Talk

Advanced search

Sensitive ears / earrings

(12 Posts)
Lizhaworth Sun 16-Feb-14 08:59:27

Hi ladies,

Im hoping you can help me, I have really sensitive ears so can't wear high-street /even high street jewellers earrings, do you know where I can get earrings that won't make my ears all red and itchy?

Someone told me I need nickel-free, but I wouldn't know how to tell if it's nickel-free?

I've seen some 'hypoallergenic' stud earrings but they are pretty basic studs you would get pierced with, and I want some pretty ones like my friends can buy from the high-street.

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks a million

Liz

Rosebag Sun 16-Feb-14 10:17:08

I generally have to use silver or gold hooks/posts or my ears go itchy, red and hot. But I find that sainsbury's earrings are really low nickel and I can wear them with no problems. Really nice ones too. Sometimes I find earrings I like which irritate so if they're hooks rather than posts, my jeweller can replace the hooks for silver. Problem solved. Hope this helps.

Redrosesarethebest Sun 16-Feb-14 14:42:20

I'm allergic to nickel, the only earrings that I am able to wear or in fact any jewellery has to be white gold

BirdintheWings Sun 16-Feb-14 14:45:23

Titanium posts or medical plastic -- seriously!-- at Serenity (bit pricey though).

Beccawoo Sun 16-Feb-14 17:31:06

I get this too, I find dipping the posts in Vaseline really helps! Might be worth a try! X

Hugecupcake Sun 16-Feb-14 20:26:22

I second medical plastic from Serenity! These are the only earrings my daughter can wear, a bit expensive but really pretty, hard to tell they are plastic once they are in the ear.

thenightsky Sun 16-Feb-14 20:35:57

I'm awful allergic too. I can wear gold only, silver for a few hours. I've been told to try titanium or surgical steel but both had me in pain within half an hour.

Does anyone have a link to surgical plastic? I'd love to have my hurty ones altered so the posts are wearable.

whitecat Sun 16-Feb-14 22:27:31

I have 3 suggestions.
1. Paint the posts with clear nail varnish.
2. Replace the hooks with non nickel ones.
3. In the past I have used a plastic/silicone sheath that slips over the earring post. This works really well but I haven't seen them for ages which is why I do the number 1 method.

thenightsky Sun 16-Feb-14 22:29:01

ive tried the nail varnish thing... doesnt work for me sadly.

BirdintheWings Mon 17-Feb-14 11:30:33

Serenity earrings for you. Some of them are quite small as i think they're aimed at young children, but others are rather stylish.

CointreauVersial Mon 17-Feb-14 11:36:02

Silver or gold.

Lizhaworth Thu 20-Feb-14 08:12:40

Thanks so much for your replies, I tried silver and still itchy (and not a cheap experiment!) will look at serenity and try Vaseline - will try anything! Thanks again, smile Liz x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now