Talk

Advanced search

Pityriasus Rosea......any experiences please?

(12 Posts)
TwoNoisyBoys Sat 08-Feb-14 22:48:47

Not sure if I should post this in S&B or health but lots of knowledgable ladies here for other skin problems, so hoping someone can help smile I was diagnosed with this a few weeks ago. It got worse pretty quickly, with lots of patches over my stomach, back, boobs, inner thighs and under my upper arms. My doctor basically said it'll clear up by itself, but did prescribe me some Doublebase. The patches on my arms and thighs seem to be clearing, but the ones on my stomach and back are the same....not really clearing at all. Does anyone have any experience or advice please? TIA smile

libertychick Sat 08-Feb-14 22:54:41

I had this about 10 years ago. It will clear but the patches on my stomach took ages to go - several months in fact, but it leaves no scars.

TwoNoisyBoys Sat 08-Feb-14 23:02:59

Thanks LibertyChick....it's a nuisance isn't it? Nice to hear of other experiences though.....I've Googled it but all the information seems pretty vague....just that it's self limiting, no real cause known, and should disappear within 2-6 months! I'm not in the habit of wearing crop tops :D but I am going on my first beach holiday for 6 years in April, and would like to uncover a little bit without feeling quite so self conscious....

libertychick Sat 08-Feb-14 23:10:36

It is a complete PITA! I was completely freaked out when it started but GP reassured me. You might need a one piece swimsuit for your hols - my tummy was the last area to clear.

rubybleu Sun 09-Feb-14 06:59:13

I had this about 8 years ago, like you I was completely freaked out! It started as a spot on my tummy that hung around for a week or two. Then it exploded & I turned into this blotchy, patchy monster all over my torso.

It took about 6 weeks to clear totally. The big "mother" spot on your belly will stick around the longest. I'm sure you will be ok by your each holiday.

MissBeehiving Sun 09-Feb-14 07:53:20

I had this, not badly but just before I went on holiday. The sun seemed to clear it up actually. However I've tried salcura recently for other skin issues and it's really good and it treats roseacea. You can get a sample for the cost of the postage so might be worth a go?

TwoNoisyBoys Sun 09-Feb-14 12:50:03

Thanks so much for your replies.....Freaked out is EXACTLY the right phrase! Started off as a small patch on my thigh, there for about two weeks, then literally exploded! At one point I was getting up in the night to see if my face had erupted! Thanks for the reassuring words everyone.....and I'll definitely try that MissBeehiving smile thanks v much......can I just ask - has it reoccurred with anyone, or was it just a one off?

nomoreminibreaks Sun 09-Feb-14 12:57:20

I've been diagnosed with pityriasis versicolor, which looks similar I think. After various treatments prescribed by a doctor, including selsun dandruff shampoo (apparently it's the same condition somehow), I tried nizoral and it completely cleared up. Hope that helps.

Bonsoir Sun 09-Feb-14 12:58:46

I had this when I was 18. It took about 3 months to clear up IIRC. Not pleasant to look at, but not painful. There is no treatment.

LinusDKD Sun 09-Feb-14 13:11:48

I also had this as a teenager. It cleared up completely but did take a while iirc.

Twinklestein Sun 09-Feb-14 13:47:34

I had this in the summer - never heard of it before - and was alarmed at the stories of it taking months to clear up. I looked online for advice, thinking I would try anything.

In the end I took: Vit C, Vit E, liquid zinc, and Echinaforce 'Milk Thistle Complex'. As soon as I started taking the combination it dramatically faded the next day, and went within a week. No idea whether the supplements helped, but up to the point I started taking them - every day I woke up it was worse. It was everywhere, apart from my face, which is apparently characteristic.

My GP said it may be the result of a viral infection, possibly associated with low immune system.

Twinklestein Sun 09-Feb-14 13:52:03

The other tip I was given was exposure to sunlight. Obviously normally one would want to avoid ultraviolet light, but anecdotal evidence online suggests that people who exposed their rashes to sunlight found benefit.
I don't know if the sun would be strong enough in Feb, but at least you don't have to worry about sunburn...

Just reading this thread is making me itchy again... shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now