Talk

Advanced search

Help - calling HOC consultants...

(18 Posts)
BeginnerSAHM Tue 11-Feb-14 21:31:23

A couple of posters on the mumsnet 'Spring resprung' thread are having shocks at being 'misdiagnosed'.... I suspect you'll say that is because they went to CMB first (shock) but if Hopefully or Travelin could have a quick read of the most recent posts we Springs (or possibly Winter/Autumns) would be very grateful.... I expect it's a case of going back to the HOC consultant but you might be able to add something! Thank you grin!!

Hopefully Tue 11-Feb-14 21:42:52

Have posted on the thread Beginner.

BeginnerSAHM Wed 12-Feb-14 06:12:58

Thanks v much Hopefully!! Was wondering how you were doing!

TravelinColour Wed 12-Feb-14 10:19:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Waitingforthephonetoring Wed 12-Feb-14 10:39:01

Sorry to hijack, but I have a couple of questions.
1) Does wearing fake tan change your season? i.e. if my SIL is a winter (v pale skin) but insists on wearing a fairly light fake tan all year will winter colours still suit her best?
2) I'm a spring and am happy with my colours but found my shape and style advice difficult to work together. My consultant hasn't replied to a couple of emails (and I was analysed quite a while ago so feel bad pestering her a few years down the line). So my question is which is more important the shape advice to flatter my rather large shape or the style of clothes for my style (gamine).

Hopefully Wed 12-Feb-14 10:45:10

Re fake tan, her colours will still look better than any other colours. Adding her colours will help neutralise the artificial yellowness of the tan a little (as yellow is not a colour naturally found in her skin tone, but is a colour found in 99% of fake tans), so will be better than suddenly adding warm colours and making herself look positively jaundiced.

Re style v colour, I think one of the biggest things to accept is that shopping is a slower process once you know your colours and style - there aren't going to be hundreds of things that work for both your colour and your style - the aim of the exercise is to narrow down what you buy, after all. Picking things up as you see them rather than shopping for, say, a party this weekend, is generally the best way to shop. I don't think it's necessary to sacrifice one for the other. Personally, if you held a gun to my head, I'd I've to say I'd be more likely to push the colour slightly off than the style (I can't cope with wearing anything not exactly my style), but I know there are consultants who would do the opposite. And I have only felt the need to do that perhaps once or twice in six years.

Waitingforthephonetoring Wed 12-Feb-14 10:55:12

Thank you for your speedy reply. My SIL has always been a fake tan queen, but at least she has been more subtle about it since she had her colours done!
My issue is that the shapes of clothes I was given as the shape part of my style day feel really good at flattering my curvy (polite version) figure, hiding my flaws and accentuating the bits I like, but my gamine personality part was given far more fitted, shorter skirts, jackets, etc. and this was different to the notes I made in the body section. I have tried the shift dresses and short skirts recommended for gamine, but feel as wide (if not wider) than I am tall. The fitted stuff seems to accentuate all the rolls of flab around my ribs to hips areas.

TravelinColour Wed 12-Feb-14 10:56:49

TravelinColour Wed 12-Feb-14 11:02:35

Waitingforthephonetoring Wed 12-Feb-14 11:16:12

Yes, I think that's what confused me. The gamine thing I get, I've googled /pinterest searched and found some great ideas that I love the look of. But the drapey shapes are what my body shape section seemed to direct me towards. It is the drapey that suits my actual body shape, but it is not that gamine?

TravelinColour Wed 12-Feb-14 11:48:05

Hopefully Wed 12-Feb-14 12:00:19

I suspect that as Travel says, you need gamine things that are fitted for a curvy body shape (she is a curvy full gamine so knows of what she speaks!). Sometimes the hardest part can be making the mental leap to 'actually, I can wear these shapes' if you've been conditioned into thinking that curvy shapes need a very particular type of dressing, and realising that you can look slimmer in, say, well fitting structured clothes than looser floaty drapey things.

There is a style development class now which could give you an opportunity to ask your consultant some more questions and get into more depth about your body shape v your personality.

Waitingforthephonetoring Wed 12-Feb-14 12:00:48

Or loose weight! Maybe when I've lost the last stone it will all come together!

Thanks everyone!

Waitingforthephonetoring Wed 12-Feb-14 12:07:32

Style Development Day looks great. I think I will put it on my birthday present list as a reward for the next stage of weight loss.

TravelinColour Wed 12-Feb-14 12:10:43

Hopefully Wed 12-Feb-14 12:16:18

Actually Travel I'm not sure you would look thinner in, say, one of my ruched dresses. Generally accepted wisdom says you should, but I'm not sure you actually would as it would be so wrong on you that it wouldn't create something slender and visually pleasing. IYKWIM.

Hopefully Wed 12-Feb-14 12:16:28

Plus you'd feel like an idiot grin

TravelinColour Wed 12-Feb-14 14:22:57

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now