Talk

Advanced search

I'm fat - is it possible to look good at all?

(11 Posts)
30SecondsToVenus Wed 19-Feb-14 15:02:46

I'm struggling. I always wear jeans, jumpers and converse. Occasionally a pair of call length light brown boots over light or dark skinny jeans but I always look a mess.

I'm a size 20, 5'8 and have very broad shoulders and back.

I'm losing weight well but I need new clothes to make me feel more confident.

I have really skinny legs, my problem is my stomach. It's massive and I'd say I was apple shaped.

I would love a pair of high waisted black skinny jeans, heels and a white top to go with it but I can't seem to find any that would suit me.

Also a pair of calf length darker brown boots would be amazing. Any ideas?

I'm on a low budget, I'm a single parent and work in a supermarket so I'm not flush smile

emsyj Wed 19-Feb-14 15:18:25

I would look in Dorothy Perkins for some high waisted skinny jeans. I've got several pairs from there in black and dark wash and they are really nice quality, very stretchy (buy a size down, they will give a bit in the wash) and hold everything in. One of my work colleagues (female) told me my bum looked really good in them in the office the other week! grin Their high waist jeans are about £20-28 depending on the style.

ShatzePage Wed 19-Feb-14 15:28:25

I would not wear skinny jeans at all if you are an apple shape-I am and they don't suit at all.

I would be looking to wear more dresses-cinch them in at the waist to give the illusion of an hour glass rather than apple shape and wear them with tights,footless tights or leggings.

TheWanderingUterus Wed 19-Feb-14 15:37:12

I am a similar size and I do exactly what Shatze suggested.
And a well fitting bra, tailored t-shirt/shirt and circle/skater skirts with a belt, think 1950s vibe.

Also I wear quite a lot of colourful accessories, shoes, scarves etc. I get a lot of compliments and my self esteem has had a massive boost.

I'm size 18-20 and 5' 4" - I have found in the last 6 months dresses are the way to go for me.

Tesco F&F are where I got my two best ones - nice heavy jersey, tailored. I wear them with dark tights and nice ankle boots - if you are apple shape and have good legs even better (I'm a bit of a short arse)

I've even started wearing dresses at the weekend instead of manky trackies. Feel much better/more groomed.

schmee Wed 19-Feb-14 15:48:27

I'm roughly the same size as you (although I wouldn't call my legs skinny). I'm not sure about the whole cinching the waist in thing - I've never been able to make it work for me. But I live in dresses, either with leggings or coloured opaque tights. Good quality jersey dress (white stuff, sea salt etc) are easier and more comfortable to wear than jeans. Team with a big scarf.

maggiemight Wed 19-Feb-14 15:51:26

Posture is everything I think. How is yours, could you improve it? I look much slimmer when I stand straight ie lift my ribcage using abdo muscles, not just pull my shoulders back.

lookingfoxy Wed 19-Feb-14 15:54:17

What about tops that come in under the bust, that disguises the tummy a bit, if youve skinny legs then jeans could add a bit more meat than leggings can to balance your shape out.
Try new look or what about your supermarket do they sell clothes, you could get a staff discount?

HalfSpamHalfBrisket Wed 19-Feb-14 15:58:19

Yup - avoid the skinnies if you think you are an apple - the tapering to the ankle make the torso look much bigger.
I described my figure type as 'shetland pony' - barrel middle and tiny wrists and ankles (was an 18/20 but now a 12) and anything that emphasised the narrowest point (feet/ankles) was a no-no - this included skinnies and thin tights/court shoes.
I still wouldn't wear skinnies - and find that either dresses & boots or straight leg jeans balance my figure type well.

30SecondsToVenus Wed 19-Feb-14 17:06:04

Thanks everyone I'm going to go in to town tomorrow and look for dresses and nice tights to go with them

Accessories seem to make a big difference so I'll give some of those a go too.

I work for asda so yes I'll get a discount and hopefully they have some nice stuff in again smile

I thought about the high waisted skinny jeans because they will hold me in but I'll wait until I'm down a few sizes before I try those out smile

BorisJohnsonsHair Wed 19-Feb-14 19:31:42

I think if you have skinny legs and a bigger top, then you need to wear black top and lighter coloured jeans/skirt to help balance you out a bit. Chunkier boots/shoes will also help to balance your look; dainty heels can look a bit "miss piggy" if you're not careful smile. I know from experience...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now