Talk

Advanced search

Please recommend me a body wash & cream for my eczema

(16 Posts)
mrsblakey Thu 13-Feb-14 07:30:11

Not sure whether it's been caused by stress or change of washing powder but I have got patches over my body & arms.
Will have a trip down to Boots later so any recommendations for shower gel/ cream & an ointment to treat patches will be gratefully received.

Snowdown Thu 13-Feb-14 07:39:21

I use Naked shampoo as a body wash and to wash my hair. It's sulphate free and that has made a big difference. Still have eczema but nowhere near as bad as it was.

ggirl Thu 13-Feb-14 07:53:11

dermol 500 lotion to wash
doublebase gel for moisturising
and a hydrocortisone cream for patches
probably have to ask at the counter for these

Millionprammiles Thu 13-Feb-14 09:27:26

Personally I'd steer away from Oilatum or E45 brands as they've always made my (and my family's) eczema worse. (The Boots pharmacist might recommend these).
There's a Dermacare range at Boots that has shower cream and moisturiser that I've found soothing as well as the Aveeno range.

If the patches worsen suggest ask your GP for a stronger steroid cream. The over the counter hydrocortisone is v weak.

PuppyMonkey Thu 13-Feb-14 09:28:53

Sanex Zero soap.

Wolfiefan Thu 13-Feb-14 09:34:26

Aqueous cream is cheap to wash with. (NEVER apply as a cream though.)
Doublebase is a gel. Diprobase cream helps me (heavy cream). Dermol helps the DCs (lighter cream that kills itch)
You are certain it is eczema yes?
You may need a steroid.
Put emollient on as frequently as poss. (Every hour or two.)

aylesburyduck Thu 13-Feb-14 09:41:38

Aveeno...

I tried 4 prescription creams, my colleague suggested Aveeno and I've never looked back. I use it constantly on my hands and I've not had a flare up for months.

HelloBoys Thu 13-Feb-14 09:48:44

Stress really played havoc with my eczema and no amount of creams helped.

maybe try yoga/meditation.

HelloBoys Thu 13-Feb-14 09:49:52

oh and I'd get anything unscented.

I'm like the other poster who steered clear of Oilatum etc as they did nothing for my skin. Maybe organic ranges like Naked would do.

VestaCurry Thu 13-Feb-14 09:52:03

Aveeno

BistoBear Thu 13-Feb-14 10:01:45

Dermol 500 for washing and Epiderm for moisturising. I get both on prescription from the doctor. Fairy non-bio for laundering clothes. Avoid all scented products. Moisturise all over twice a day, especially after showering. Strict moisturising regime helps me avoid flare ups and the need for steroid cream.

MistyB Thu 13-Feb-14 10:18:56

Well, you will find as many different suggestions that work for individuals as there are people with eczema. For many people a short dose of steroids is all it takes to get the body working properly again and for others, daily and frequent moisturising is the answer.

For our family,
No SLS, no petroleum (rules out many of the diprobase, e45, pharmacy solutions).
Elimination diet to give your gut a break, then exclude trigger foods
Eat Vitamin A (carrot juice), C and D, oils to strengthen your immune system and reduce inflammation (coconut, borage, sunflower, olive oils, uncooked if possible - add to rice, salads, on pasta)
Rose hip oil as a moisturiser / healing oil and sometimes almond oil / argan oil but one of my DS's is sensitive to nut and seed oils so many natural products are also out.

Your body uses the skin to eliminate toxins and stresses and I find if we can exclude triggers (usually a combination of food, clothing, other products that touch the skin - washing powder etc) and feed the skin from the inside it reduces the amount if things I need to put on from the outside.

I am not in the UK so cannot suggest brands but we use olive oil based shampoo and argan oil shower gel. Don't forget that shampoo and conditioner also end up on your skin.

Be aware that if your body is stressed / sensitive at the moment for whatever reason, natural is not always suitable as many people are also sensitive to nut / seed oils, lanolin, aloe vera, pollen so go gently and keep it simple until you find the things that work for you.

willybreeder Thu 13-Feb-14 10:45:27

I agree with MistyB about avoiding SLS (sodium laurel sulphates). Its in nearly everything including creams like oilatum. Using an sLS free shampoo helped loads as obviously the shampoo runs down your body. Best one we've found is Body Shop Rainforest.
Aveeno is great to moisturise.

mrsblakey Thu 13-Feb-14 12:03:31

Thanks guys off to Boots now....

DrewsWife Thu 13-Feb-14 12:20:32

Epaderm. And it even foams. Useful as a cream and washing cream. Gorgeous and soft and very low allergy indicator.

Avoid E45 always made my skin burn. Eeeek. Avoid lanolin as it can irritate sensitive skin.

I have always had excema and I use porridge oats in tights tied onto the hot tap which softens the water beautifully. And acts as an emollient

BecauseIsaidS0 Thu 13-Feb-14 12:59:11

Google Soapwalla. I think there is now a shop in London that stocks it, but they ship internationally too. The owner is extremely knowledgeable about how to deal wit skin conditions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now