Talk

Advanced search

Wedding Dress Ideas for lovely petite bride please!! (Not me!!)

(12 Posts)
Katnisscupcake Mon 10-Feb-14 14:51:29

I am looking for ideas for my gorgeous SIL-to-be.

She is a petite 5ft 1 and a size 8-10. She is looking for ideas for her wedding dress and really has no clue what to go for because of her height.

She doesn't want a meringue-style dress as she really doesn't think that it will suit her. Any thoughts? Or any pics that you can find/add would be wonderful!!

Margene Mon 10-Feb-14 15:00:14

What's her style? How does she usually dress?

Honeysweet Mon 10-Feb-14 15:03:00

Has she been to wedding dress shops yet. They should be very helpful and stock a range of dresses in all sorts of sizes.
And apparently, every wedding dress is altered to fit nearer the date.
Can you tell that I have been in them lately!

ruby1234 Mon 10-Feb-14 15:06:49

My dd is very petite, she got her dress from a huge bridal shop in Northallerton, North Yorkshire - they had hundreds to choose from in all styles and sizes. She had to have it taken in a bit, but it was lovely!

Katnisscupcake Mon 10-Feb-14 15:07:11

Hmmmm that's a good question Margene... She's a HC worker so often in her uniform which consists of trousers. Outside work she is a jeans girl but does like wearing dresses in the summer. She wants to look very girly and feminine for her big day.

Honeysweet, no she hasn't been to any shops yet. They get married in May 2015 so she's just starting to think about it but is worried about the sort of thing she should go for because of her height. She also has quite broad, slightly rounded shoulders...

Margene Mon 10-Feb-14 15:40:21

I think lace is always pretty and feminine.

bishboschone Mon 10-Feb-14 22:02:44

Just go to a shop and try loads on , they know what suits and they pin them on you to fit so you can get an idea of size . I don't think you can choose a dress it has to kind of choose you .

bishboschone Mon 10-Feb-14 22:03:01

Obvs I mean a wedding dress shop.

WestYorkshireGirl Mon 10-Feb-14 22:08:15

I am very petite and the meringue style looked ridiculous! I got an empire line style (think Pride and Prejudice) which worked on me and I loved it. I agree the best thing is to go and try lots of things and look in magazines!

Katnisscupcake Tue 11-Feb-14 07:46:50

Ruby, wow, your DD looks amazing!!! I think the style would look wonderful on my SIL-to-be!! The only thing that worries me is that she is slightly round-shouldered and broader around her shoulders/back than the rest of her. But I will definitely show her this pic and suggest she tries on some like this.

Thank you all!!

I think she is planning to go and look around all the wedding shops and make some appointments, but she does seem to be worrying about it quite a bit, it's the first time I've known her to be worried about her height! But she will look amazing!!

ruby1234 Tue 11-Feb-14 10:27:46

Katnisscupcake thank you for the lovely comments!

The dress was from a range by the designer Ronald Joyce, if you look online at his designs they mostly seem to be designed for petite brides. I think there are lots of stockists around the UK

The dress my DD has was originally strapless, but the seamstress made some straps out of the bit cut off the bottom.... We also saved some of the offcuts and the florist used them to wrap round the stems of the bride and bridesmaids bouquets.

Have a lovely time dress hunting.

bishboschone Tue 11-Feb-14 10:35:34

She mustn't worry about her height , my sister was short Nd size 24 when she got married and yes she didn't look great in a lot of dresses but we found one she looked amazing in . They know what they are doing ( if you find a good shop ) and no doubt will find a fab dress.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now