Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone ever buy stuff just because it's one of their 'colours' regardless of whether you actually need or want it?!

(18 Posts)
Jemster Wed 19-Feb-14 18:07:21

I've been trying to be more careful buying clothes recently as have far too much black and navy. Trying to buy my autumn colours only but I do find this hard as I never seem to see stuff in the right colours within my budget.

Today I was in White Stuff and found a pair of dark teal leggings in the sale. I was so excited to have found something in one of my colours for just £10.00 that I bought them.

Now home and thinking do I really want them? As usual I have no idea what to wear them with and I'm not sure they're really me, I tend to stick to black leggings.

Does anyone else impulse buy because something is in one of their colours, even if you're not sure you really like it?!

No wonder I have a wardrobe full of non-matching items that I hardly wear....

chanie44 Wed 19-Feb-14 18:11:45

I haven't had my colours done but I wouldn't buy something that I'm unlikely to wear.

I remember seeing a picture of Natalie Cassidy in a horrible outfit and I was wondering if she'd had her colours done as it's a colour I've seen her in before.

I'm no expert, but I think even if a colour is right, there is no point in buying it of the style and cut are wrong.

FrugalFashionista Wed 19-Feb-14 18:20:01

I did this a lot after having my colors done, not any more.
Try to work out what your personal style and comfort zone is. I had a tendency to overbuy pretty but formal clothes and party outfits but have now found what works for me. Now I only wear a handful of colors and really like everything that I buy.

A good rule of thumb when shopping is 'Will I wear it today?' If not, it's probably a mistake unless you are buying a funeral dress or an interview outfit.

passata Wed 19-Feb-14 19:23:15

I have madly bought things that add a 'pop' of my new colours but think carefully about the neutrals. I have been on a mad crusade to add splashes of bright pink and red so bought some really naff things - right colour/wrong material kind of thing.

FrugalFashionista Wed 19-Feb-14 19:40:19

That's exactly where I went overboard - the naff 'pop of color' bits <shudder> The loud 1980s colors in not so great materials. Flimsy stuff from sales.

I don't wear pattern well and I'm not a scarf person and I overdid lipstick (gloss looks much better)!

StyleOverSubstance Wed 19-Feb-14 19:41:35

If it is a style that will suit me, then yes on the basis that it will slot in with my stuff eventually, even if I don't need it right now. But to balance that, there have been some seasons where say, pastels, have been the 'in' thing to have and they absolutely don't suit me, so have bought very little and the choices in 'my' colours have been very limited. Bit swings and roundabouts really.

supadupapupascupa Wed 19-Feb-14 20:04:58

yes i do, and for the most part i have been pleasantly surprised when i get it home and it goes with everything else in my wardrobe. For me this has been the most enlightening part of getting my colours done!

passata Wed 19-Feb-14 21:23:52

My lightbulb moment was charcoal. Never knew it suited me so I've been buying anything and everything I can find in it! Not sure what it goes with but it looks fabulous! grin

TravelinColour Wed 19-Feb-14 21:39:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Snowdown Wed 19-Feb-14 21:46:31

I did buy some coloured jeans but I returned them and I stubbornly refuse to wear Autumn coloured denim. Usually I buy stuff and I deliberately don't wear it or remove tags for a week, it sits in my wardrobe and I mull over whether it has a permanent home, I try it on a few times with lots of difference clothes. I leave back so many clothes it's obscene but it means I indulge my impulses temporarily - sometimes they work out with my other clothes sometimes they go back. I try not to buy from stores that won't accept returns.

JenniMoo Thu 20-Feb-14 07:30:14

I saw those teal leggings and was really excited, only to find they just had a size 8 left which isn't anywhere near my size! What size are yours? ;)

Jemster Thu 20-Feb-14 19:38:55

JenniMoo I got size 12 although I haven't had a chance to try them yet. I'm still pondering whether to take them back as I haven't really got anything to wear with them as I've only just started trying to buy 'autumn' colours. Also although I like the idea of coloured tops, I'm not really keen on the idea of coloured trousers, really I just like my jeans. What would you have worn them with if you'd bought them?

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Thu 20-Feb-14 19:43:35

I think frugal's point of 'will I wear it today?' Is good. My new rule is if I haven't worn something within a week of buying it I take it back (unless it's swimwear/posh frock for particular event etc.)

I think take the teal legs back if you aren't excited about wearing them.

HelloBoys Thu 20-Feb-14 20:17:02

not sure if they're my colour but about 2 years ago got those Gap skinny zipped jeans (bright pink) - I think they didn't have many other colours my size but I love them. Go well with navy etc.

You have to like them and wear them for them to be any good.

Destinysdaughter Thu 20-Feb-14 20:21:50

If you are new to colour it will take time to build up a wardrobe but eventually everything will match! It does take time but I think it's worth having the discipline of only buying clothes in your colours otherwise it defeats the object. I'm also an Autumn, not always the easiest colour to find but just be patient and eventually you will have a unique and stunning wardrobe!

Also make sure it's the right style as well as colour or you'll still end up with stuff you don't wear..,

JenniMoo Thu 20-Feb-14 20:47:40

I have some skirts and dresses I want something other than brown leggings to wear underneath. I think 12 would be pushing it or I'd make you an offer on them, my post baby tummy needs a little bigger than that at the mo!

I've bought and returned lots of things, it's handy to try and match it with what you have already. Lots of things I grabbed in my initial colour excitement got returned...

issimma Fri 21-Feb-14 10:56:49

I check I like it, then check the colour, if that makes sense. Style is as important.

Jemster Fri 21-Feb-14 16:12:50

I have returned the leggings today and got
my tenner back! It really was an impulse buy. Thanks everyone for your replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now