Talk

Advanced search

alternative to Estee Lauder doublewear for dry skin

(21 Posts)
muchchocolate Sat 22-Feb-14 19:26:21

I've used doublewear for ages now and love the coverage it gives and the way it evens out my skin tone, however as I approach my late 30s my skin is getting drier and I think it may be time to look for a new foundation. So any recommendations? I'm also very pale which can make it difficult to find a good match, I use shell in the doublewear. thanks! grin grin

Eliza22 Sat 22-Feb-14 19:52:17

Lancôme Teint Idole Ultra 24 HR

Eliza22 Sat 22-Feb-14 19:54:09

Sorry, meant to say.... Lots of shades and good on my dry with "bit of a T Zone" skin smile they'll give you a 7 Day Sample of colour matched foundation to take home.

muchchocolate Sat 22-Feb-14 20:37:29

great, thanks, will get down to boots tmr and see if I can get a sample! smile smile

emsyj Sat 22-Feb-14 21:37:54

MAC Studio Fix is a very similar coverage but less dry/drying. It also lasts well. I used it before switching to Double wear as my skin is very oily so the dryness of it suits my skin better, but Studio Fix is very similar in many ways.

LabradorMama Sat 22-Feb-14 21:40:34

Illamasqua Skin Base gives good coverage, especially applied with a stippling brush or similar, but is less drying than Double Wear. There's also a good Clarins one specifically for dry skin which I can't remember the name of (helpful!)

GretaWolfcastle Sat 22-Feb-14 21:48:22

Vitalumiere

LabradorMama Sat 22-Feb-14 21:49:29

Ooh good point Greta, Prolumiere is good too, a bit thicker

emsyj Sat 22-Feb-14 21:52:13

Wasn't Pro lumiere discontinued?

muchchocolate Sat 22-Feb-14 22:45:41

great thanks for all the suggestions, will definitely see how many I can sample at boots or debenhams.

iamusuallybeingunreasonable Sat 22-Feb-14 22:50:49

I am marking my place as I am having the exact same dilemma!

Walnut8 Sun 23-Feb-14 09:53:38

Prolumuiere was awful for me, not surprised if they discontinued it - cakey and awful.
Vitalumiere doesn't have the staying power of DW - way more dewy.
Beware MAC studio fix as it often oxidises and can look really orange on pale skin.
I love the Lancome one Eliza referred to but you will find with most long lasting, good coverage ones, that they are drying and ageing to some degree! Perhaps also try Revlon colorstay.

RonaldMcDonald Sun 23-Feb-14 10:15:32

try urban decay naked...surprisingly good

lurkingaround Sun 23-Feb-14 11:39:46

I love Vitalumiére. Was previously a ELDW Light fan. But they changed it I think. Bloody awful stuff now. Vitalumiére is not long lasting tho.

Revlon do a long lasting one. Colourstay. Quite good. 24 hour stuff. And they do one for dry skin.

I like the Lancome one too for the same reason - copes with oil but doesn't dry out my skin. I still use doublewear sometimes but the lancome is my go to.

Housewife2010 Sun 23-Feb-14 12:09:33

I have very dry skin and am a recent convert to EL Doublewear Light. If you ask at an EL counter they'll give you a sample bottle which lasts about 10 days.

anchovies Sun 23-Feb-14 12:13:16

I had this problem and now just use a richer moisturiser, estee lauder idealist and primer to make sure my skin is well moisturised before hand. I like Giorgio Armani luminous silk foundation but nothing comes close to the coverage and lasting power of DW.

MarianForrester Sun 23-Feb-14 12:26:18

I have just been having this exact problem. Nothing I have trie gives the coverage of DW. The DW light is really too dark for me in the winter. The Urban Decay naked one is good, but again too dark.

The best I have come up with is a mixture of this jouer,tinted moisturiser in opal and this rimmel match perfection in light porcelain.

Dust a bit of powder on my nose and chin and seems to hide my dry, crone like forty something skinsmile

Doesn't have the staying power or redness coverage of DW, but it is buildable.

AntoinetteCosway Sun 23-Feb-14 12:53:11

Have you tried the light version of Doublewear?

muchchocolate Sun 23-Feb-14 18:57:22

I find the light version of doublewear doesn't have a pale enough shade for me. Lots to look at and try!

Housewife2010 Tue 25-Feb-14 12:22:01

There are lots more shades of EL Doublewear now - 11 shades. Lightest is 0.5.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now