Talk

Advanced search

Oh blimey, cold weather clothes emergency

(5 Posts)
bettybigballs Fri 14-Feb-14 16:01:25

The exciting news is that i'm off to New York with work the week after next. The bad news is i don't own any suitable clothes for cold weather. I'm not quite sure how it is but I manage UK weather in a light wool jacket like this with a big scarf and wooly gloves. That's not going to be enough for NY is it? do i need a new warmer coat? Are there really warm coats that won't make me look like the michelin man?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 14-Feb-14 16:34:35

Buy something when you are there, it'll be much cheaper! Next time I go to the states I will go with hand luggage and buy everything there.

TulipOHare Fri 14-Feb-14 16:37:08

Well, if it's anything like the winter I spent in Toronto, yes, you're going to need warmer clothes. I have never felt cold like it! I would be after some sort of good quality down coat, I think. There might be an element of Michelin Man, but personally I'd put comfort before style when it gets sub-zero.

You will also need some sheepskin gloves or mittens and some decent boots. Although you'd probably be best off buying these over there, they'll be cheaper and better than here IMO.

chanie44 Fri 14-Feb-14 16:41:08

Get some thermals to layer under your clothes.

Uniqlo heattech is really thin, so it won't bulk you out. I've also heard good things about sainsburys thermals.

bettybigballs Fri 14-Feb-14 17:05:25

Thermals! what a great idea. Also genius idea about buying stuff there. Thanks so much, really helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now