Talk

Advanced search

Quick question about navy and black...

(20 Posts)
SabrinaMulhollandJjones Fri 21-Feb-14 19:55:57

Can I wear a navy dress with black tights/black boots. Or neutral tights/black boots?

Also, can I wear a navy suit with a black coat on top?

I know there used to be sort of "rules" about navy with black - I don't want to commit a style faux pas.

MomentForLife Fri 21-Feb-14 19:57:45

I think navy and black is seen as ok now.

Yes. I really like navy and black. But maybe no to nude tights and black shoes with navy - opaques and boots better, I think.

bettykt Fri 21-Feb-14 19:58:33

Watching with interest as I'm trying to convert myself to navy from black and wonder what colour tights to wear, navy? neutral? and whether it's okay to wear black shoes or should they be navy. Navy shoes are so much more hard to come by.

MomentForLife Fri 21-Feb-14 20:22:33

I always wear black tights and shoes with navy.

Hopefully Fri 21-Feb-14 20:26:09

I like it when it's quite a monochrome statement look (and therefore clearly intentional).

alwaysneedaholiday Fri 21-Feb-14 20:29:03

I think navy and black are supposed to be the height of elegance these days!

Although as someone mentioned on MN before, not see-through black leggings with a faded navy hoody wink

cloudskitchen Fri 21-Feb-14 20:29:50

I never wear navy and black. To me it looks like you've made a half hearted effort to match but not quite got there grin

Lucked Fri 21-Feb-14 20:31:22

If the dress can be worn with a belt, a black belt would make it a more obvious statement with black tights and boots.

IamInvisible Fri 21-Feb-14 20:34:01

I wear navy and black, I think it's ok now isn't it?

bettykt Fri 21-Feb-14 20:34:59

So a navy skirt with black tight and black boots/shoes is acceptable? I don't have to go out and buy navy tights and navy shoes? Sorry for butting in on your thread OP.

missmagnum Fri 21-Feb-14 20:36:47

I think it depends on the shade of navy, i don't think very dark navy looks right with black.

sotiredfornow Fri 21-Feb-14 20:38:43

I actually think navy and black look great together. Only if the navy is not super dark though; there needs to be some contrast.

MomentForLife Fri 21-Feb-14 20:38:50

I think so. I suppose it does depend on the fabric etc but I have worn a navy fitted dress with black tights and shoe boots.

I wouldn't wear a navy work wear jacket with black trousers for example, but when it's in a 'modern' kind of way I think it looks nice.

MomentForLife Fri 21-Feb-14 20:39:41

Agree about the shade of navy

Navy silk dress, black opaques and black shoes = lovely.

cerealqueen Fri 21-Feb-14 20:56:08

Very dark navy and black, no. Black and a good french navy or indigo navy, yes. I would wear black tights then, or grey patterned or net type tights?

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Fri 21-Feb-14 21:19:18

Great - thanks, puts my mind at rest smile

Girl339 Fri 21-Feb-14 21:28:53

I LOVE navy and black together, it looks great (I work in fashion so hopefully know what I'm talking about!) I agree that you need to make sure it's a lighter navy though. You'll look fab! smile

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Fri 21-Feb-14 21:30:27

Oh, and don't worry - I definitely won't be going down the see-through leggings route grin This will be an ultra smart look - aiming for chic. <hopeful>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now