Talk

Advanced search

You shall go to the ball...but what to wear?

(21 Posts)
lemontwist Sat 15-Feb-14 09:59:03

DH's boss has been splashing the cash and bought a table (or two) for a charity masquerade ball. I'm quite excited but its far from anything I'm really used to and I have no idea what to wear. I'm on an extreme budget (bearing in mind we're not flush at the best of times, I desperately need a haircut and DH will have to hire a suit) so please help. There is absolutely nothing in my wardrobe that would be even vaguely suitable. Oh, and its in two weeks time!

If it helps I'm size 10, 5' 7" with dark brown shoulder length hair. Quite pale complexion so often need fairly bright colours. Anything pale and pastelly often makes me look like death!

MrsLettuce Sat 15-Feb-14 11:15:53

Do have any shoes, a bag or cover up you'd like to use? What's you're max budget for all the bits you need combined? Shall have a rummage...

issimma Sat 15-Feb-14 11:16:43

Try ebay?

frenchfancy Sat 15-Feb-14 11:18:02

If you are on a budget then e-bay is your friend for special occasion dresses. Try searching on prom as well as ballgown. These are a few I like:

need to be quick

purple

brown sparkly

green

red

MrsLettuce Sat 15-Feb-14 11:28:23

masses of glitter, 30 quid, bright mask

lemontwist Sat 15-Feb-14 11:40:24

Some of those are lovely frenchfancy. I love the blue one at the top. Could cover that with paypal too. Brown monsoon one also nice.
MrsLettuce wow that is a lot of glitter! Quite like it though but probably a bit ott for me.

I have a couple of pairs of shoes I could wear. One are just plain black heels but a nice shape. The others are pale and silver beaded/sequined. No bags really but my mum & sister might have a few options. I also have a lovely delicate black lace shawl with a few sparkles on it.

Budget not set in stone, just as little as possible.

Thanks for looking!

PasswordProtected Sat 15-Feb-14 19:02:30

If it's a one-off can you hire something?

lemontwist Sat 15-Feb-14 21:52:33

I thought about hire -I'll have to look into cost but I would've thought I could get something second hand off ebay or somewhere for similar.
Might look into it though. At least if somewhere local does hire I can try things on.

Snowdown Sat 15-Feb-14 22:32:23

Can you borrow from a friend?

HorraceTheOtter Sat 15-Feb-14 22:55:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lemontwist Sat 15-Feb-14 23:23:57

Thanks for those Horace - those are pretty good prices. I'll have a closer look.

Snowdown, I've asked a couple of people and might have to have a ring round a few more. My SIL can be quite good for a fancy frock so will try her.

Solo Sat 15-Feb-14 23:34:07

Have a look in TKMaxx too. They often have really cheap/reduced gowns. I've had a Calvin Klein gown from there for £3 before now and have bought others for £7, £8, £20 and £40 maximum. Sometimes you might have to put a stitch in it or put a couple of beads on. My CK one is red velvet and it had a pressure mark at the bottom of it near the side seam ~ you'd never know it was there.

lemontwist Sat 15-Feb-14 23:48:49

Wow, bargains from TK Maxx. I'll have to have a look next time I'm in town. envy for a £3 CK gown! I obviously look in the wrong places!

MrsJoeHart Sun 16-Feb-14 00:00:42

I've been to loads of balls and the dresses tat have been linked are a bit ott for the ones I've been to. Where is it being held and what does the dress code say?

lemontwist Sun 16-Feb-14 00:31:03

Dress code is black tie as far as I know. I know very little about it other than that, I've only just heard that we've been invited and DH is not the best at conveying this kind of info!
I'll try to get him to find out more on Monday. What sort of thing would you suggest then MrsJoeHart based on your experience?

RonaldMcDonald Sun 16-Feb-14 00:46:51

Short black dress, you must have one or can borrow one
Killer heels
Stencil on lace mask

That will be standard attire

RonaldMcDonald Sun 16-Feb-14 00:50:39

Think this

Solo Sun 16-Feb-14 01:21:46

Check what length dress they might expect. Some say 'below the knee' others (in my experience) are no shorter than the ankle and not even slits in the skirt are allowed!!

Allthingsprettyreturns Sun 16-Feb-14 08:09:58

This. www.the-dressingroom.com/item/blank/gytha-dress-imperial/3H2C#.UwBxIcsgGSM

www.the-dressingroom.com/item/blank/edva-dress-imperial/3H1I#.UwBxaMsgGSM

www.the-dressingroom.com/item/blank/hilma-dress-grey/3H18#.UwBxlssgGSM

www.the-dressingroom.com/item/american-retro/lucretia-dress-black/2XQF#.UwBx1MsgGSM

Extra 20 percent off this weekend with code CLEARANCE 20

lemontwist Sun 16-Feb-14 08:38:59

Wow, very mixed opinions about dress length! I'll have to investigate further.

Thanks for all those suggestions allthings. Unfortunately don't really think I can spend that much sad

MrsJoeHart Sun 16-Feb-14 09:10:35

I agree with Ronald, think more cocktail dress rather than prom. You can go for any colour, but the majority will wear black.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now