Talk

Advanced search

Seamstresses! Changing a dresses lining, can it be done?

(9 Posts)
olidusUrsus Tue 11-Feb-14 22:44:52

I have a lovely lace dress but the lining in it is shite.

It's only a high street thing but it was bought as a gift for me by someone special so I'm loathe to return, even if I can find a similar one.

The actual dress is gorgeous but it seems they skimped on quality when it came to lining - it's too clingy and a bit see through. The dress is not flowing but the clingy nature of the lining pulls it in a bit and makes it look a bit weird. I thought I might just be able to whip it out but the lace edges are sewn into it in three seams.

It is possible to get the lining changed? Could I just trim the lining out and wear it with a slip ignores gasps? Or shall I just buy some big white granny pants?

burnishedsilver Tue 11-Feb-14 23:16:52

A good dressmaker should be able to do it easily. My dressmaker thinks nothing of taking a dress apart at the seems yo alter it. Lace is easily altered because it doesn't show the little holes from previous stitching. It would be a shame to risk a diy job.

cloudskitchen Tue 11-Feb-14 23:19:33

I was going to suggest cutting it out and wearing a petticoat/slip. Having a new lining put in may be costly. Turn it inside out and have a look at how the lining is attached. It may not be too traumatic.

janmoomoo Wed 12-Feb-14 10:19:48

Yes cut the lining out and wear a full slip underneath.

Ujjayi Wed 12-Feb-14 10:49:47

Any chance you could post a photo of the dress?

These kinds of alterations can often be expensive because although it seems like a small job, there is potentially quite a lot of faffing to be done - particularly as it appears the fabric layers have been sewn together. Which seams are actually sewn together? e.g. side seams? hem? neckline? Lace doesn't usually show previous stitching holes but it can be a bit of a nightmare to unpick, particularly with overlocked seams (which I am assuming it has as it's a high street piece).

Cost will also depend on what kind of lining you want to replace it with. You can buy decent anti-static polyester/acetate lining fabrics but IMO you cannot beat silk as a lining fabric, particularly with lace.

If the dress is for summer wear, you could just remove the lining yourself and wear a decent slip. (I am a womenswear designer, btw, and I would take this option as a first resort for summer dresses). If that didn't work the dress can still be taken to a seamstress and re-lined. Use very sharp scissors and take it slow and steady, using the entire length of the scissors in each cut (so you get a nice smooth rather than jagged finish on the cut edge).

Hopefully Wed 12-Feb-14 10:50:46

It wouldn't be the cheapest thing ever, but I would think most dressmakers would happily do it. Might be easier to cut the lining out and wear a slip, as you say, but if the rest of the dress is reasonable quality I'd probably invest in getting it relined.

Ujjayi Wed 12-Feb-14 11:01:40

ooh just a quick last thought...if the lining of the fabric is attached to the lace around the neckline then definitely get it sorted by a seamstress. It will need properly re-stitching or it will look terrible.

olidusUrsus Wed 12-Feb-14 17:07:35

Have v. knowledgeable sewing person friend who has offered to give it a once over in return for cake. Will let you know what she says and post a picture if anyone cares.

Thanks so much for all the advice! <stares at fabric scissors longingly>

cloudskitchen Wed 12-Feb-14 22:13:16

I care grin my scissors would be in my hand grin grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now