Talk

Advanced search

14 year old boy with spots

(14 Posts)
fayebebaby Wed 19-Feb-14 11:32:14

DS 14 has hit the spotty stage, and needs some sort of facial cleanser to help with them, he has quite sensitive skin, and they are just`normal` teenage spots with some blackheads - can anyone recommend anything? Have heard clearsil isn't that great on sensitive skin, thanks

Skivvywoman Wed 19-Feb-14 11:34:47

My DS is the same he washes his face with simple cleanser and then takes witch hazel over his face on cotton wool but at night he will put sudo cream on

HelloBoys Wed 19-Feb-14 11:39:08

Tea tree oil is great. Body Shop do a wash and used to do a blemish stick (not with concealer) with tea tree oil.

someone here recommended Sam Farmer and their range looks great, see link.

www.samfarmer.co/

drawohamme Wed 19-Feb-14 11:44:59

If he's really struggling take him to the doctor. I had a really miserable adolescence thanks to my skin. I tried loads of over the counter stuff but it was only the prescribed antibiotic creams that actually worked.

fayebebaby Wed 19-Feb-14 12:10:45

It`s not too bad at the moment, will try simple cleanser and see how that goes, have used tea tree oil on a particularly nasty one on his nose, will have a look at Body Shop and Sam Farmer -( never heard of them before) as well, just need to get him to use them - I wonder at times how much water actually touches his face!! thanks

anniroc Fri 21-Feb-14 13:05:18

Freederm all the way - various products available. So much more effective than the crap that was on sale when I was 14!

WhoNickedMyName Fri 21-Feb-14 14:22:54

Avoid any kind of facial scrub, basically anything with gritty particles in it. The're really harsh on the skin and tend to spread the infection.

squoosh Fri 21-Feb-14 14:27:16

Neutrogena's Visibly Clear Pink Grapefruit range is meant to be great for spotty teenage skin.

Eliza22 Fri 21-Feb-14 14:43:02

At around 4am this morning, I had this "thread" running through my brain. My ds is 13 and has suddenly broken out, a real fiery looking crop of spots, just around the hairline and forehead. I got him some Simple Foaming Face Wash, just to be going on with. Will be checking out SamFarmer and Green People (it being a brand of sun lotion he can tolerate in summer.

Thanks for starting the thread!

Eliza22 Tue 25-Feb-14 08:49:20

Have started using Trilogy RoseHip Oil 100% Certified Organic. 3 days now and spots aren't as fiery looking. Fingers crossed.

wordfactory Tue 25-Feb-14 08:58:40

DS 14 keeps his skin pretty clear with a face wash (Quinoderm, nutrogena etc) used on a face scrubber from Body Shop once a day.

Plus a slick of Quinoderm cream when there's a break out.

This really does keep him looking fresh and mostly clear.

His twin sister is blessed with Good Skin!

frogslegs35 Wed 26-Feb-14 12:33:37

My son started using Avons clearskin, the 3 step (wash, toning pads, cream) and it's made a huge difference. You can visibly see how clean the skin looks.
It does contain salicylic acid so everyday use may be a bit too much, as it is for my son, or it makes him dry.
He uses the 3 step every other day on a morning, on nights and other days he uses a baby soap and just applies the avon cream.

IDugUpADiamond Wed 26-Feb-14 12:49:41

I thought that boys were meant to stay clear from products containing tea tree oil (and lavender for that matter).
I was going to try the Dead Sea Spa Magik range on my 10 YO DS who's starting to have some blackheads on his nose and hairline. Watching with interest for other suggestions.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 26-Feb-14 12:55:51

How to make my pesky 14 yo actually USE the pharmacy of spot products I've bought him is my question de jour hmm

Those Nose strips are very hit and miss IME. I get him to use a face wash then the strip. Sometime nothing happens. I don't want him to use them too often though (I'm a bit dubious as they take the tiny hairs from skin too)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now