Talk

Advanced search

Weird Query: what to wear to solicitor meeting

(14 Posts)
jadeddazedandconfused Sun 16-Feb-14 22:14:28

Hi
I am meeting a solicitor tomorrow to discuss divorce /separation.
I will be going during my lunch break from work.
I seem to have hit a blank re clothes. I walk to and fro work and most recently I have been wearing boots and trousers.
I was thinking of a black dress, brown cardie and brown knee high flat boots or I could ditch the cardie altogether, it's 3/4 length sleeves.
I don't want to look too smart and feel uncomfortable but at the same time I want to look like I care. Is that too casual? It's a jersey skater style dress. Otherwise I have two others, a blue zara one which is v neck shift the only trouble being I that it's sleeveless so I'd have to work out what to wear underneath and on my feet. It doesn't lend itself well to boots and I only have pump type flats which look a bit weird with tights to.
I also have a floral warehouse dress which is quite bright, blues and pinks, it's long sleeved and above the knee, it would look better with flats.
I have a navy blazer which could go with both dresses but makes a coat awkward for the journey.
I could wear smart top and skirt/trousers but I have scoliosis and separates don't sit very well on me, I always end up a rumpled, untucked mess.

Thanks

BuildersTea Sun 16-Feb-14 22:17:19

Hi,

I'm a solicitor -and I really don't even register what my clients are wearing!

HTH

jadeddazedandconfused Sun 16-Feb-14 22:30:00

I forgot that also have a classic black wrap style dress. Not particularly flattering possibly a bit frumpy. I don't want to look as though I'm wearing widow's weeds although it might be the most appropriate thing?

jadeddazedandconfused Sun 16-Feb-14 22:31:55

Ooh builderstea thanks for your quick reply, that makes things a lot easier, I will just be a smarter version of me then.

I am slightly ocd and always want to ensure re that all aspects of the situation are right including the 'outfit'.

Boltonlass1972 Sun 16-Feb-14 22:37:08

I think I wouldn't wear jeans, but what you have suggested all sounds fine. It's what you say, not what you look like. Hope it goes well x

fadingfast Sun 16-Feb-14 22:37:54

You are paying, you are the customer. Wear whatever you like, honestly (I am a solicitor too).

Colleague of mine had to sit through a meeting with a client who had pooed himself once...

mumblechum1 Sun 16-Feb-14 22:42:30

I was a divorce lawyer for25 years and rarely noticed what clients were wearing. Just dont go in ponging of perfume and you'll be fine!

jadeddazedandconfused Sun 16-Feb-14 23:02:47

Thank you all for the reassurance.
I will definitely not soil myself...

KissesBreakingWave Sun 16-Feb-14 23:36:46

Had a client turn up in what I thought was a wedding dress once. Turns out it was a 'first communion' dress such as one normally sees on little girls. She was in to discuss suing a whole long list of parties, starting with the Pope, on behalf of the Virgin Mary. Absolutely fascinating woman, a genuine pleasure to chat to, but so detached from reality she couldn't prod it with a long stick.

Sonotkylie Mon 17-Feb-14 07:15:25

I agree. Cothes not so important but smell is key. I used to do some work for a pig farmer ...

bettykt Mon 17-Feb-14 08:05:21

I see my solicitor a lot and put a lot of business his way so I just turn up in whatever I happen to be wearing. 99% of the time it's jeans.

jadeddazedandconfused Mon 17-Feb-14 08:09:40

Brilliant about the confirmation dress, I may use that technique later when the whole situation has driven me batty.

I went with the black wrap style dress with a vintage brooch protecting my modesty and knee high flat boots, smart enough to feel like I've made an effort and not as frumpy as I'd feared.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 17-Feb-14 08:24:36

You are the customer, you are employing them, wear what you like!

jadeddazedandconfused Mon 17-Feb-14 15:26:48

All done! Sure she didn't notice and it was the last thing on my mind once there but at least that aspect was ticked off the worry list!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now