Talk

Advanced search

Help me find a dress for a wedding please -as a guest.

(17 Posts)
HurryUpSprSum Sat 15-Feb-14 14:07:06

Have been looking now the Spr/Sum clothes are out but can't find anything that's 'right'. The wedding isn't until the end of spring but looking forward to it -lovely childhood friends' wedding and want to look nice and plan an outfit instead of the usual wearing whatever is in my wardrobe!

Only dress I've seen that I liked is the 'Selina' Boden dress (approaching 40 and wanted to dress more conservatively -being more covered-up) but on it looks a bit frumpy, maybe the neckline is too high.

Size 8-10 and 5' 8 which sounds easy to dress but do not want anything tight! with my mummy tummy and now older wanting to steer away from too short or too low, although legs are one part I do like! Pale and blonde coloring. Have been looking at light blues, pink and camel colors?

Robfordscrack Sat 15-Feb-14 14:41:42

uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_1,mon_1.2/5530710810?

HurryUpSprSum Sat 15-Feb-14 15:04:03

Thanks for the link, I forgot to mention I'm not so keen on florals/patterns.

frenchfancy Sat 15-Feb-14 15:47:23

How about pleat dress pleat dress

or polka dot

or cobalt blue

or stripes

HurryUpSprSum Sat 15-Feb-14 16:37:43

Thanks, I like the cobalt blue one - not sure if it's a bit too bright though. The pleat one is nice but just feels a bit too old although I must remember I'm not a young trendy thing! Not so keen on the stripe one (although like wearing stripes - breton), quite like the polka dot one too.
It's so difficult to find a dress, I'm glad I've started looking early!

MrsLettuce Sat 15-Feb-14 17:44:06

Was there a typo in the OP or are you, in fact, only in your 30's?

You should, of course, wear the clothing styles and colours you like - if that's very conservative things in pastel shades then, well, more power to you! But, TBH I get the feeling that you feel you have to move towards that style because of your age which is, IMHO, utterly unnecessary. The not wanting to wear tight or overly flesh exposing bit it do get but one must take care to avoid frumpage!

How about this? Wrong colour for your skin tone?
blue?
this print is very pretty
grey?
beige

HurryUpSprSum Sat 15-Feb-14 18:13:54

I like those ones thank you, (the print link didn't work though).

The 1st one I'd wear but always feel dark colors aren't right for a wedding? (I usually live in black clothes!). I'm only going for pastels as they're the colors I can think of that I think best suit my coloring that aren't the usual black/navy/grey etc. colors I prefer to wear.

I am just still in my 30s smile the last time I actually bought a dress for a wedding I was in my early 30s, it was shorter and with a low neckline and just thought now I need to rethink when buying a dress -I like how Kate Middleton dresses (-mostly!) you can see she has a nice figure but not on show IYSWIM. Although fine with sleeveless.

You are right I don't have to start dressing like an old lady now grin just need to find the right balance and it's so long since I bought a dress for a wedding!

MrsLettuce Sat 15-Feb-14 18:36:07

Ah, sorry! missing link here

Poor dear KM dresses about 10 or 15 years older than she is (in public at least), as per the conservative nature of her role...

But, yeah, that black Zara floral dress wouldn't be in any way too somber with, say, teal shoes (or one of the darker colours from the print) and a pale grey bag (or one of the lighter colours from the print).

Dark colours / grey really are fine for a wedding as long as you make sure you don't look funereal or sober. Honestly, even a plain black or navy dress can be made to work - is all in the accessories.

When all is said and done, it's always nice to have something one feels ones self in and will actively want to wear again.

what's your budget?

tethersend Sat 15-Feb-14 18:50:28

too short?

tethersend Sat 15-Feb-14 18:54:25

blue

tethersend Sat 15-Feb-14 18:55:47

blue again

tethersend Sat 15-Feb-14 18:57:25

floaty

tethersend Sat 15-Feb-14 18:59:47

blue again

tethersend Sat 15-Feb-14 19:02:31

structured

MrsLettuce Sat 15-Feb-14 19:14:54

Ooh that VW blue one is a good find

HurryUpSprSum Sat 15-Feb-14 22:44:58

Thank you, love the VW one also love that you can buy Helmut Lang for 100quid even though that dress wouldn't suit me Plus still love the style of the Grazia print dress.

Now just have the dilemma of how many I can afford to order to try on and in different sizes and then choose one grin

I'm not going to worry about a bag as I'll have to take a change bag with me and will just put my stuff in there but shoes...

Thought nude or tan heels? (I can then also wear them for work in the summer) but I've seen on here nude shoes are mostly disliked, not sure why though?

PearlyGrey Mon 17-Feb-14 07:34:19

If you like the Kate Middleton look you could have a look at Reiss too? www.reiss.com/womens/dresses/?view_type=1&sort_by=4&user_min_price=0&user_max_price=0

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now