Talk

Advanced search

Ruined collar and cuffs

(10 Posts)
Sightoabloodyscream Fri 21-Feb-14 15:01:42

Couldn't decide if this was Good Housekeeping or s&B really.

I have a black top with white collar and cuffs. I love it. It makes me look like a sexy 50s/60s secretary (or a member of the clergy, cheers boss).

I have worn it twice. It now has grey collar and cuffs, thanks to a washing accident.

Can I fix it?

Hopefully Fri 21-Feb-14 15:13:20

You can buy those dye run absorber sheets in the supermarket. They work best when they are used every wash (i.e. before the dye sets into the lighter colour), but will help over a few washes.

Sightoabloodyscream Fri 21-Feb-14 15:37:04

Will they work if the top's Black and white? I was tempted to spray mould remover on the white bits to try and bleach them, but had the imagination to see what might happen to the black.

wifeandmotherandlotsofother Fri 21-Feb-14 18:07:50

Colour run remover, any biggish supermarket will have it and then the colour absorber sheets in every wash.

RonaldMcDonald Fri 21-Feb-14 18:14:33

I thought that this was a disaster involving your barnet and muff

Hopefully Fri 21-Feb-14 18:17:16

I don't see why it wouldn't work - it shouldn't leech the colour out of the black, just 'catch' any that floats out during the wash. My expertise on this matter is 90% drawn from watching the advert on TV, of course...

Sightoabloodyscream Fri 21-Feb-14 19:27:27

Ronald wink

I am a sucker for anything that comes in a sachet and goes in the washing machine, so I will trawl TEsco. Failing that, Home Bargains can come up trumps with all manner of washing paraphenalia.

adagio Fri 21-Feb-14 19:31:45

I would try ace, potentially if that failed hence shirt knackered anyway try colour run remover but try to make it in a bowl/jug and only immerse the collar and cuffs, not the whole top, then wash.

Sightoabloodyscream Fri 21-Feb-14 19:35:17

I had the collar and cuffs soaking in fairy today, but that didn't do much. Bloody thing's going to cost more in washing solutions than I paid (�5 in primark sale!).

That'll teach me to ignore washing instructions "30o cool wsah".

burnishedsilver Fri 21-Feb-14 19:35:57

It was bound to happen. I don't know why they make such things when theres no way to wash them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now