Talk

Advanced search

Well cut suit - 5'3"/petite? Help please

(8 Posts)
triathlonmum Thu 13-Feb-14 18:28:27

Hi, need a new suit for work - smart office environment...but everything I try tends to swamp me a bit (eg Hobbs size 8). Would love a well cut black skirt or trouser suit, even if I have to have trousers altered it would be nice if they fit properly at the waist etc, and a jacket that is a little nipped in. Would really appreciate any suggestions of brands to look at or specific suits. Thanks v v much.

WhoNickedMyName Thu 13-Feb-14 18:33:35

Austin Reed do a petite range. Their suits are really excellent quality for the price.

Brillenbar Thu 13-Feb-14 19:53:47

Banana republic petite. They have black and navy in wool with trousers skirt jacket and sometimes a dress. I also find nw3 hobbs better than hobbs mainline. Personally although austin reed is good quality I think it is cut for someone a whole lot bustier than I am

BigPawsBrown Thu 13-Feb-14 19:58:08

I'm 5'4" but v slim and warehouse is the only place that doesn't swamp me

ImogenQuy Thu 13-Feb-14 20:42:38

What's your budget? I'm a bit shorter than you (and I suspect not as slim) but if you can stretch to it Armani is perfect: their trousers always fit me in the waist and the hips.

Next do a petite range: the fit isn't bad but the fabrics are awful.

triathlonmum Thu 13-Feb-14 20:58:56

Fabulous! Thanks all. Have been browsing Austin Reed and Banana Republic online and I'm going to try and get to their shops for a try on. I do also wear a lot of warehouse but wanting something really smart. Also like NW3 and not looked recently... Sadly suspect Armani out of my budget but nice to know it might fit me!!!!

Brillenbar Thu 13-Feb-14 21:03:37

Just so you know banana republic regularly do 20 to 30 PC off offers so if you want to watch the pennies it is worth waiting and stalking. Their trench coats are a good bet too.

J crew also does petite but is very spensive

BlameItOnTheBogey Fri 14-Feb-14 00:54:29

I'm 5'2 and Hobbs size 8 swamps me too. I find LK Bennett slightly better but the reality is that if you want to look well put together and shop in high street stores then the only way to do this is to accept that you need to get clothes tailored to your shape. So I buy e.g. from Hobbs, Jaegar and LK Bennett and choose things I like and that are close enough to my size and then I take them to the tailors and have them alter them to make them perfect. It's well worth doing and makes a real difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now