Talk

Advanced search

So after nine months of pregnancy and 14 months of breastfeeding I need to buy some new bras.....

(17 Posts)
BeaandMe Thu 20-Feb-14 14:11:25

DD is now weaned but I am still wearing nursing bras! I was hoping to buy some online using the debenhams website as I live in the middle of nowhere. Can someone let me know how to measure myself.....all I can see from the other threads is that you measure under the breasts and then lean forward and measure again, perhaps around the nipple area?! I also need a sports bra (great new plans grin) any suggestions?

Thanks smile

ppeatfruit Thu 20-Feb-14 15:07:50

You may not go for Marks but IME they cater for all tastes and styles (and they're the only firm who do a comfortable cross your heart cotton bra that is a reasonable price)

They have a brilliant website too. Yes I think you've got the measuring right!

The measuring guide is here

Post the numbers up and we'll tell you what size to go for. Personally I really don't rate M&S bras - they seem to be OK for small breasts but utterly awful for bigger ones. Debenhams is a good option as they stock brands like Freya although you may get better deals on Brastop, Mycurvesandme, Leia and Amazon. Amazon and Brastop do free returns. Bravissimo has a fabulous selection

TimothyClaypoleLover Thu 20-Feb-14 16:57:30

I don't rate M&S bras anymore either. Had a terrible fitting experience with them recently and have vowed never to shop for bras there again! If you measure yourself you might be better off!

BeaandMe Thu 20-Feb-14 18:06:39

Thanks, I'll measure myself after the dc are in bed and report back grin!

I started buying bras in debenhams a while back as I live two hours away from M&S and would never go back to M&S for bras now. The best bra I ever had was Bravissimo. I used to have a fairly big bust but two babies later it strangely seems to have shrunk!

ppeatfruit Fri 21-Feb-14 09:57:35

I agree about their fitting. I have used the ideas on here to change my fitting and have bought the 'correct' size from them. (i hate nylony bras and or underwires).

I thought I'd treat myself to a really expensive bra in New York last year it was sooo boring it made M & S ones look exciting.

BeaandMe Fri 21-Feb-14 10:18:33

31 and 36 smile

Try 30dd,30e 32dd and 32d

TriumphFitAdvisor Fri 21-Feb-14 18:27:37

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

triumphfitadviser, advertising isn't allowed here

Boltonlass1972 Fri 21-Feb-14 19:07:15

There's another thread above this I've just replied on. I recommend the lovely ladies at Bravissimo x

BeaandMe Sat 22-Feb-14 18:28:51

Thanks a million statisticallychallenged! smile

So I went to buy a sports bra. I tried on a 30dd but I couldn't even fasten it....as in there was a 2 inch gap! So then I went back and tried on a 32dd and that is what I bought. It is a shock absorber. It fits around the strap (on loosest clip, two fingers could just about fit under). But I think it is probably too tight over the breasts. They look completely flattened, there is some overspill under my armpits and there is no gap in between my breasts. But I had the dc with me and felt a bit rushed. It was also really busy and they seemed to have hardly any sports bras in a 32. I suppose it will definately support me when exercising, but I probably need a bigger cup size for day to day bras!

Siamsa Sat 22-Feb-14 18:45:00

After I stopped bf and trotted off to John Lewis for some new bras, the ladies in the bra department told me to wait a few months/ menstrual cycles before getting measured as things take some time to settle down size-wise. So perhaps don't invest too much in new bras just yet....

Shock absorbers run small.everyone goes up a band in them ime.

gindrinker Sat 22-Feb-14 18:50:31

Sports bras are a different beast.
I'd rather be totally squashed with no movement, than look pert and lovely. I can't cope with bouncing it fucking hurts after a few minutes.

BeaandMe Sat 22-Feb-14 18:52:02

Ooh, I didn't think of that! Thank you for the advice! She was weaned gradually so perhaps it's ok hmm. I still feed her once a day, if that makes a difference, but not a bra wearing time of the day! I bought a sports bra today. It will prob be another fortnight before I buy another bra but perhaps I should wait longer. Bf bras are feeling super loose now though!

BeaandMe Sat 22-Feb-14 18:55:01

Sorry slow typing! Thanks statistically I was a bit unsure of my measuring when it was so very small. I couldn't find my sewing measuring tape and so used a metal measuring tape (the type for diy) and thought since it was not as bendy I had measured myself incorrectly.....

Gin - I agree, don't want movement! The lack of a sports bra that fits has been my excuse for too long, this week I get back to the gym!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now