Talk

Advanced search

Bra people. Nursing bras?

(14 Posts)
SoManyIllustrations Fri 07-Feb-14 09:35:40

When do i need to get fitted and where? If i go to mothercare etc i will end up in a 36 band again with horrible sausage boobs sad bit not sure that milky boobs will cope with being too tightly bound!

WhereIsMyHat Fri 07-Feb-14 09:46:59

I really liked this website here and I loved the seamless bras, they're very comfortable and great for the fluctuations boob size pre and post feed.

AntoinetteCosway Fri 07-Feb-14 09:51:18

Can I hijack slightly? I'm pregnant and cannot for love nor money find a non-wired bra that doesn't just squish them together in a crop-top-mono-boob sort of way. I'm currently a 34GG so if they're squashed together they rub really painfully in the middle. To the extent that I'm bleeding shock

Does anyone know of any non-wired bras that keep boobs separate from each other? I'm really in a lot of pain and having to come up with all sorts of novel ways to stop them touching. Currently have a folded tissue between them a la my grandmother.

HazleNutt Fri 07-Feb-14 09:51:52

First, absolutely agree, do not go to mothercare. Many sources will recommend getting fitted a couple of weeks before due date. I, from personal experinece, disagree - your rib cage is likely to get smaller and there's no telling how big your boobs will get. At least don't go all nuts buying up the whole shop, as the bras might not fit you for too long.

So I would recommend - measure yourself, get a couple of soft stretchy bras to start with that would accommodate several sizes. (like Royce Blossom). After your size has settled down, if you still want a personal fitting, go to Bravissimo. Or just use the fitting guide here: http://thebetterbracampaign.blogspot.com/ , order online and try at home - just order from a place offering free delivery and returns.

But now the most important question - sure you even want to torture yourself with nursing bras? Even the best non-underwired nursing bras (and I've tried many) will not give you the same support and you are likely to end up with droopy monoboobs.
Contrary to popular opinion, it is actually totally fine to wear underwires during breastfeeding - unfortunately there are very few underwired nursing bras available, especially in bigger cups. So my solution was to get my normal Freya, Fantasie, Curvy Kate etc bras cheap from ebay and convert them to nursing bras myself. You can find instructions and clips online.

HazleNutt Fri 07-Feb-14 09:53:09

antoinette, any specific reason why you want a non-wired bra? It is also fine to keep wearing underwired bras during pregnancy, and at GG, you need the support of wires.

RonaldMcDonald Fri 07-Feb-14 09:53:37

I used underwired nursing bras as the unwired ones were grim on me

I liked this one
<it was the days before I had been resized...!>

WhereIsMyHat Fri 07-Feb-14 09:55:36

Anionette, what about this

AntoinetteCosway Fri 07-Feb-14 10:00:40

That Carriwell bra looks perfect! Thank you so much.

Erm, why do I want non-wired? I don't know. Because I thought that's what you're supposed to do? blush I got measured at a great independent place in my last pregnancy and they told me not to wear wires. I was kitted out with a few Hot Milk bras that were fab but since then my boobs must have changed shape as I didn't have the squashing issue last time despite being a similar size! I suppose also mine seem to grow so fast and so much in pregnancy that I'm worried it I wear underwire it'll be too small quite fast and do some damage before I have a chance to get another size. I'm usually a 32F, am currently 14 weeks and already much bigger and assuming I'm going to get bigger still.

HazleNutt Fri 07-Feb-14 10:09:47

It is fine to wear underwires during pregnancy.
Of course, as your size shanges, you don't want to invest in a drawer full of fancy bras - but there's no need to walk around with a painful monoboob. I used to seach ebay for bargains - if you're not that picky about a certain model or style, there are plenty to be found.

(I have that carriwell bra by the way, was 32FF pre-pregnancy. Unfortunately did not find it supportive enough to actually go out of the house in it, so just used it for sleeping)

RalphRecklessCardew Fri 07-Feb-14 10:17:02

Hotmilk seem ok.

Umlauf Fri 07-Feb-14 10:19:19

The Royce soft cup and nursing bras keep your boobs separate, they aren't very attractive but do separate them.

JamInMyWellies Fri 07-Feb-14 10:20:21

Try bravado bras they are great.

AnythingNotEverything Fri 07-Feb-14 10:24:51

I went from a 32g to a 34j and got all my bras from Bravissimo. Wired during pregnancy (just be vigilant about replacing them as you grow) and non wired Royce now I'm breastfeeding. I haven't yet found an underwired nursing bra but am hoping to try hotmilk, or get a lady on eBay to convert a normal bra for me (£9.50 - bargain!).

blackteaplease Fri 07-Feb-14 11:39:31

I have had really good fittings in John Lewis for nursing bras. They measure by eye.

I made the mistake of going to M&S for dd and was uncomfortable for the whole 2 years of feeding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now