Talk

Advanced search

Your favourite casual tops please!

(27 Posts)
Walnut8 Sat 15-Feb-14 06:02:17

I'm in need of inspiration - I desperately need some more as my favourite ones are getting very worn!!

Would prefer sleeves, but any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

DaftSkunk Sat 15-Feb-14 06:15:52

What styles do you like? Do you like plain/patterned?

Walnut8 Sat 15-Feb-14 06:28:49

Either plain or patterned, I don't mind really! I don't like anything too short or boxy... most of my tops are either the fitted jersey type with scoop or slash neck (usually striped), shirts (but only where the buttons start at boob level and go up - I have DD boobs, so buttons all the way down tend to gape), or blouses.... am a size 10, average height, if that helps!

whereisshe Sat 15-Feb-14 06:38:04

I've been doing a lot of layering lately - long vests (h&m are great), loose tops like this, grey skinny jeans, big scarf...

DaftSkunk Sat 15-Feb-14 06:43:05

If I'm looking for a new casual top, I tend to get one from Mantaray at Debenhams as I like their style and they usually have some sort of offer/voucher code on which makes it quite reasonably priced.

If you don't like patterned/print tops it probably isn't for you though!

I really like this and this at the moment.

Walnut8 Sat 15-Feb-14 08:01:35

whereis I like the idea of tops like that but the extra material doesn't often work for me. I can do not-too-loose blouses if that makes sense, but much bigger than that and I just look a bit frumpy. I think perhaps because my shoulders are on the broad side?

Walnut8 Sat 15-Feb-14 08:04:52

This is the style/shape that I have a lot of and seems to suit me, but a bit boring I know www.asos.com/au/French-Connection/French-Connection-Matelot-Stripe-Top/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2463946&xr=1&mk=VOID&r=3

BikeRunSki Sat 15-Feb-14 08:08:49

I wear a lot of Boden stripey jersey tops. Olive the Hampton long sleeved T - I have it on about 5 colour combos. The scoop beckons v flatter on despite the horizontal stripes and it is nice and long (I have a v long back). And they are great quality, they wash and wear well, I have some that are 5 years old.

Walnut8 Sat 15-Feb-14 08:50:14

thanks bikerunski - I've actually never bought anything from Boden. I'm tempted to try one (even though I am trying to look beyond stripes!!!!) ...what is the fit like?

Dilidali Sat 15-Feb-14 09:07:03

try these

DesperateHousewife21 Sat 15-Feb-14 09:37:35

Ive just bought this m.topshop.com/mt/www.topshop.com/en/tsuk/product/sale-offers-436/sale-799/tops-814/linen-viscose-oversize-top-2144122?refinements=category~%5b398593%7c398526%5d&bi=49&ps=24

Ive also got it in navy blue too, really comfy and great for lounging around or look good with skinny jeans and boots and are thin enough to layer.

LaTrucha Sat 15-Feb-14 09:41:43

Like lots of those massimo dutti ones.

Walnut8 Sat 15-Feb-14 11:19:01

I like that topshop one, Desperate, but it is a flattering drape? So many of those tops just look baggy on me.

I like the massimo dutti ones generally but none of them are really calling out to me ... any of them that you particularly like, LaTrucha?

issimma Sat 15-Feb-14 11:24:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LaTrucha Sat 15-Feb-14 11:48:09

I actually feel a bit the same way. Shapes I like are not in the colours I like. I would really like to t ry lots of them on and see, espcially the blue one with the gold neck, the oversized strip one and the white ne withthe striped hem.

I'm thinking of getting this but I do really like a white t'shirt. Might not be exciting eough for you.

lurkingaround Sat 15-Feb-14 12:30:04

Love those Massimo ones. Some gorgeous ones. Dagnammit. Why are you showing me lovely stuff. Really trying not to spend.

HelloBoys Sat 15-Feb-14 14:02:54

those Massimo ones are great.

ever since last year when bought a sparkly sweater from there and a padded lightweight jacket with hood I have preferred them more than Zara.

Which sucks as I have a gift card from Zara!

The Top Shop top looks great until I see how badly it washes! shock

lurkingaround Sat 15-Feb-14 14:38:55

I think Massimo is quite a bit better than Zara. Except for that bleddy perfume/air fragrance stuff they use. With a v heavy hand. Makes me heave.

TulipOHare Sat 15-Feb-14 15:41:15

I also love Boden Hamptons tees. And their "essential" tees are great too, long or short sleeve, maybe a bit dull though if you want something interesting / special.

BikeRunSki Sat 15-Feb-14 19:24:37

Walnut, the fit on the Hampton Tops is possibly marginally big, and possibly marginally small on the Boden essential Ts, but order your usual size and you shouldn't go wrong.

DesperateHousewife21 Sat 15-Feb-14 19:31:01

Walnut- I think its flattering but Im small of boob! Its great at hiding mum tum.

DesperateHousewife21 Sat 15-Feb-14 19:38:03

I love a lot of those massimo tops too! Damn I really shouldnt spend more money.

Topshop tops wash ok dont they? Anyway the ones I linked to are in the sale so I dont mind!

plasticbanana Sat 15-Feb-14 19:39:52

Rather expensive but UNBELIEVABLY flattering are James Perse jersey button up shirts from Selfridges. Sometimes they come up on ebay - there are a few at the moment. eg.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NWOT-Ex-James-Perse-Sheer-Slub-Side-Panel-Shirt-Size-1-Rrp-155-Galaxy-blue-/321323481612?pt=UK_Women_s_Tops_Shirts&hash=item4ad05f3a0c

smile

plasticbanana Sun 16-Feb-14 07:39:36

Sorry... proper link

James Perse jersey shirt

Walnut8 Sun 16-Feb-14 22:41:54

Love all the suggestions thank you!

Im fond of jersey shirts plasticbanana but that would definitely gape over my chest. I need more of a henley style or one where the buttons stop at nip level, unless it's quite loose.

I'm tempted to order the navy/ivory essential Boden top (as long as you promise it wont be frumpy) and maybe the modern stripey top in Cobalt .... bought a coral and white stripe one yesterday. There must be something stylish out there beyond stripes!

Also considering these few from warehouse:

too boxy?

floral

Anywhere else I should be looking??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now