Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

If you know about jewellery could you tell me if this is an ok price for this ring?

(7 Posts)
RedPencilPot Tue 18-Feb-14 08:56:26

I love this style of eternity ring. I have no idea if it's a good price though- definitely at the very top of my budget. I didn't get an engagement ring and now 15 years later I getting a nice piece of jewellery!

Any thoughts?

Stepawayfromthezebras Tue 18-Feb-14 10:18:49

You possibly won't get the best price or quality for diamonds from Beaverbrooks but that style of ring may be hard to find in other places. The jewellery quarter in Birmingham is good for getting good quality and good value

www.aspirediamonds.com/

Is based there and meant to be quite good.

The ladies of Pricescope (http://www.pricescope.com/) know their diamonds and they rate Blue Nile very well - www.bluenile.com/uk

Hope you find something you love smile

enriquetheringbearinglizard Tue 18-Feb-14 10:24:14

I think that's very expensive and you could do better. It's an awful lot of teeny diamonds of G colour aka less white.

mycatlikestwiglets Tue 18-Feb-14 10:33:30

I think you'll find you could have a similar ring made with better diamonds for less money if you enquire at some independent jewellers (somewhere like Hatton Garden or the Birmingham jewellery quarter). Many are able to make rings to your own design or copy one you've seen elsewhere.
Enjoy your lovely eternity ring when you do get it!

enriquetheringbearinglizard Tue 18-Feb-14 12:40:24

I was brief before sorry RedPencilPot.

For example the similar ring here is the same gold, same colour diamonds, but a slightly better quality (SI is slight inclusions. VS2 is veryslight inclusions)
www.justeternityrings.co.uk/eternity-rings-half/18ct-yellow-gold-half-eternity-rings/jew085y-18ct-yellow-gold-ring-with-15-channel-set-princess-cut-diamonds-and-36-round-diamonds.html
and it's £1,300 less.

If you order online you have a 30 day money back guarantee from these kind of suppliers, I think that's because of distance selling regulations? All you lose is the cost of safe postage for a return.

If you go to the high street and try on some styles then shop around online you should get a feel for the kind of price the ring you want will cost, or alternatively see what you can get for your budget.

In the past I've had one off jewellery designed and made for me (two rings) and also been to the jewellery quarter for an appointment and chosen stones which I had set into a standard setting. The stones came with certificates of authenticity saying exactly what they are.
It was a nice experience, chatting first with someone, explaining what I wanted and then going in by appointment. Not everywhere has a store front, my appointment was in an office suite where they'd got the stones in for me to see and where we looked at sketches and designs and I tried a few things on before deciding.

Here's a link that explains how prices are affected by the size of the diamond(s) the cut, how the craftsman has made the best of the stone and the expertise in cutting it which affects the 'sparkle' the colour, which is the natural 'brightness' for white diamonds and also the clarity, which is the natural specs or errors in the stone. Lots of stones that add up to say a carat or more, cost less than larger stones. Benchmarks are the full and half carat sizes where cost goes up significantly more than say 0.48 or 1.03.

www.adiamondbuyingguide.com/diamondprices.html

Hope all that helps, the links are selected at random, you can find absolutely loads of sites on line and whatever they call themselves for trading purposes, they do tell you who the business is owned by. Have fun looking.

RedPencilPot Tue 18-Feb-14 20:03:23

Thank you for the very informative posts!

I have seen lots of rings I like on the websites posted and at a huge saving!

mrscumberbatch Tue 18-Feb-14 22:47:27

Hello, nothing much to add but completely agree with previous posters.

That particular ring is probably exclusive to beaverbrooks so you won't find it anywhere else but I'd bank on finding something very similar for a better price.

Happy shopping!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now