Talk

Advanced search

I'm bored of jeans! What to wear as a SAHM

(41 Posts)
BeaandMe Thu 20-Feb-14 14:21:37

I live in jeans and ugly bobbly jumpers! I need a bit of an overhaul really but practical clothes are a necessity. We live in the country and I spend most of my time with muddy shoes and often find myself walking hills or through woods. I'm a cold person so warm clothes are a must. I'm 5'4 and a size 10 so should be fairly easy to dress but seem to look frumpy alot!

I saw the film Adore recently and loved the clothes Robin Wright wore in it....but then again she is stunning so it may be just her. Anyway, she wore alot of shirts so I thought that could be a look.....

Any thoughts? smile

MrsMarigold Thu 20-Feb-14 14:31:21

Can I join you? - same height and size my friend says it's all about accessories, but what accessories? I usually wear bright scarves, earring bracelets, I've tried shirts but they are a bit chilly.

summerlovingliz Thu 20-Feb-14 14:34:01

Leggings or tights and jumper dresses? Maybe a new pair of boots in the sale or some funky joules wellies

issimma Thu 20-Feb-14 14:35:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DesperateHousewife21 Thu 20-Feb-14 14:36:40

Jumper dresses or thinner dresses with chunky cardies (you can then still wear the dresses without cardies when it gets warmer)

Tbh its quite limited, I always feel overdone in a dress (am also a SAHM) Im also sick of jeans but I suppose there is a reason I wear them everyday, practical and skinny jeans are stylish!

BeaandMe Thu 20-Feb-14 14:39:08

Yes please! I really have no idea what to wear. Most of my clothes are about a decade old. It would be great to manage to look both up to date and classic at the same time....is that possible?

It would be good to be able to wear things that were up to date without dressing exactly the same as everyone else too. A few years back I was standing in a playground and noticed that I was basically wearing the same clothes as all the other women in their thirties with children - skinny jeans, knee high boots, a blazer and some kind of drapey scarf! I don't want to wear a mummy uniform!

I'm wearing a shirt today (a collarless one) and am a bit chilly...I'm sitting here with a blanket around my shoulders grin!

BeaandMe Thu 20-Feb-14 14:41:34

Oops slow at typing. That yes please was to Mrs Marigold!

Do jumper dresses not have the effect of making you seem you have no waist? Then belts always make me look odd!

I do have quite a few wrap dresses...I wore them alot while pregnant.

WhereIsMyHat Thu 20-Feb-14 15:57:54

I'm a SAHM and also have jeans as a uniform. I have quite a few different styles of jeans, so straight, skinny boyfriend etc and then an array of footwear to shake things up a bit but I do find I get a bit bored especially during the colder part of te year. I feel a bit over dressed in dresses for some reason and less comfortable.

Hopefully there'll be some good ideas on this thread.

Whoknowswhocares Thu 20-Feb-14 16:21:06

I have the same issue. No solution as yet though, so I'm going to stick around and see what advice there is.
My wardrobe has dresses,skirts,blouses naice trousers and every accessory known to woman, mostly unworn except on special occasions
What do I wear?
Hiking trousers,jeans, t shirts and fleeces. Usually with a liberal sprinkle of dog hair and mud.blush

Pizdets Thu 20-Feb-14 16:44:39

I got a couple of these dresses recently which are super-comfy. I wear them with biker boots on wet and muddy days and have held up well so far with a big cardie or jumper over the top (they look better if you have some curves to fill them too) http://www.pinterest.com/pin/380202393512936916/

Pizdets Thu 20-Feb-14 16:45:53

Sorry, link fail www.pinterest.com/pin/380202393512936916/

Mrswellyboot Thu 20-Feb-14 16:52:32

I am on ML and I have found treggings a great smart but comfy option. I was. Big fan of boot cuts but actually a black pair of treggings suits me fine too.

Loose style trousers are great too. H&m sell loose trousers and slacks. I bought three pairs and have dumped my old jeans as I was so sick of them and they were nearly threadbare.

BeaandMe Thu 20-Feb-14 17:55:17

Pizdets - I love that dress! It doesn't seem to be available anymore though!

Mrswellyboot - I had to google treggings! They look good!

It seems there are a few of us with this dilemma! I suppose if you wear skinny trousers (like treggings) then you are free to wear a snuggly big jumper, is this the case?

BeaandMe Thu 20-Feb-14 18:04:01

Ok, been on H&M website. What about treggings with a shirt and a sloppy cardi? And ankle boots. I like biker style ankle boots. I'm currently wearing lovely brogues....but I don't think they look right with my clothes.

At 37 can I still shop in H&M? I'll go and look at the Zara website now.

bettykt Thu 20-Feb-14 18:18:36

these seem to get good reviews on here I haven't bought them yet but am sorely tempted to get a pair. They come in a multitude of colours to jazz things up a bit.

I really like the M&S skinnies, or 'jeggings' as they insist on calling them. Also, Whistles tube skirts are brilliant - with opaques, boots and a big jumper.

Pizdets Thu 20-Feb-14 19:33:54

Beaandme, yes it's so comfy and wears well. I got mine in the pop-up shop on Chiswick High Road...they have a sample sale rail in the back room so they were only £30 each! Know you said you're in the country though so not sure it'd be much use.

Treggings and a big cardie sounds lovely. I have seen nice bikers recently on shoeaholics.com if you need some?

Pagwatch Thu 20-Feb-14 19:37:37

I never wear jeans or trousers. I wear dresses and skirts with jumpers and loads of layers.
If I am walking the dogs I put my dog walking boots on.
Yesterday I walked the dogs in an Alice by Temperly dress. Unless you are planning to roll around on the floor whatyou wear on your body just has to be warm enough and comfortable enough.

Pagwatch Thu 20-Feb-14 19:52:08

blush
Bloody hell - that sounded massively wanky. Sorry.
I was going out for lunch. And I was just using an extreme example that you can wear anything you like as long as you have decent boots and coat.

<wanders off to shoot herself>>

ThatBloodyWoman Thu 20-Feb-14 19:53:15

Onesie.

wink

ScienceRocks Thu 20-Feb-14 20:07:32

I wear leggings, a long sleeved top and a straightish dress on top, usually with a thin cardigan. It makes me feel vaguely presentable, but is comfy and warm.

I am not a true sahm, but I work from home and do all the school and nursery runs as well as covering holidays etc, so probably have very similar requirements.

HelloBoys Thu 20-Feb-14 20:10:29

If you don't mind their styles then dresses by White Stuff, Mantaray, Fat Face (jersey) seem good.

leggings with long tops? and cardigans (long slouchy things) over.

Oasis DID do a nice longer ribbed skirt that's dead easy to walk in and you can layer. Zara had nice long sleeved relaxed tops bit longer in length (I got star print).

HelloBoys Thu 20-Feb-14 20:12:05

OP - of COURSE you can shop in H&M, I even see the older mums (30 and above) going in the Divided H&M shop in Wimbledon where I work as their stuff is a bit younger sometimes and edgier.

ScienceRocks Thu 20-Feb-14 20:16:13

Bea, I am the same height and dress size as you if that helps. I often get told I dress well, but I think my style is quite eclectic. I buy my dresses from Boden (I know), h and m, oasis, sainsburys and matalan. Warmth matters to me too, hence the layering.

So today I am wearing black leggings and a black long sleeved round neck top with boden's tarifa dress in olive, a purple thin cardigan and a bright pink scarf.

That sounds horrific, doesn't it? It really isn't, I promise.

ThatBloodyWoman Thu 20-Feb-14 20:17:38

grin at older mum' s being 30 and above!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now