Talk

Advanced search

Dd long curlyish hair help

(13 Posts)
Skivvywoman Thu 13-Feb-14 09:37:38

Dd is 7 and her hair is half way down her back, don't want to get it cut and either does she as it's the longest it's ever been, although do get it trimmed,

When she was small her hair was very curly but obv the longer it's getting the curl is dropping, I do dry her hair straight as to be honest it's easier to manage on school days no faffing about and not as tangled, when it's curly though it is lovely but in this weather it's too cold to go to school with damp hair!

Can anybody recommend how to do her hair in the mornings, and shampoo conditioner or products to use??

Skivvywoman Thu 13-Feb-14 09:56:46

Forgot to add her hair is fine but loads of it!

ScooseIsLoose Thu 13-Feb-14 10:02:41

My dd has curly hair too which can be prone to frizz I have recently started using original sprout shampoo and miracle detangler and it's done wonders. You can buy it from john lewis either in store or online it really is brilliant it's made dd hair much more manageable and gives her hair a lovely shine. It also contains rosemary which is a natural headlice repellant so that's a bonus.

Skivvywoman Thu 13-Feb-14 10:16:51

Oh scoose I'll try that I used to use the original sprout stuff when she was a toddler had to send away for it then though!!

So in the morning to you just spray your dd hair with it and comb through? Do you use any shampoo and conditioner? Cause I am and don't know if I should use certain stuff!

Skivvywoman Thu 13-Feb-14 10:17:24

Oops sorry just seen you use the shampoo too

ScooseIsLoose Thu 13-Feb-14 13:08:19

I use the shampoo then spray the detangler on hair after shampooing. I don't use conditioner as I found it left dd hair really lank. I find I don't need to spray on her hair in the morning as it's usually manageable from the night before although you can spray it on dry hair too. Another life saver has been a tangle teezer brush as they don't pull the hair. smile

Skivvywoman Thu 13-Feb-14 15:08:28

I've been into town and bought the body shop rain forest shampoo and conditioner and I've also ordered the miracle detangling spray (much cheaper on amazon) so I'll hopefully be able to manage her hair now!

I've bought a really wide toothed comb from body shop and already got a tangle teezer

purplemurple1 Thu 13-Feb-14 15:25:35

I've llong curly hair and find doing a plait straight after my shower in the evening means I can either go out with a dry plait the next day or undo and run my finger through to either wear it down or in a ponytail.

I tended use an afro comb as a kid now just stick to a strong brush, but only ever brush when my hair is wet.

Andcake Thu 13-Feb-14 15:31:09

I have long curly hair and second plaiting as very useful. Must admit I always leave the house with damp hair but give it a good towel dry.

Also please please please stop straightening it - curly haired girls should be proud of it! Why make her ashamed of her physical appearance at such a young age ;-(

Skivvywoman Thu 13-Feb-14 15:48:58

Andcake I've got very curly hair too but never ever wear it curly always straighten it, I do try and let her wear it curly as she suits it but I don't (know one knows I'm curly actually)

I just need a routine where she can wear curly to school and doesn't need to be wet

Andcake Thu 13-Feb-14 16:25:11

Gosh poor you living hiding your curly hair - i bet it suits you too. I was speaking to an Italian hairdresser friend once and he ranted at me about how the Uk we hide it and I've felt passionate about it ever since. I did work with Pantene and they never used photos of women with curly hair in the uk as it was seen as 'not attractive' - its just more body fascism.

Why spend valuable time straightening it!

purplemurple1 Thu 13-Feb-14 16:32:16

Wet brushing it in the evening with a little condition in a jug of warm water and dip the brush between brushes works if she doesn't shower each night.

As a kid I'd have two small plaits at the side of my head to catch the frizzy bits and these pulled to the back with the rest of my hair down or in a pony depending on the weather / days plans.

Skivvywoman Thu 13-Feb-14 17:28:45

Does anyone know how too make the aloe Vera spray for curly hair until the miracle detangling spray comes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now