Talk

Advanced search

Are they watching me?

(8 Posts)
aliasjoey Sun 16-Feb-14 22:33:45

Last week I bought a top from M and S. (In-store, not online)

Tonight I was surfing a favourite website (TV Tropes) and there was an advert for the EXACT same top.

DH pointed out that I had looked on the M and S website - probably looked at about 40-50 tops on there - and the search engines know what you click on. He said "coincidence".

Then I came on Mumsnet and there was an advert for M and S - with the same top. I know the Google sees what you surf, but I didn't buy the top online - I bought it at the shop!

So - why - how do they know? Has Marks and Spencer sold my info? But no, my debit card isn't linked to my online activity.... ??

<confused and a bit drunk>

travailtotravel Sun 16-Feb-14 22:41:15

yes, they are watching you. digital remarkrting ...

travailtotravel Sun 16-Feb-14 22:42:43

its about the cookie settings a site uses to track your online activity. it is not linked to your purchase or cc.

you can turn these settings off in your browser if it freaks you out!

Pollyputthekettle Sun 16-Feb-14 22:42:50

Cookies.

TreTops Sun 16-Feb-14 22:43:19

this happens to me as well not just with m&s lota of things. half the time it some awful link I've clicked on from here and keeps popping up grin its not very clever though as it brings up stuff as I have bought as well as stuff I have just looked at.
I think it to do with cookies

MorrisZapp Sun 16-Feb-14 22:45:52

Happens to me all the time.

SavoyCabbage Mon 17-Feb-14 01:22:04

The worst thing is if somebody on MN links to something hideous for a laugh and then that stalks you.

burnishedsilver Mon 17-Feb-14 10:52:44

Wearing a hat made from tin foil should solve the problem hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now