Talk

Advanced search

Are facials worth the cost?

(7 Posts)
BigFairy Tue 11-Feb-14 15:16:14

Hello. I'm in my early thirties and have noticed that I have aged quite a bit over the last year or so (having had DC1 probably did not help!). I look after my skin well in terms of cleanse, tone, moisturise (UVA and UVB protection for daytime) and use serum and do a face mask once or twice a week. I've never had facials due to the expense. I'm now wondering if facials really do make a difference and if so how frequently I would need to try to have one. I am prepared to spend a bit more on my appearance at the moment but don't want to waste money on something that won't really do much. Thanks for any advice.

MumOfTheMoos Tue 11-Feb-14 15:27:52

It depends on the facial!

I've had some really great facials - that have turned hung over faces into really glowing faces but some where I'm not sure I couldn't have done better with a bit of cleanser, toner and face scrub. I lived briefly in Barbados and used to go to a local salon there that used to whip out the magnifying glass and going to town on your blackheads! Painful but very thorough....

However, they are v relaxing and usually involve some sort of face and head massage. In past days, when Saturdays were my own, I used to go and have a facial then a massage or visa versa and it was mucho nice. But I would look upon them as a pamper treat more than a programme of skin improvement, if you see what I mean.

Dontletthemgetyoudown Tue 11-Feb-14 16:00:57

I'm off for my first at 4.30. I'm 37 and I've always thought my own facial was good enough but I found a new therapist for waxing and she had an offer on for a luxury facial so I thought I'd give it a go.

I cleanse tone and moisturise twice a day. I use a serum in the evening and a face mask a few times a month. I also exfoliate a couple of times a week but my skin seems to be very dull. Hoping at the least to pick up some tips and looking forward the neck and shoulder massage.

1974rach Tue 11-Feb-14 19:30:56

When I was "rich" I had a few Heaven facials by a lady called Deborah Mitchell. They were utterly amazing and I had a lovely glow for days after.
These days I tend to have one or two a year, generally when I'm on a spa break. To be honest, I don't notice the difference because they are quick 30 minute nicey nicey rubby facey things rather than "treatments".

I also rate the hydradermie facial by Guinot, but I have found that I needed to have a course rather than a one off.

Dontletthemgetyoudown Tue 11-Feb-14 19:45:37

It was bliss. First had my eyebrows shaped and then the 'luxury' facial. Cleanse, exfoliate, massage, mask, neck shoulder arm and hand massage, hot cloth, clean off mask then massage in moisturiser.

My skin feels fabulous. Trying not to touch it. Was very relaxing and well worth the £22. I have booked in for next month. Can't believe it's taken me 37 years to have my first one.

Will remember to wear just a vest top under my cardigan/jacket next time as forgot needed to get to my shoulders and went straight from work in a shift dress and jacket.

TheJumped Tue 11-Feb-14 19:52:40

I've only ever had one pro one, find it hard to justify the cost as half the time I fall into bed with makeup still on!

I do home facials whenever I have a bath though - double cleanse with cream cleanser, facial scrub, Mudd clay mask while I soak, then facial oil massaged in (Nuxe) and thick Nivea on top. My face definitely glows and feels softer and smoother afterwards, I must try to do it weekly.

BigFairy Tue 11-Feb-14 22:07:10

Thanks for the replies. I might try one when I need a treat then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now