Talk

Advanced search

Dull, tired looking skin. Recommend me a good skin care routine that doesn't cost the earth or take hours!

(21 Posts)
way2serious Thu 20-Feb-14 20:07:48

My skin is looking very dull and dehydrated. I don't have a good skin care routine other than soap and water. I still get some spots and blackheads but the sides of my face can sometimes feel a little dry. My diet hasn't been good this week as I am on half term but will improve again once I am back at work. I don't want to spend a fortune on products and I don't have hours to spend in the bathroom every day so what would you recommend and would you recommend a CC cream as a foundation?

foxinorangesocks Thu 20-Feb-14 20:16:12

My suggestions would be to ditch the soap and water and move onto hot cloth cleansing which would take the same amount of time. Superdrug do a very reasonable one that comes with a muslin cloth, I think its about four pounds. I then use a toner, serum and moisturiser but appreciate this isn't for everyone! I ditched wipes a few years ago and started to really take care of my skin and it has made a HUGE difference. I no longer have any dry flaky bits. As a minimum, hot cleanse and then moisturise. I use clarins as I haven't had much luck finding a budget face cream that does the job but when I am skint I use bog standard nivea and have never had any issues with it. Avon has some OK ones too.

way2serious Thu 20-Feb-14 20:21:48

Silly question but how do you hot cloth cleanse and what is double cleansing?

Yes to the Superdrug stuff - the ones in green packaging, plus the Vitamin E oil at night time (the latter is a Thing of Wonder imho).

OldBagWantsNewBag Thu 20-Feb-14 20:27:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Blithereens Thu 20-Feb-14 20:33:20

I posted a similar thread rececntly and was recommended the Superdrug radiance Hot Cloth Cleanser. Nice and cheap, comes with a muslin but I've been using normal flannels too and they work just as well, and has really brightened my skin up in just a few days!!

You just massage a blob of cleanser into your dry face, then wipe off with the cloth wrung out in hand-hot water. Easy as pie. Then moisturise. Superdrug do one in the same range.

way2serious Thu 20-Feb-14 20:36:55

Sounds like a trip to super drug is needed!

Dontbugmemalone Thu 20-Feb-14 20:45:39

I've used the superdrug cloth cleanser and had an allergic reaction to it. I realised after I used it that it contained alcohol which dried my skin terribly as well as causing red blotches. Not trying to scare you just be aware of it.

foxinorangesocks Thu 20-Feb-14 20:49:53

Check out Caroline Hirons blog, it has all the info on cleansing etc. I love her a little bit.

GlamGemini Thu 20-Feb-14 21:11:19

Hello, am new, but LOVE my skincare stuff.

I can also recommend a read of Caroline Hirons blog, I LOVE her.
I recommend getting a good moisturiser. Also, body shop facial massager, its about £6 and best thing I ever got, does wonders for the skin. As recommended on Caroline's blog.

I must admit I'm still a bit of a soap and water girl (eeeeek!) just can't get on with the right cleanser, they all seem to dry my skin out. I have just introduced a toner though, Liz Earle's Skin Boost Tonic, its a hydrating one and its lovely on a night time before moisturiser.

Also face masks are good, try a few see what you like. x

bonvivant Thu 20-Feb-14 21:14:22

I do love Soap & Glory Peaches and Clean cleanser - was recommended by a colleague and it's the best cleanser I've tried (and I've tried a lot from £ to £££) - well maybe Eve Lom was slightly better but hey, there's a vast difference in the price.

JemimaPuddle Thu 20-Feb-14 21:17:53

I've recommended this so much on these threads but my budget skincare (after using very expensive stuff previously is:
Superdrug vitamin E hot cloth cleanser
Superdrug vitamin e face oil
Superdrug vitamin e night cream & vitamin e intensive moisture cream.

I do use Alpha H liquid gold twice a week but other than that it's all superdrug vit e. it says its for normal to dry skin but I have normal/combination and its totally balanced my skin out and is really clearing all the red marks I had from previous breakouts.
Best of all it's really cheap £2.99 for most and £4.99 ish for the cleanser. Often on offer too smile

WillowPark Thu 20-Feb-14 22:02:51

Hydralon!!

RonaldMcDonald Thu 20-Feb-14 22:18:03

Use Olay facial washcloths sensitive ( v gentle foams up and rinses off, reduces all need for exfoliant)
Neutrogena 3in1 stress hydrating moisturiser stuff it'll get rid of your blackheads as it's an absolutely brilliant bha
Olay fragrance free serum regenerist fantastico
Olay fragrance free regenerist moisturiser if you feel the need
All the Olay products can be used around your eyes so no need for an eyecream

Your skin will be utterly different in one month. Cheap but extremely effective products especially if skin is sensitive or spotty

RonaldMcDonald Thu 20-Feb-14 22:21:51

Please don't use St Ives...far, far too abrasive

OldBagWantsNewBag Thu 20-Feb-14 23:10:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RonaldMcDonald Thu 20-Feb-14 23:16:04

Okay, sorry, far far too abrasive for most people and an aha or bha is more effective with the plus of being a good deal more gentle

WeGotAnnie Thu 20-Feb-14 23:16:15

Another Superdrug convert.

At night, I use the Superdrug Vit E hot cloth cleanser, followed by a quick facial massage with a few drops of Weleda almond facial oil, then when thats absorbed, slap on some Superdrug Vit E night cream and Vit E eye cream (all cheap as chips).

Morning, I just wash my face with warm water and a soft flannel, and use Superdrug Radiant moisturizer and more Vit E eye cream.

Once a week or so, I use Clinique facial scrub and a Simple face mask.

johndev Fri 21-Feb-14 12:38:17

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

mayhew Fri 21-Feb-14 13:06:31

I have a very cheap and effective hot cloth routine. Clean face cloth each time. Use a hair band. Massage face with aqueous cream. Rub off with hot damp facecloth. Moisturise.

heppleam Fri 21-Feb-14 14:04:05

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now