Talk

Advanced search

Do you always tip hairdressers

(19 Posts)
Olivegirl Tue 11-Feb-14 08:12:19

I'm never sure what to do...
Do we not pay enough anyway?
I have a few friends who say they never leave tips as they are charged enough, others say hairdressers are not paid much ?
I have given a small tip occasionally but last time I didn't ?? It feels embarrassing both ways as 1.have I tipped enough?
2.awkward I haven't tipped at all ??

napoleonsnose Tue 11-Feb-14 08:15:09

I only ever have a wet cut in the hairdressers as I begrudge the extra for a blow dry. The cut costs me £20 and I usually leave £1.50 - £2 as a tip. It depends what change I have in my purse really.

ImATotJeSuisUneTot Tue 11-Feb-14 08:16:49

Depends, if I have change, if DDs have been done, time of year, etc.

Been with my hairdresser for 10yrs though, she's like a mate and never expects anything.

fieldfare Tue 11-Feb-14 08:17:49

I have mine cut by one of the salon directors so I think she probably earns enough anyway. I do give a fiver to the lovely chap that washes my hair as he always gives me a fab head massage and I figure he probably doesn't earn all that much.

Missred Tue 11-Feb-14 08:21:24

I'm in the first camp; already pay £££ and rather resent the expectation for that little extra.

Leviticus Tue 11-Feb-14 08:21:42

I tip a fiver because I feel it's expected but I wish I had the balls to just pay the price at the till. Even then I wonder if they think it should be 10% but that would double it and I draw the line.

Hazelbrowneyes Tue 11-Feb-14 08:35:05

I always pay by card so never tip. She's become a good friend though and I don't think she expects it. Infact, the last time I went in, she wanted to experiment so didn't charge me for the foils she put in and the time before that she knocked £20 off.

I always buy her a Christmas present and occasionally throughout the year I take in a box of chocolates or a bottle of wine.

KristinaM Tue 11-Feb-14 08:39:17

I tip a fiver too

Olivegirl Tue 11-Feb-14 08:51:52

Oh....fivers!??..The most I've tipped is two pounds...blush
I only have a dry cut ...but I have it straightened and thinned out ..I have very thick hair ..it takes them ages but I don't go to one particular hairdresser.

The reason I didn't tip last time was ,this particular hairdresser was recommended by a friend who never leaves tips.
So I started as I mean to go on hmm

RonaldMcDonald Tue 11-Feb-14 08:57:41

Yes, between £10 and £15 depending on her time

janmoomoo Tue 11-Feb-14 15:03:36

Last time I had my hair cut and coloured it was £85. I don't feel particularly inclined to hand over another five or ten quid. I did give my hairdresser at ten quid tip when she left to have her baby, but otherwise generally not.

Also most hairdressers are self employed and rent the chair in the salon so they decide what they charge. Its not like the old days when hairdressers were paid a pittance by an exploitative salon owner. Or am I wrong?

supadupapupascupa Tue 11-Feb-14 15:06:30

i never tip. i pay £33 for 20mins. I think that's enough

Felix90 Tue 11-Feb-14 15:09:53

I always tip but usually round up to the next 5 or 10 quid. Usually costs about £30/32ish for a haircut so I give them £35.

AGoodPirate Tue 11-Feb-14 15:21:16

I always tip hairdressers and taxi drivers. Oh and in restaurants.

SnowBells Tue 11-Feb-14 16:10:05

My haircut and finish (no colour) costs £80. Surely, that's enough for an hour's time???

DramaAlpaca Tue 11-Feb-14 16:14:46

My salon shares tips between all the staff. I pay €35 for a cut & blow dry & hand over an extra €5 to be put in the pot for the staff. If I'm getting my highlights done I'll give them proportionately more.

Olivegirl Tue 11-Feb-14 18:54:48

I'm inclined to think we all pay enough
So I will pay what's owed and that's it.
Prices seem to be extortionate lately ??

Saurus72 Tue 11-Feb-14 18:58:42

I pay around £90 for highlights and a cut, so tip about £10. I really like my hairdresser and she does a brilliant job.

ShyGirlie Tue 11-Feb-14 21:01:18

i dont tip. dont understand the tipping culture to be honest. does the price charged not cover it all??? or where do u draw the line??

u may as well start tipping supermarket cashiers, bus drivers, doctors, nurses, dentists? where does it stop? i dont feel obliged to tip in restaurants, hairdressers or anywhere as things are expensive enough and the workers are bound to be getting a fair wage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now