Talk

Advanced search

Very short notice trip to Dubai tomorrow!

(11 Posts)
starrystarrynights Tue 18-Feb-14 13:23:00

DH is travelling to Dubai tomorrow at very short notice (confirmed last night) and I'm now travelling with him!

I've never been with him before but it's half term and my parents have kindly offered to babysit.

We will travel late tomorrow night (arriving in Dubai Thursday am) and leave on Saturday morning.

What should I pack? What should I buy?

DH will be working on Thursday so I'll post in Chat to ask about what I can do whilst there smile

youarewinning Tue 18-Feb-14 13:30:30

I have no advice what so ever! But couldn't read it and not reply to say have an absolutely wonderful time.

starrystarrynights Tue 18-Feb-14 13:32:02

Thank you, I'm so excited smile

ItIsAnIdeasGame Tue 18-Feb-14 13:37:39

It's lovely weather at the moment. I'm wearing skinny jeans, cap sleeved top and pretty sandals. Had a light boyfriend card in the car for pickup as it felt a little chilly in the shade. Make sure you have a jacket or cardigan for the evening as you will definitely need one. The good news is that it is lovely on the beach.

Personally, I would only shop for custom made jewellery here as clothes are much cheaper in the uk.

cloudskitchen Tue 18-Feb-14 14:14:09

Can I please ask a question of my own (sorry op) would you go to Dubai in August. I'm sure it must be much cheaper then for a reason grin

50degreesintheshade Tue 18-Feb-14 14:21:03

Dubai in August.......no way! I always head back to the UK for July and August to escape the heat. It never drops to less than the mid 40s in August and the hottest I have seen is 53!
However the weather at the moment is lovely and cool :-)

starrystarrynights Tue 18-Feb-14 15:07:36

Thanks everyone - keep them coming smile

cloudskitchen Tue 18-Feb-14 16:13:58

hmm thanks for that. I shall just have to be jealous of op's trip instead. Enjoy smile

slimsoon Tue 18-Feb-14 17:43:36

For dining/bars the code tends to city dressy rather than resort . So if you are planning to see some of the nightlife ( I would recommend you do) take some heels .
Go to a salon and get a blowout and a nice mani/pedi ( -nSPA in the Dubai Mall is easy to find ) whilst your DH works.
I don't shop much in Dubai aside in the sales but my friends who visit always want to get fake bags . Not worth the effort iMO.

TheJumped Tue 18-Feb-14 18:15:08

I'm here right now on a jolly smile

It's lovely and warm, 22-25 in the daytime. If you're in a hotel resort you can wear bikini etc but do take a long sleeved coverup for heading down to beach etc. In the malls anything seems to go really, but everyone is flipping loaded so wear your best and most expensive looking things so you aren't scared to look in all the designer boutiques! Best to avoid sleeveless and def not strappy top or anything low cut. But short skirts are very common, weirdly. It's not demure really, just don't show arms and cleavage.

Evenings a little cooler - windy anywhere near the coast - so take a light cardi. I have some wrap type things but I feel a bit touristy in them.

Clothing is same or more expensive, but the malls are a lovely place to shop so do allow a budget to shop if you can, although you won't save anything. It's bloody expensive here.

And lucky you being child free to go - I'm currently MNing in bed with snoring DC while DH is in hotel gym.

starrystarrynights Tue 18-Feb-14 20:21:09

Thanks everyone, I love Mumsnet you've given me some brilliant tips grin.

Off to pack now smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now