Talk

Advanced search

Any dentists here? My veneer is going black

(12 Posts)
rollingpastryagain Tue 11-Feb-14 10:35:55

It's my front tooth and it was a replacement porcelain veneer fitted a couple of years ago (first one last about 10 years).

It started discolouring - suddenly - a couple of months ago. Looks terrible. What would have caused this?

rollingpastryagain Tue 11-Feb-14 18:08:18

Any dentists now? smile

higgle Tue 11-Feb-14 19:07:54

bump - mrsmorton is a dentist but she usually posts on health - could you add the post in there?

Annianni Tue 11-Feb-14 19:08:44

I'd repost in chat

Hope you get it sorted ok.

rollingpastryagain Tue 11-Feb-14 21:43:28

oh thank you both. I'll try your suggestions.

Mrsmorton Wed 12-Feb-14 00:29:08

Hi OP'hope you're still here! Can you say a bit about what's under your veneer and why you had it?

Veneers aren't very good at blocking colour because they are so thin so if you can give me so,e info about your original tooth then we can get to the bottom of why its going black and what you can do about it.

caketinrosie Wed 12-Feb-14 00:37:47

Mrs m I have an appt with my lovely dentist soon, I wanted my teeth whitened but he refused as I have a dental condition so my enamel is thin, my dentist said it would be a bad idea and my teeth could go patchy shock so I was considering veneers. But black teeth ?? Is that a likely possibility?? What's your thoughts on veneers?

Mrsmorton Wed 12-Feb-14 00:41:33

Veneers are very difficult to do well, the best would be "direct composite" where we build up your teeth using white fillings. It's conservative so it doesn't drill away health tooth, it's reversible so we can just take it off if you don't like it and it's repairable if bits break off.

Thin enamel is tough because it can often look yellow, not because of staining but because the under layer of teeth can show through.

Ask your dentist about composite veneers or porcelain ones, ask specifically about the risk if loss of vitality (tooth dying) and the likelihood that your thin enamel will allow a good bonding strength between the tooth and enamel.

caketinrosie Wed 12-Feb-14 00:44:41

Ooh good advice gratefully received! I would kill for sparkly white gnashers! And I brush and floss to no avail sad

rollingpastryagain Wed 12-Feb-14 09:39:23

Hello Mrs Morton, OP here again. The original veneer was put on because one of my front teeth (if I remember correctly) was a bit discoloured and perhaps thinner than the other one. It was put on probably about 15 years ago and fell off a couple of years ago.

I obviously had to be veneer-less while the second one was being made don't recall the tooth underneath being any worse than it had been the last time I saw it.

The veneer was fine for a couple of years until it overnight discoloured. There appears to be one particular area - almost a circle where the darkness is most prominent.

To be honest I don't know what the veneer has been made of. I think the dentist said porcelain. I went to the manufacturer and they took a colour match of my other front tooth.

Thanks

Mrsmorton Wed 12-Feb-14 12:21:41

It could be that the cement has started leaking and let some stain underneath or that the tooth underneath has started to decay. You would probably taste something nasty if that was the case.

Has your dentist looked at it? I would take an x ray if you were my patient to look at the root and the fit of the veneer and whether the tooth underneath looks healthy.

rollingpastryagain Wed 12-Feb-14 12:41:18

Thanks. I haven't got a dentist yet. Have just returned to the UK and am living in an area where I have no idea on where to find a good dentist so I wanted to have some information up my sleeve before I try and find one.

Thanks for the advice. Better find a dentist pdq - although no bad taste so hopefully the tooth underneath is ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now