Talk

Advanced search

Can I wear underwiring?

(10 Posts)
Justgotosleepnow Thu 13-Feb-14 21:46:27

Hi I'm still Breastfeeding (dd is 10m old) and I'm a bit tired of bf bras! They are all non underwired, and at 32g I need some support! (Measuring according to bra intervention ladies)

I've seen the hotmilk brand. Has anyone tried these bras? Are they any good?

In the early days of bf when I felt the letdown I could feel it quite far into my underarms, and I do always make sure underwiring is close to ribs not breast tissue (after having a lump as a teenager coz 28D didn't exist in NI then)

So is it ok to wear a wired bra while bf? I'm hoping to continue bf as long as DD needs it, and would like to wear decent bras again!

Many thanks

FumblesandFrolics Thu 13-Feb-14 21:59:27

Hi, I was a very similar size to you when fb, and did wear a couple of hotmilk bras, including one under wired.

It was my absolute favourite, and did wonders for my self esteem. I would say just go for it, as long as it fits properly.

Hebburnisaplaceonearth Thu 13-Feb-14 22:07:44

Yes you absolutely can as long as you are sure that they fit. I wear underwired bras (dd still feeding morning and night at 15 months) and have been regularly since she was 8/9 months (I was 30gg/h, bit smaller now). When I was still feeding in the day, I wore underwired ones I converted myself using clips from bras that didn't fit any more. Something like panache Andorra is good- soft lace and wide underwires. If you want more information about diy conversions just ask me.

Justgotosleepnow Thu 13-Feb-14 22:58:00

Thanks for your replies, that's all good to hear. I like the sound of converting an existing bra that fits well.

Justgotosleepnow Thu 13-Feb-14 22:58:38

Hebburn can you tell me more?
Thanks!

RonaldMcDonald Thu 13-Feb-14 23:58:01

I wore wires throughout
they are fine

CheesyBadger Fri 14-Feb-14 00:00:04

I couldn't find any non wired bras throughout pregnancy or breast feeding - 36L and nothing supported me. I wore wired, all was ok

Hebburnisaplaceonearth Fri 14-Feb-14 09:07:23

So here are my tips to converting a wired bra to nursing bra...

1. Choose the right bra- some stretch is a good idea to allow for size fluctuation, and the cup should pull down easily (the higher the centre the harder this is). You can check by slipping shoulder strap off then Pulling cup down. Colour is also a factor- clips and elastic tend to be black, white or sometimes nude so if you want your new bra to look neat best stick to these colours.
2. Follow a tutorial like this except I use elastic not ribbon.
3. Check size of nursing clasps is big enough to fit width of bra straps- this gets harder the larger the bra size because some of the shoulder straps are really wide. Nursing clasps can be from an old bra, or you can buy from ebay if you search for nursing bra conversion or something like that.
4.When converting keep looking at an existing bra to make sure clasps are right way round, elastic is not sewn twisted etc- so easy to get things muddled once you start cutting up things.

That's all I can think of just now smile

Justgotosleepnow Fri 14-Feb-14 16:51:34

Thanks for the explanation & link Hebburn. That's given me the confidence to get chopping & sewing!

Sqveeze Fri 14-Feb-14 16:58:30

I breastfed dd until she was two. I never wore a non-underwired bra, I hate them. As long as it's a good fit I think it's fine to wear wired.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now