Talk

Advanced search

Will I look like a right banana in high tops?

(23 Posts)
Ber2291 Fri 21-Feb-14 10:35:02

Am preg with number 2 and facing months of maternity leave with packs of walking around to maintain sanity (if I remember correctly).

I'm currently wearing boots with heels etc and starting to feel all exhausted and uncomfortable. I want to get some comfy shoes but still look semi sort of trendy/stylish (if there is such a possibility) so was wondering whether maybe high tops might be a good idea. I.e. they are trainers so proper shoes but still have something 'cool' about them.

My feet are quite big though so am worried about looking clownish also am a dowdy mum (who makes an effort but is still not a cool teenager) so worried I'll look a prat.

Any opinions or suggestions of nice ones? I don't want to spend too much but I would spend a bit if I really fell in love and felt like I would wear them all the time.

Trooperslane Fri 21-Feb-14 10:36:00

Converse?

RayPurchase Fri 21-Feb-14 10:37:38

Only of they're yellow wink

Ber2291 Fri 21-Feb-14 10:40:34

Are converse good and comfy though? Hear all sorts of things about how they aren't actually proper and bad for feet etc.

issimma Fri 21-Feb-14 10:52:16

Converse are fab, as are Ash. Do it grin!

StephenKatz Fri 21-Feb-14 10:54:50

< lurks >

I'm always frightened that with my size 8 feet I'd look like a clown sad

Ber2291 Fri 21-Feb-14 11:12:24

What about a substantial plimsol type type thing?

http://www.schuh.co.uk/womens-turquoise-dunlop-green-flash-lace-suede/1931045650/

Maybe slightly less clunky for the clown feet?

AmberNectarine Fri 21-Feb-14 13:02:25

I love and love in high tops. My favourite are Jimmy Choo, but I appreciate they're a bit of an investment! I'm wearing Converse Chuck Taylors today. Nike also do some funky ones.

Ber2291 Fri 21-Feb-14 14:01:56

Jimmy Choo!! Glam!

What do we think of these http://www.sportsdirect.com/nike-bruin-mid-lite-ladies-trainers-275878?colcode=27587808 ?

burnishedsilver Fri 21-Feb-14 14:15:11

Converse definately make feet look bigger

mysteryfairy Fri 21-Feb-14 14:19:21

I've had some ash wedge trainers that are incredibly comfy. My feet are relatively small in proportion to my height (size 5 trainers and 5ft 10). My feet looked a bit too dinky in them i.e. like little trotters and I have just passed them on to 5ft 1 tall 12 year old DD. They would be a fab option if you did want to minimise bigger feet though and did I mention really comfy!?

LaTrucha Fri 21-Feb-14 14:22:04

I always wonder this. There are some brown one in Next at the moment which I like. I am put off because I am 40 but I always have a peek at them

WhereIsMyHat Fri 21-Feb-14 14:43:02

How about superga if you like those Dunlop ones?

www.superga.co.uk/browse/Classic2750_360_0_0_na_womens_12.html#pl45,ph45,sb0,pp1,pa0,sa

I like the Nike ones you linked but it depends what you'd be wearing then with?

RonaldMcDonald Fri 21-Feb-14 14:51:44

High tops are the answer...heeled or otherwise
Converse not so much now...mebbe with boyfriends or <gasp> widelegged trews? They murder my feet they have zero arch support, not great for preggo

My feet are a full 42 and they look perfectly in proportion to my height <bout 5ft10>
My legs are like strings though so I worry that I look like golf clubs from time to time. The Ash heeled high tops make your feet look much smaller if that really is your concern and they are v comfy

RonaldMcDonald Fri 21-Feb-14 14:53:06

oh totally agreeing with what mysteryfairy said

MillyBlods Fri 21-Feb-14 14:57:02

How old are you if you don't mind me asking smile

MillyBlods Fri 21-Feb-14 14:59:14

Converse look great with a more bootcut jean and or course they are a classic which any age can wear. You can get some lovely neutral coloured ones too if you prefer that elegant look.

MillyBlods Fri 21-Feb-14 15:00:08

sorry meant that if you have big fit that the bootcut jean and converse works particularly well to minimise the look of big feet. Im a size 8.

Ber2291 Fri 21-Feb-14 15:03:10

I am 25 but in now way cool, trendy or able to pull off anything. Am thinking I'd be wearing them with leggings, jeans or maybe even <whisper> denim shorts (high waisted ones biggish ones with tights obviously not sexy hot pants!) don't think I could pull off with dresses or skirts (have horrible legs).

Precociousmoi Fri 21-Feb-14 15:12:18

I've traded up from Converse to Ash, only this week as it happens!

I have to say they are 100 times more comfy than my beloved converse, ( of which I have many, many pairs) blush and they are leather so are more substantial IFKWIM?

I've gone for the flat ones, not the wedge. Look fab with skinnies and straights. (Have double checked to see I don't look like a golf club in skinnies) grin

Skivvywoman Fri 21-Feb-14 15:32:00

I've never owned a pair but my best friend and other friends do, my best friend is small and heavy and she doesn't suit them at all but my other friend who is tall and slim suits them but both say they are super comfy!

Dancingqueen17 Fri 21-Feb-14 15:40:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RonaldMcDonald Fri 21-Feb-14 15:46:07

OP
I am 41 and hightops have been a large part of my wardrobe along with Pistols for the last few years..I may be getting over them now but cannot bear Nike Airs and therefore am a teeny bit stuck

I wouldn't ever wear bootcuts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now