Talk

Advanced search

Help! Eye cream advice needed

(11 Posts)
SpringyReframed Thu 13-Feb-14 16:14:53

I have sallow, olive skin and I am very prone to dark circles under the eyes. As I have got older, I have also started to get puffy eyes.
Back in November I bought a pot of Origins GinZing cream. At first I thought it was the holy grail. Then the puffiness began to get worse and the dark circles became red circles, yuk! Like a total numpty I didnt make any connection between the redness and the cream until a couple of weeks ago. I stopped using it and lo and behold my eyes have drastically improved! blush
I want to use an eye cream but now I am a bit nervous about spending on one that ends up having the same effect. As it took so long to show up I dont think getting a tester would work. Has anyone got "sensitive" eyes like me and found a trusty eye cream?

SpringyReframed Fri 14-Feb-14 08:40:26

Bump.

charitygirl Fri 14-Feb-14 16:22:12

I can't find the ingredients on Origins' site (v bad!) but it may contain mineral oil or something else common but nasty, or you may be allergic to one of the essential oils.

Check out Caroline Hiron's advice on eye cream: I make no claims fr the advice, except I like it!
www.carolinehirons.com/2011/11/eye-cream-cheat-sheet.html

I'm currently using a brand called (I think!) Manin & Goetz which I was assured was extremely good for sensitive skins. Think Caroline has other recs on her blog.

sunshinemmum Fri 14-Feb-14 16:36:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

charitygirl Fri 14-Feb-14 16:46:04

This is the one

uk.spacenk.com/rice-bran-eye-moisturizer/MUK200006645.html

But, honestly, I'm a bit sceptical about the power of eye creams to remove dark circles etc. anything powerful enough to do that will probably irritate a sensitive eye. If it is possible, then I'd say you be looking for a very ££ product...

SpringyReframed Fri 14-Feb-14 18:54:52

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. It is interesting that the cream you link to, says even in the brief description, use a very tiny amount. I think, maybe, I use too much.

In the summer when I have hayfever I use the Simple eye gel to sooth my eye area from soreness from runny eyes. It never stings and seems to help so I might even just use that.

You are probably right about eye creams and dark circles. I read the skin thins as you get older and so dark circles get worse. Probably just keeping the eye area moisturised is all you need?

SuzanneSays Fri 14-Feb-14 19:17:00

I like Clinique 'All About Eyes', not the 'Riche' one just the normal one - you only need a tiny amount and just dot it on. I follow that up with a tiny bit of Clinique airbrush concealer for the eyes and immediately look like I've had 10 hrs sleep! I have tried other eye creams but this is the one I always end up returning to.

squoosh Sat 15-Feb-14 02:37:13

Prevage eye serum is the only one I've ever been tempted to buy. Have heard rave reviews. I believe the Elizabth Arden counters give samples.

SpringyReframed Sat 15-Feb-14 10:51:38

I am having girly shopping day in London soon. I shall attempt to get some samples of all the above and report back. Thanks.

Lambzig Sat 15-Feb-14 21:21:48

I like eyeslix. Worked wonders on my sunken looking dark circles.

ihatethecold Sat 15-Feb-14 21:46:51

I have sallow olive skin and dark circles.
I really rate cliniques eye cream. I have used it for years, when it try a different eye cream I can really notice the difference.
I have no wrinkles around my eyes and the dark circles are not too bad.

Sleep and water make the biggest difference I think.

I do think it's the holy grail though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now