorry -I meant I wonder if the band is too big not small.

OneLittleLady Sun 23-Feb-14 14:54:39

I was a size 18 in a 36 back so it is entirely plausible. If you're slipping out from under the band then it's definitely too big. If you do a remeasure then I'm sure the gurus will be along shortly to give you a starting point with your neasurements

SorrelForbes Sun 23-Feb-14 15:00:32

Can you re-measure following this guide?

purpleminion Sun 23-Feb-14 15:10:08

Just re-measured. I'm slightly under 38 inches under the bust and when leaning over I measured 49 inches!

My boobs are very soft and empty though.

I'm definitely not spilling out above the cups on my F bras but definitely have a problem.

SorrelForbes Sun 23-Feb-14 15:23:59

Your measurements suggest a starting point of 36J/HH and 38HH/H which is obviously a much bigger cup than your 38F.

The 38 sounds too big so I'd try a 36 (and possibly a 34).

If you scoop, do you get any overspill?

purpleminion Sun 23-Feb-14 15:31:27

Does the composition of the breast make a big difference to how much fits in the cup?

I do scoop and no overspill but now I think that could be because the bottom of my breasts are not properly contained.

I think, regardless of expense, I am going to have to get to a good shop and try on. It could be weeks though and I am in dread of putting back on the troublesome bras again. All my bras are the same as they seemed so much better when I bought them.

Any advice on styles? I like full cup styles usually.

SorrelForbes Sun 23-Feb-14 15:54:32

Absolutely yes, breast shape makes such a difference to which bras/brands will work for you.

Do you think you may have a bit of the 'orange in the glass effect'? This is when the cup isn't big enough for the breast to actually fit right into the bottom of the cup IYSWIM?

purpleminion Sun 23-Feb-14 16:25:18

I'm not sure if it's that or if the band has become too loose and that what is causing me to slip out of it.

Can't tolerate the underwires today but will have a good look in the mirror tomorrow and assess.

Thanks for your help with this sorrel.

It does sound like the size is off. It's very common for people to need their rounded down size anyway, and if you are slightly softer around the torso (not meaning to sound rude/mean, I am too!), then quite often you will need to go down in the band so that it can get enough grip.

I'm roughly a 14, but even at a 16 I was a 30 band so it's perfectly possible that you need to go down. If your boobs can get out the bottom it's definitely too big. I'm wondering if you are wearing it too high as well. When you try it on again, bend forward, put your arms through the straps, drop your breasts into the cup and then fasten it up. Then, stand side on to a mirror and scoop all the soft flesh in your armpits and back in to the cup. Make sure that the underwires is below your breasts (putting it on this way will help) and then evaluate the fit

purpleminion Sun 23-Feb-14 19:19:55

Thanks statistically. No offence taken. I have all the firmness of a dough ball at the moment so will try sizing down on the band.

I will try your method. I usually put on and tie band back to front and swivel around.

I've been wearing a non wired sports bra all day and can't believe how comfortable I feel. Hope I haven't caused my poor boobs any real damage. The bras I've been wearing are obviously all wrong.

That in itself says it's too big. It's extremely difficult to swivel a well fitting bra.

purpleminion Mon 24-Feb-14 19:32:03

Tried on a 36 G today - the cups were too small but back was ok. It was the biggest size I could find so couldn't try any more.

Where to from here? A 36 GG ?

SorrelForbes Mon 24-Feb-14 19:54:44

Yep 36GG, then H, HH, J, JJ

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now