Talk

Advanced search

I am frumpy

(21 Posts)
PollyPutTheKettle Fri 14-Feb-14 07:14:15

I caught sight of myself yesterday dressed in a blue frumpy Tesco jumper, equally frumpy pencil skirt, opaque tights and pointed but sensibly heeled shoes and thought WTF?
I look like my mother.

I am 41, 5 foot 4 and a size 14. I am working on losing weight. I have good legs but a huge waist.

I have always lacked confidence and don't know how to dress for my shape.

I want to be stylish but where do I start?

All tips welcome. I want to know how to put a wardrobe together , where I can find out my colours, good suggestions for dressing an Apple shape.

claudeekishi Fri 14-Feb-14 10:20:12

Well first of all give yourself a break! Your outfit sounds far from terrible. And catching sight of oneself in a mirror out and about can be so depressing. This morning I put on make-up, brushed my hair and dressed with care; even so, I still had that bleurgh moment in the supermarket when I saw myself in a mirror opposite the checkout.

I'm not apple shaped so not the best person to help with that. But I can highly, highly recommend being absolutely ruthless with your existing wardrobe. Bin all the shite. And I mean all of it. Everything that's shapeless. Try to get it right down until you have only about 3 or 4 of everything (tops, T-shirts, jeans, jumpers etc.). Then you can start working your way back up. I'd suggest starting with a pair of really good boots or shoes and a good quality coat to help arm yourself against those 'urgh, supermarket' moments. I spent 150 (I knowwww) on a pair of black leather ankle boots early last October, and have worn them almost every day. They are stylish and make me look better even if my face looks like shit

Whose style do you like, OP?

Blithereens Fri 14-Feb-14 10:23:03

There is a website called Putting Me Together where she does a great blog series on creating a wardrobe. I found it really helpful!

PollyPutTheKettle Fri 14-Feb-14 10:53:34

Thanks so much. The kids are on inset day but I will check that site out later over a glass of wine once they are in bed smile

What does anyone think of these www.phase-eight.co.uk/pws/ShippingOptions.ice?viewBasket=true

I work 3 days a week in an office and the rest of the time I am in jeans.

Has anyone got suggestions for lovely slim fitting jeans?

I definitely need a new coat. The one I have now is very 'mum' and makes my bust look matronly. hmm

RonaldMcDonald Fri 14-Feb-14 12:35:42

the link is empty

PoshPaula Fri 14-Feb-14 14:08:50

Agree with claudeekish even just wearing a decent pair of boots makes you feel more put together. Invest.

Then think about choosing yourself some really nice quite basic pieces, to start making outfits. Avoid too much detail and pattern, if you want to look chic with the proportions you describe.

Pollyputthekettle Fri 14-Feb-14 17:38:17

I have been fantasy shopping. Here are some links. Please impart your expert opinions smile :

This with slim leg smart trousers for work and straight leg jeans out of work

not sure I could carry this off

love this. I would love a camel v neck jumper to go with it

not sure about the lacey bits

I love this and think I could pull it off with a yellow cardi

love this but will I look too old?

not sure this would suit me but I love it

I think this may cover a multitude of sins

Suzietwo Fri 14-Feb-14 17:53:54

At 41 I'd stay well away from phase 8! It doesn't actually matter where your clothes come from, tesco /sainsburys are fine so long as they work on you.

I'm 35 and similar shape to you (well I am when not duffed). I am an absolute bloody mess a lot of the time and never wear make up or do my hair but once I do, my clothes are lifted and seem ok.

I swear by jeggings like this: http://www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-Rivington-High-Waist-Denim-Jeggings-in-Grey/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=3101471&SearchQuery=jeggings&sh=0&pge=1&pgesize=36&sort=-1&clr=Grey

Which I wear with longline open bottom tops like this: http://tablet.hm.com/gb/product/24417?article=24417-C

And a scarf

Boots like this http://www.hudsonshoes.com/horrigan-beige-suede.html (I actually covet those and wear much cheaper version)

All v easy, very comfortable and work in London or trudging around country (altho I replace boots with these http://www.merrell.com/UK/en-GB/Product.mvc.aspx/15692W/59536/Womens/Oslo-Waterproof) and covers the tum!

Suzietwo Fri 14-Feb-14 17:54:35

At 41 I'd stay well away from phase 8! It doesn't actually matter where your clothes come from, tesco /sainsburys are fine so long as they work on you.

I'm 35 and similar shape to you (well I am when not duffed). I am an absolute bloody mess a lot of the time and never wear make up or do my hair but once I do, my clothes are lifted and seem ok.

I swear by jeggings like this: www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-Rivington-High-Waist-Denim-Jeggings-in-Grey/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=3101471&SearchQuery=jeggings&sh=0&pge=1&pgesize=36&sort=-1&clr=Grey

Which I wear with longline open bottom tops like this: tablet.hm.com/gb/product/24417?article=24417-C

And a scarf

Boots like this www.hudsonshoes.com/horrigan-beige-suede.html (I actually covet those and wear much cheaper version)

All v easy, very comfortable and work in London or trudging around country (altho I replace boots with these www.merrell.com/UK/en-GB/Product.mvc.aspx/15692W/59536/Womens/Oslo-Waterproof) and covers the tum!

vaseoftulips Fri 14-Feb-14 18:01:25

What's wrong with Phase 8? I'm 42 and have bought some lovely things in there.

Suzietwo Fri 14-Feb-14 18:07:08

www.cosstores.com/gb/Shop/Women/Dresses/Gathered_neck_dress/46881-13116668.1#c-24480

www.gap.co.uk/browse/product.do?cid=89626&vid=1&pid=000918341001

www.topshop.com/en/tsuk/product/clothing-427/dresses-442/shift-dresses-559/moto-denim-jumper-dress-2592020?refinements=category~%5b209722%7c208523%5d&bi=1&ps=200

www.topshop.com/en/tsuk/product/clothing-427/dresses-442/shift-dresses-559/long-sleeve-shift-crepe-dress-2478069?refinements=category~%5b209722%7c208523%5d&bi=1&ps=200

This is fun. I can't shop for myself atm!

Pollyputthekettle Fri 14-Feb-14 18:19:10

I quite liked some of the Phase 8 stuff blush Perhaps that's where I go wrong.

I must admit I have never thought of going for the baggy look. Will it not make me look pregnant? I will have to order something and see. Thanks for the links.

Pollyputthekettle Fri 14-Feb-14 18:52:29

This will not help my style issue but I love this bag

lovely boots

love this top but think it won't suit my boobs

oh my lord!

I like this outfit

Pollyputthekettle Fri 14-Feb-14 19:07:19

nice colour

ProphetOfDoom Fri 14-Feb-14 19:40:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ProphetOfDoom Fri 14-Feb-14 19:41:12

ProphetOfDoom Fri 14-Feb-14 19:42:50

Pollyputthekettle Fri 14-Feb-14 19:47:13

Thanks SchmaltzingMatilda. grin You have no idea how happy I am that you like my links.

Thanks for the tips. I have been on the Biba page on HoF page. I like this but wonder if it will look frumpy in my size - possibly OK with straight leg trousers for work www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Biba+Patsy+drape+front+tuck+detail+blouse/188342796,default,pd.html

Pollyputthekettle Fri 14-Feb-14 19:52:31

This is one for when I have lost the elusive 2 stone grin

Pollyputthekettle Fri 14-Feb-14 20:01:30

lovely coat

ProphetOfDoom Fri 14-Feb-14 20:15:50

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now