Talk

Advanced search

What shall I ask the hairdresser for?

(30 Posts)
IHateTheHairdressers Wed 12-Feb-14 09:59:13

I'm off to the hairdresser on Saturday for the first time in 6m as I'm fed up with my almost 6m old pulling my hair. That and it needs cutting desperateky!

I was going to go and ask the hairdresser what they'd suggest as usual but having read another thread on here can see that's likely to be ineffective! It's a new hairdressers which has been recommended to me, but I'm not sure if I've got the person my friend had.

So, I always say that I normally just leave my hair to dry naturally, I don't have a lot of time of skill for my hair although I straighten it sometimes. I fancy a fringe as think it'd be better for my face shape but not brave enough as worry about it needing trims and looking after.

Excuse the no makeup shot!

AnnabelleDarling Wed 12-Feb-14 10:54:01

You have lovely hair! I think I might go a bit shorter, just below shoulders, cut in some choppy layers, add a side parting and a side sweeping fringe. This kind of fringe isn't as high maintenance as a centre-parted blunt fringe.

Maverick66 Wed 12-Feb-14 12:46:16

I agree with Annabelle definitely a few choppy layers and a side fringe

IHateTheHairdressers Wed 12-Feb-14 12:49:15

A fringe smile I grew my fringe out at primary school so it's been a l

IHateTheHairdressers Wed 12-Feb-14 12:49:39

Long time. Will it take much 'doing'?

Maverick66 Wed 12-Feb-14 18:28:51

No a side fringe would be pretty low maintenance IMO don't actually have one myself lol

IHateTheHairdressers Wed 12-Feb-14 18:37:38

Sounds good. I think I shall ask for shoulder length, choppy layers and side fringe. Is that correct? Or do I need to take a picture?

Maverick66 Wed 12-Feb-14 18:57:01

Always try and take a picture that way things can't get " lost in translation" quite so easily lol. My friend is a hairdresser and likes clients to bring in a picture.

IHateTheHairdressers Wed 12-Feb-14 19:03:09

Can anyone help me find a picture? Are there good websites for finding that sort of thing?

AnnabelleDarling Wed 12-Feb-14 20:58:20

Google 'Alexa Chung hair'

I can't link now but will be able to tomorrow!

IHateTheHairdressers Thu 13-Feb-14 10:01:22

Something like this Annabelle?

AnnabelleDarling Thu 13-Feb-14 10:31:09

Yes! The second one would really suit you I think smile

AnnabelleDarling Thu 13-Feb-14 10:34:50

I think her hair in the first photo is too long, it drags her face down. In the second she looks much prettier and more youthful.

IHateTheHairdressers Thu 13-Feb-14 10:37:29

I like the second one too, plenty of room for it to grow too if I don't get back for another cut for a while!

AnnabelleDarling Thu 13-Feb-14 10:59:46

I think that cut will really suit you. Mine is a similar length and I can still tie it back if I want too. Don't forget the 'after' photo!

IHateTheHairdressers Thu 13-Feb-14 13:41:56

Will do, cut's 11am Saturday!

IHateTheHairdressers Sat 15-Feb-14 12:48:21

So, cut done but a bit windswept today. I'm fairly happy with it and it is a lot less hair to deal with, but not sure it totally matches with the photo.

Thanks for the help though, felt a lot happier going in with some idea what I wanted!

AnnabelleDarling Sat 15-Feb-14 14:34:46

I love it! That length is really good on you and your hair is a beautiful colour. You can always get them to cut in more of a fringe next time if you want to. Enjoy!

Maverick66 Sat 15-Feb-14 15:45:23

Gorgeous! But be more daring on side fringe next time smile love the length and colour. ;)

iklboo Sat 15-Feb-14 15:59:06

Can I ask a really stupid home colour question please (be gentle)?

I have currently got Garnier 'morello cherry' (deep red) which was last done at the beginning of December so roots need doing & there's some fade of the rest.

Can I put a different shade/brand (although a similar colour) on instead? Maybe the Olio Intense Red?

Maverick66 Sat 15-Feb-14 21:42:28

I would advise caution. Red is notoriously difficult to get rid off if it's not right. If you were happy with Garnier I would stick with it.

furlinedsheepskinjacket Sat 15-Feb-14 21:50:15

looks lovely op really suits you

iklboo Sat 15-Feb-14 22:07:41

Thanks Maverick. I'll stick with what I know!

iklboo Sat 15-Feb-14 22:07:59

OP - looks really lovely!

IHateTheHairdressers Sun 16-Feb-14 07:15:18

Thanks for the comments, and agree on the fringe.

Any tips how I can make it look like it's supposed to have that messy tousled look rather than just...messy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now