Talk

Advanced search

I've been given an amazing fake Mulberry bag, what would you do, keep or return?

(108 Posts)
vix1980 Sat 15-Feb-14 16:16:05

Ive been after a mulberry bag for ages, Im in the process of saving up for one but my poor mum went on ebay and bought one for me not knowing anything about them, bless her,

Anyway its real leather, all the hardware is stamped, Ive even checked it out down to the size of the trees /trunk on the metal hardware and its all an exact copy, the fact its Leather makes me debate whether to return it.

I feel horrible having to tell my mum its a fake but the serial number is a dead giveaway, I just typed it into google and it came up on a list of most faked numbers, apart from that I wouldnt have a clue to be honest (although I know die hard fans probably would, but i dont mix in that type of circle! wink)

So what do I do, she paid £75 for it and thought she had got a real bargain, shes been telling all the neighbours how much she paid and think she's done me a massive favour. Im always a bit hmm at fakes, never buy them but this 1 is an amazing copy of something it would take ma at least another 6 months to save up for! The seller had listed it as just a Tan leather bag, it was only when she saw the mulberry print she realised what it was and thought the seller had made a mistake, so on her part the seller has done no wrong really, its just the zip is a bit stiff (also a giveaway for me) and I know easily replaced but theres no way on eart Id have spent £75 for a fake bag with a dodgy zip, what would you do?

mrssmith79 Sat 15-Feb-14 16:20:39

Keep it and spare mum's feelings I say. Like you said, seller didn't misrepresent so she doesn't have to accept a return on those grounds. I'd be quite happy to pay £75 for a good quality, real leather bag if I liked it, regardless of brand.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 15-Feb-14 16:22:53

£75 is good for a leather bag keep it and spare your mum's feelings. How lovely of hersmile

Magix Sat 15-Feb-14 16:25:41

Id keep it too smile

NaffOrf Sat 15-Feb-14 16:27:09

Keep it. And post a link so I can get one

JumpingJackSprat Sat 15-Feb-14 16:27:10

Keep it. Otherwise you'd be paying a ton more just for the name.

Petitgrain Sat 15-Feb-14 16:30:18

Why on earth would you burst your mum's bubble by telling her it was fake? She bought it in good faith, accept it with good grace and stop flapping about nothing!

vix1980 Sat 15-Feb-14 16:39:51

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

mrssmith79 Sat 15-Feb-14 17:57:09

Bless, she sounds just like my mil - full of good (if frugal) intentions.
I once mentioned that I quite fancied a plate thingy for the draining board - had seen a nice chrome one in Lakeland. Cue the next week she produced a hideous orange plastic monstrosity that had been sitting in her shed since 1976! I accepted it gracefully but its now in our shed!

burnishedsilver Sat 15-Feb-14 18:08:52

As a wiman who recently lost her mum my advice is to keep it and cherish it. You'll smile when you think of her 'bargain' mulbery.

peasandlove Sat 15-Feb-14 20:04:42

aw I wanted the link too! I'm assuming that's what's been removed.. sellers name?

chipsandpeas Sat 15-Feb-14 20:21:50

id keep it but save up for a real one in a differrent style

my mum would be like this and its her being nice and i wouldnt say anything about it

Darkchocsprinkles Sat 15-Feb-14 20:36:19

What Burnished said.

One day, having a gift your mother lovingly chose for you will matter so much more than an incorrect serial number.

Lauratheexplora Sat 15-Feb-14 20:37:04

What a sweet mum you have! Keep the bag. In a way it is much more valuable than a genuine one because it was given to you as a lovely and loving gesture. If it is really good quality one all the better! Enjoy!

Lauratheexplora Sat 15-Feb-14 20:37:55

Oh and..... Can you pm me the link? thanks smile

supadupapupascupa Sat 15-Feb-14 20:39:43

i would keep it, but also tell your mum it was a fake. really, she should know what she bought!. but also tell her you are actually chuffed to bits with it and it's STILL a bargain. I'd just be worried about her buying more fake in the future because she's not properly informed.

Snowdown Sat 15-Feb-14 21:26:04

I'd keep it and I wouldn't tell my mum - she'll feel awful - a right fool and if she hasn't learnt to be street wise by now it's unlikely this experience will do it. Your mum sounds lovely and you are very lucky.

Lavenderhoney Sat 15-Feb-14 21:48:17

Just save for another - maybe look at their factory shop, or an outlet place. You can call the factory shop and ask what they have.

She sounds very nicesmile

justasecond Sat 15-Feb-14 22:34:30

What a lovely mum. I would keep the bag and not tell her it was fake.

peasandlove Sun 16-Feb-14 04:17:26

cough pm me the link too cough

ElBombero Sun 16-Feb-14 04:31:57

SIL bought me a handmade fake mulberry from turkey. £150. It's perfect in every way bar the serial number. Very high quality bag but I'm nervous of wearing it, no matter how good I do feel like abit of a tit with a fake bag.

If my mum had bought it I'd cherish is and definitely not tell her!!

FatNotFit Sun 16-Feb-14 04:41:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

oin Sun 16-Feb-14 06:41:36

Keep it , your Mum sounds really thoughtful and it is a lovely looking bag by the sound of it.
ps, could you PM me the link too

Crazy8 Sun 16-Feb-14 06:51:37

PM me the links please smile flowers

cloudskitchen Sun 16-Feb-14 07:40:21

I'd also say keep it and spare your mum feelings. If you think its a good fake and couldn't tell then chances are no one else will be able to either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now