Talk

Advanced search

Please help my skin!

(20 Posts)
Cat98 Fri 14-Feb-14 09:55:46

I am new to creams and face make up really. I'm 33 and haven't needed stuff before.
I started with the aldi lacura cream that was good initially but seems to have stopped working! Or maybe it's the time of year!

Anyway my main problem is flaky skin on my face. Like dandruff! It's around my eyebrows mainly, nose and t-zone. Nothing seems to work. Has anyone got any recommendations for a good day or night cream that will get rid of the dry flakiness? I have tried the hot cloth superdrug cleanser too but it seems to irritate my skin. So any cleanser recs would be good too.
Thank you!
Budget low - medium sad

Mumelie Fri 14-Feb-14 10:23:57

I get this in cold weather and find a nice layer of vaseline overnight helps.

Cat98 Fri 14-Feb-14 13:00:18

Thanks. I have tried this and it helps for a bit but then it's back to flakiness.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 14-Feb-14 13:29:34

Which Aldi cream are you using, the restorative one is excellent. Are you hot cloth cleansing?

lilolilmanchester Fri 14-Feb-14 13:34:52

I'd try E45, boring and old fashioned but ace for flaky skin

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 14-Feb-14 13:35:44

Eucirin is very good too.

FoxyHarlow123 Fri 14-Feb-14 14:04:55

I've recently had a skin peel and my face was super dry and flakey. The only cream I had which helped (and didn't burn my poor skin) was Astral. Marvellous stuff. m.boots.com/mt/www.boots.com/en/Astral-Original-All-Over-Moisturiser-500ml_1747/#un_jtt_addtohome_hidden

FreeLikeABird Fri 14-Feb-14 14:06:23

Nivea but you must keep it up and put it in every night/morning.

ProphetOfDoom Fri 14-Feb-14 14:20:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

good old nivea in the blue tin or tube, thick layer at night less in morning. Or go expensive with avene or la roche posay.

lurkingaround Sat 15-Feb-14 12:43:50

If it's on a oily t-zone area, you may have a bit of seborrheic dermatitis. But you would need to see your GP before you could label it as such. A nuisance. Next time you're with your GP get him/her to have a look.

Cat98 Sun 16-Feb-14 09:44:11

Thank you all. The lacura cream I use is the blue one. I don't currently use a night cream as they all make my skin redden! (Have tried olay, soap and glory, and aldi serum).
Nivea might be a good call as I have used it in the past and didn't react.
I was hot cloth cleansing but stopped as I was sensitive and I recently read that heat on the face is drying. I think I need a gentle moisturising cream cleanser - can anyone reconmend one please? I don't think my tzone is oily.
Thanks all!

coffeeinbed Sun 16-Feb-14 10:30:07

Here you go.

http://www.boots.com/en/La-Roche-Posay-Cicaplast-Baume-B5-Soothing-Repairing-Balm-100ml_1287417/

ProphetOfDoom Sun 16-Feb-14 12:05:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PinkandTwinkly Sun 16-Feb-14 13:05:49

Do you exfoliate?

I find i need regular exfoliation to ensure my creams penetrate my dry dehydrated skin.
Using a muslin cloth for hot cloth cleansing would have exfoliated, so stopping that may have caused a build up of dry flaky skin and stopped your cream working.

Cat98 Mon 17-Feb-14 08:29:36

Thanks. What's the best way to exfoliate without hot cloth cleansing? Sorry to be so clueless!
I will look at these creams and cleansers.

Cat98 Mon 17-Feb-14 08:34:23

Also what are your thoughts on coconut oil for this problem? A family member gave me a small amount of hers and suggested I try it on my skin when I said it was dry. It's still in the fridge- I wasn't sure! Worth a go?

SauceForTheGander Mon 17-Feb-14 08:41:31

Cat98 in this weather with the central heating etc I've been using a very creamy cleanser followed by an oil. I got a vitamin e oil from Holland & Barret - it wasn't expensive but I can't remember how much. I've also used sweet almond oil.

I take out the droppers because I use lots and can't faff around getting one measly drop at the time. my skin soaks it up. Some MNetters recommend using oil / olive oil / almond oil as cleanser with a hot flannel. When my cleanser runs out I'm going to try!

I use as a night time moisturiser. Take a little time - 10 mins- to massage in.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 17-Feb-14 08:44:00

Coconut oil is amazing, good for cleansing and moisturising, give it a go.

PinkandTwinkly Mon 17-Feb-14 13:12:56

I like really scrubby exfoliators, - although atm I'm not used a specific exfoliator as I'm using GlamGlow mask twice a week and that's proper scrubby. Prior to that I used the philosophy microdelivery peel/scrub thing.

Face brushes (either manual or something like the clarisonic) are good too.

You can also get chemical exfoliators, but they don't really work on me so can't advise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now