Talk

Advanced search

Nursing bra advice

(9 Posts)
TheScience Tue 11-Feb-14 19:10:29

Pre-pregnancy I am usually a 30DD.

I am now 38 weeks and am measuring 32" around the ribcage and 38" around the fullest part.

Is it too soon to buy a nursing bra? And if not, what size should I try?

Featherbag Tue 11-Feb-14 19:23:59

I bought some of those stretchy unstructured bras to see me through the first few weeks until I settled into a size - you know, the ones you buy in dress size? I found them really supportive and cheap enough that I could have a few.

HazleNutt Tue 11-Feb-14 19:28:42

Many shops will fit you at 38 weeks. I say, too soon - you can't predict what size your boobs will be once the milk comes in. Get something stretchy for the first days, like Royce Blossom, and proper bras later.

You might also want to consider buying normal bras and converting them yourself - non-wired nursing bras simply won't offer the same support and personally I can't stand them. Not to mention that they are massively overpriced.

Featherbag Tue 11-Feb-14 19:33:07

How do you convert ordinary ones?!

lovetheseasons1 Tue 11-Feb-14 19:34:26

I was recommended Bravado nursing bras (soft bands, no digging in). They are a god-send when your milk comes in - I just bought large as I was a DD in pregnancy and probably went up to an E. The style is called something Silk. They are so soft you can sleep in them and they have removable breast pads. Not very sexy but very practical and wash well!

TheScience Tue 11-Feb-14 19:37:30

I've seen some Hotmilk bras in a sale so am tempted to get some now! I just had ugly M&S plain bras last time.

Should I go for 32E with those measurements?

HazleNutt Tue 11-Feb-14 20:16:42

very easy to convert, I got clips from ebay, but some shops sell them too. Instructions (can be sewn by hand as well, i don't have a machine): www.lazyseamstress.net/2012/07/adapting-regular-bra-into-nursing-bra.html

TheWiseOldElf Tue 11-Feb-14 20:21:22

I agree with PPs re getting some stretchy ones for the first few weeks. DD2 is 2 weeks and my boobs change in size from one hour to the next. I'm also quite leaky so am changing and washing bras quite frequently so I don't want to be in nice bras yet. I know from DD1 that this will settle down in a couple of weeks and I can then treat myself to something a bit nicer. The stretchy ones will then just be worn at night.

AnythingNotEverything Tue 11-Feb-14 20:30:07

The bravado crop top style ones are great for when your milk comes in, and around the house and a godsend for sleeping in. Really comfy, if not amazingly supportive (but then they don't go up to my actual size so I'm having to fudge it a bit).

I was fitted in bravissimo at 38 weeks and they made sure I left with a bra with room to grow in it. A non wired bra tends to have a bit more give than a wired one.

I'd either get a bravado or a Royce bra at bravissimo now (possibly both actually), them if you are still feeding after three weeks go back to bravissimo. Of you're still feeding at 6 weeks, your size will probably have settled down and you can invest in a wired bra or convert an existing wired one - with any luck one you've worn during pregnancy will fit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now