Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Stuck in a rut of bum covering

(10 Posts)
ClareBaldingsHair Thu 20-Feb-14 11:05:24

I am pear shaped (10 top, 12 bottom) with saddlebags

Since skinnies came out I never let anyone see my bum (bootcuts were OK as they balanced me) so my winter 'uniform' always consists of a long cardi. I sometimes wear leggings and jumper dresses too.

The thing is I am just so bored with it and it's so limiting. There are not that many nice long cardis out there (are there?) and I'm just fed up really.

Does anyone else do this?

squoosh Thu 20-Feb-14 11:12:11

I never cover my bum, I think it can actually make your bum actually look bigger when it's covered by a long cardigan for example. Also makes your legs look shorter.

But yes, skinnies/leggings with an uncovered bum can look very odd so maybe go for straight leg jeans. Much easier to wear and no need to hide your hide.

ClareBaldingsHair Thu 20-Feb-14 12:00:38

Argh yes I think some of my thicker cardis DO make my bum look bigger!

I hear what you are saying about straightegs, thank you. However I tuck my jeans into long boots so I don't think that's going to work for me in winter?

Apatite1 Thu 20-Feb-14 13:08:48

Skirt! Short cardigan. My bum is huge, I've embraced it grin

FrugalFashionista Thu 20-Feb-14 13:29:21

I'm wearing less and less skinnies and love the new more relaxed fits like boyfriends with structured tops (like sweatshirts with slightly curved hems).

I'm a pear too but it's only obvious if I wear a tunic or a long cardigan or something baggy over my hips. The extra material over hips hides them from you - for anyone else, your overall silhouette is more important.

My recipe: darker bottoms, lighter tops that stop about 2 inches under the top of my jeans (ie just below beltline in low- and midrise jeans).

Outfits that cut you visually in half tend to be less flattering than those that follow 3:5 proportions. For me, bum covering and tunics make my legs look shorter.

I've noticed that tops are getting shorter again. This is because flares, boyfriend and girlfriend jeans seem to be gaining ground and if you are wearing them, you'll have to balance the outfit by making the tops less bulky.

NaffOrf Thu 20-Feb-14 13:31:47

Another vote for skirts/dresses. Tucking jeans into boots will just make you look top-heavy, sorry. A-line skirts are your friend, and you can still wear long boots.

Only very few people have the figure for skinny jeans, imho. I'm not one of them - and I can't bear the feeling of tight fabric on my calves, for some reason hmm

FrugalFashionista Thu 20-Feb-14 13:34:28

Oh yes and I wore straight legs a lot last year and at least on me they looked really flattering worn long and pulled over heeled boots (this created a tiny flare that was infinitely more flattering than the parsnip silhouette I tend to get in skinnies). Tucking in never worked for me, the extra material bunched up and ruined the long, lean legline.

ClareBaldingsHair Thu 20-Feb-14 13:51:11

Thanks all, this is so helpful. This really opens my eyes Frugal: "I'm a pear too but it's only obvious if I wear a tunic or a long cardigan or something baggy over my hips. The extra material over hips hides them from you"

I don't really do skirts sadly although I will try harder. Also not keen on boyfriend jeans. I do A line dresses in summer, I find summer dressing a lot easier!

Lighter tops a great idea, thank you for that one

Can you recommend some straight jeans please? And what sort of boots are you wearing with them Frugal?

FrugalFashionista Thu 20-Feb-14 14:29:26

I found great straight leg jeans from J Brand last year (Yoox, Outnet etc, never paid full price). Wore them with navy suede heeled boots (better legline but block heels for comfort) and chelsea boots (comfier) and loafers (warm dry days), this year I'm wearing everything with suede desert boots. Italian women tend to be hippy and they wear heeled boots and wedges a lot. If they wear skinnies, they balance them with extra chunky boots (tucking in).

Make sure that the hem of your top does not hit at your widest point. My widest point is well below my beltline somewhere in the upper saddlebag territory <sigh> For some reason, curved hemlines look really flattering - straight can be problematic. A line dresses are possibly the best shape for me, love A line minis too.

Crazyhours Thu 20-Feb-14 19:36:24

Frugal what do you wear on your feet with boyfriend jeans?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now