Talk

Advanced search

I need hair help please.

(11 Posts)
TequilaMockinBird Wed 12-Feb-14 09:26:05

I have long hair which is naturally quite dark but has been highlighted for the last couple of years.

I'm sick of the roots showing, even when I've just had the highlights done, I still have a small root which I hate. Because I've had highlights done so often, the bulk of my hair is blonde, it looks like a full head colour, it's just the roots that are dark.

So, I'm going to the hairdressers at lunchtime and not sure what I want. Do I get my roots lightened with an all over colour and then the highlights done again (meaning the dark roots won't be visible straight away)? Do I scrap the highlights and just go for a full head one colour? Or do I stop whingeing and stick to my highlights? grin

Helpppppp!

SweetPeaPods Wed 12-Feb-14 09:35:42

Have you ever thought about going dark again?

SweetPeaPods Wed 12-Feb-14 09:36:48

Sorry clicked too soon. I was exactly the same a few years ago, maybe 5. Highlights after highlights. Then I just decided to get it all dyed brown, took a couple of goes now I no longer need my roots touched up.

SnakePlisskensMum Wed 12-Feb-14 09:46:56

I had the same problem so have highlights and lowlights, it breaks up the block colour and stops the roots being so prominent.

TequilaMockinBird Wed 12-Feb-14 09:59:48

Yes I tried dark about 3 years ago and hated it. Thats how I ended up with the highlights, before that I always got full head blonde. It was starting to look a bit like a nylon wig though so I went for the highlights.

Never thought about lowlights. Are the roots still visible though? That is my bugbear, I always think my hair looks really dirty when I have a root showing sad

SnakePlisskensMum Wed 12-Feb-14 10:08:55

They're still visible but not so obvious, I have my own colour as lowlights and the roots are far less obvious but you still look blonde, just more natural. It needs doing far less too. I was having mine done every 6 weeks at one point, I can stretch to 12 now.

TequilaMockinBird Wed 12-Feb-14 10:14:29

That sounds good Snake, may be the solution to my problem then.

Will suggest this to hairdresser and see what he thinks, although I'm tempted to just go in blindfolded and tell him to do whatever he thinks grin

TequilaMockinBird Wed 12-Feb-14 15:27:53

Snake, I took your advice and now have my natural colour as lowlights, with blonde highlights.

I'm not sure if I like it or not though blush, it's a lot darker than I thought it would be. Maybe it just needs getting used to.

SnakePlisskensMum Wed 12-Feb-14 18:11:12

It will feel dark for about a week, then the lowlights will fade as they're on top of all the old colour. It will be fine then, promisewink
You might only need lowlights every other time, just to break it up

cerealqueen Wed 12-Feb-14 21:15:54

How about a demi-permanent over your highlights (like Castings), try out a light /mid brown?

or have you thought about going red?

All colours fade...

TequilaMockinBird Thu 13-Feb-14 08:54:46

I feel a bit better about it this morning.

Both DH and DD have said it's much better like this so that made me feel better too.

I've tried red before but hated it, I think I have the wrong skin tone for red.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now