Talk

Advanced search

Best home hair dye for damaged hair

(13 Posts)
MrsNoodleHead Sun 16-Feb-14 18:05:58

Over the last few years, my hair has run the gauntlet with two pregnancies, repeated home hair dye kits and regular swimming in chemically treated pools.

It's in a pretty sorry state. It was never anything to write home about, as it was very fine and flat – but it was always soft and silky. Now it is fine and flat with the hair equivalent of Brillo pads at the end!

I would like to try a different home hair dye, in the hope that it is more gentle. Over the last year or so I have been using the John Frieda mousse dye, and judging by the state of my birds' nest hair it is rather harsh.

Any other recommendations?

cloudskitchen Sun 16-Feb-14 18:43:48

I use nice n easy on my hair. I rarely have it cut and although not in as good condition as it was when it was undyed it has no split ends. I have to dye it because I'm too vain to go grey. it comes with a lovely conditioner that makes my hair really soft.

NotJustACigar Sun 16-Feb-14 19:03:58

Yes that John Frieda Precision Foam, which I think is the one you're referring to that damaged you hair, is extremely harsh in my opinion, too. It seems like it changes the structure of your hair somehow and turns it kinda straw like. It does give excellent, even coverage, though.

Sorry no advice on home colouring but if I were you I would treat myself to a colour and deep conditioning treatment at a hair salon just this once to get your hair back in decent shape.

ushiemama Sun 16-Feb-14 23:52:26

I've been using L'Oreal Excellence for years. My hair is in good condition, I have a cut every 6 weeks, there's a tube of pre conditioner in the pack, I'm sure this makes a difference. The after colouring conditioner is good too (enough for two treatments) Inbetween colourngs I use Elvive shampoo & conditioner for coloured hair. Hope this info is helpful.

MrsNoodleHead Mon 17-Feb-14 09:13:02

Thanks for the replies. It's interesting that you think the John Frieda stuff is harsh, Notjustacigar, I've had my suspicions for a while but then blamed swimming.

I used to use Excellence a while back - think I'll try again.

dingdong3 Mon 17-Feb-14 13:32:00

I was talking to my hairdresser about this the other week and he was telling me how he's constantly fixing home coloured hair. He said the stuff they use in home colours is what was used in salon colours 5-10 years ago so they are harsher than anything you'll have in a salon. And I know - of course he's going to say that as it's business for him but I don't get my colour done with him..we were just chatting about home colours. I get mine done in the academy of a really good hairdressers in town...so I don't pay but I still get good quality hair colour put on, in a controlled environment...could this this an option for you? If not, then spend as much as you can on a really good coloured hair shampoo and conditioner to help protect the hair. I find Salon Professionals great and their Luxe oil is the best oil I've ever used on my hair - has really helped the condition of mine. Oh and ditch the straighteners or curlers for a while if you can.

WildThong Mon 17-Feb-14 13:50:54

I used the new Nice&Easy age defy [http://www.boots.com/en/Nice-n-Easy/Nice-n-Easy-Age-Defy/ here] last week and I think it wasn't as harsh as my usual Garnier one.

sandyballs Mon 17-Feb-14 13:52:09

Holland and Barrett do hair colour without the chemicals and parabens etc. I've been using it for a couple of years as I have very sensitive skin that reacts to stuff, and had great results.

CrumblyMumbly Mon 17-Feb-14 13:58:48

I like the Holland and Barrett Naturtint range and currently buy one get one half price. Has no ammonia/ resorcinol or parabens and covers my grey. So natural looking, everyone says you can tell you're dd's mum you have the same hair colour....( I think yes, but mine comes out of a bottle..he he)

WildThong Mon 17-Feb-14 14:04:25

link

CrumblyMumbly Mon 17-Feb-14 15:17:11

Cross post sandyballs

sandyballs Mon 17-Feb-14 15:19:27

Great stuff isn't it. Didn't know about the buy one, get one half price. Will stock up.

CrumblyMumbly Mon 17-Feb-14 15:23:41

It's fab I've just bought 4! Also if you go through Top Cashback you get more money off and use your loyalty card too - win win. Sorry to hijack post!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now