Talk

Advanced search

what should I wear to an interview?!

(25 Posts)
TickleMyTitsTillFriday Sat 22-Feb-14 13:10:33

Haven't even been offered one yet but I do like to be organised.
I am 34, blonde, size 16/18 and 5ft 2.
I live in h and m stretchy dresses or skirts and biker boots, even to work as none of my smart clothes fit me!
I do have a stretch pencil skirt that could work and a jacket but its been so long I am stumped, help!

chibi Sat 22-Feb-14 13:11:52

what kind of role is it?

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Sat 22-Feb-14 14:19:23

Office administration smile

chibi Sat 22-Feb-14 14:29:29

thinking of the admin team at my work, they wear a lot of wrap dresses and the like. i would go for something similar, in a solid colour with some simple accessories

wallis always has good dresses which are a good weight of jersey. which colours suit you? what is your body shape?

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Sat 22-Feb-14 14:37:57

Wrap dress is a great idea actually, thank you! What shoes? I have some ankle chelsea heeled boots, would they work or am I better with court shoes?

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Sat 22-Feb-14 14:38:59

Oh sorry body shape, I guess a bit pear? My stomach worries me as I am so overweight but I have a good waist. Colours, black, purple, deep dark red?

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Sat 22-Feb-14 14:42:25

m.phase-eight.co.uk/fcp/product/phase-eight//Maisie-Wrap-Dress/202194257

what do you think of this with smart jacket and nice scarf?

chibi Sat 22-Feb-14 14:52:56

great dress, i like how they gave styled it too- opaques and shoe boots= win

i would try it on tho, could be v cleavage-y

a smart jacket with it would work, but it doesn't need one

i prefer a necklace over a scarf tbh

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Sat 22-Feb-14 14:53:09

Ohttp://www.baukjen.com/uk/m/shop/baukjen/dresses/jersey-drape-dress-caviar-black.htm this one:

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Sat 22-Feb-14 14:53:29

www.baukjen.com/uk/m/shop/baukjen/dresses/jersey-drape-dress-caviar-black.htm

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Sat 22-Feb-14 14:54:35

Thank you Chibi I would never have thought of a wrap dress!

Incapinka Sat 22-Feb-14 14:58:58

Our hr manager wouldn't employ anyone who wasn't wearing a
Suit. Even in internal interviews. She was bonkers but it has always stayed with me.

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Sat 22-Feb-14 15:06:51

Oh no really sad I don't know if a suit would do me any favours!
I have a suit jacket I could wear with the dress. Would that count?!

chibi Sat 22-Feb-14 15:16:16

it really depends on the character of the place, i think. i don't think you can be too formal

a jacket + wrap dress might look a bit odd because the fabrics are very different

you could wear a jacket with a more structured dress e.g. ponte

i had an interview somewhere v conservative recently- i wore a royal purple belted shift dress with a black m&s blazer, opaques and shoe boots

...i got the job smile

chibi Sat 22-Feb-14 15:18:10

i.e. this

with a blazer. the shape could work for a pear

HelloBoys Sat 22-Feb-14 15:38:57

What I tend to do is shift dress and jacket both interviews (if I get 2nd) or shift dress and jacket (but both shift dresses are small cap sleeves, also got work black dress from Warehouse that's smart with jacket.

If I think it's v formal I'll go suit mode too. With shirt.

I don't think any harm in suits but dress with jacket and courts would be better than boots ime.

HelloBoys Sat 22-Feb-14 15:42:52

The wallis dress is great (with jacket) don't like the baukjen one and its black so you'd need to brighten with accessories. They don't want you in funeral attire!

Phase eight dress nice but maybe a tad casual. If you do do a black dress it needs to be more wallis type and with bright accessories.

I was once caught (by female boss) applying lipstick before interview but she joked about it and I got that job!

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Sat 22-Feb-14 16:36:07

Thanks all, I will have a look at some dresses like the wallis one and get me spanx out!

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Sat 22-Feb-14 20:03:32

www.damselinadress.co.uk/shop/dresses/day-dresses/floris-stripe-print-dress-grey

what about this one?

chibi Sat 22-Feb-14 21:23:05

no. i prefer a colour. the shape is awful too, you could end up looking like a titsy rectangle.

go for ponte, colour and a belt

HelloBoys Sat 22-Feb-14 21:35:00

No to the Damsel dress too sorry it's too busy and printed for an interview.

I agree with Chibi ponte colour and belt way to go. Put ponte in search engine maybe Debenhams etc have one?

Blondieminx Sat 22-Feb-14 21:37:16

Watching with interest as I may have interviews coming up! Love that dress chibi.

Just wanted to add that the baukjen ones are a lovely weight of jersey and are very well made. That's a lovely style but how about this zingy bright blue which looks fab on blondes instead? With opaques, court style shoes and a chunky necklace?

HelloBoys Sat 22-Feb-14 22:13:13

Blondie that dress is great but even more in that color it looks clingy and showcases the figure which isn't what an interview is about!

I wouldn't employ someone wearing that sorry not appropriate.

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Sat 22-Feb-14 22:19:01

Just to say thank you, I think I have found the dress, will come and add a pic when I get it to see what you all think. Now all I have to do is get an interview!

Hopefully Sat 22-Feb-14 22:27:55

I would go dress and blazer - a jacket always makes things look more professional. And neat make up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now