Talk

Advanced search

These specs are too big, aren't they?

(22 Posts)
TheFillyjonk Thu 06-Feb-14 19:16:56

Ignore the daft face I'm pulling.

I'm a contact lens wearer and have avoided having a pair of glasses since god knows when. I have a stupidly narrow face which makes frames very difficult to fit.

I needed a pair of glasses and Vision Express offered me a second pair for free. These are the "free" pair which I must admit I chose very quickly in a rush to get out. I liked these in the shop and still do like the shape, but there is miles of space between my face and the frame. I can't get away with these, can I?

sonlypuppyfat Thu 06-Feb-14 19:19:55

You look like a very stern headmistress!

TheFillyjonk Thu 06-Feb-14 19:20:56

Haha, I do actually!

Catsmamma Thu 06-Feb-14 19:24:52

You'd just about get away with them if you were not short sighted which is giving you the teeeeeeeeny tinnnnnnnnnnny face behind giant specs effect.

if you haven't had them anti reflection coated they might tint them down for sunnies for you? They might change them for another frame if they can cut the lenses down...some places are not keen and it might depend on the lens type.

Or you can put them away and never wear them again. unless you need to impersonate Sue Pollard at all, ever

TheFillyjonk Thu 06-Feb-14 19:28:25

I might see if Vision Express will change them for me. I know I'm going to have to end up getting bloody children's frames. Good idea about getting them tinted though.

I don't know why I'm working myself up about it so much as I HATE wearing glasses, and if I didn't keep running out of contact lenses, I wouldn't have any at all.

Tittered at the Sue Pollard comment. She is a prize knob, I used to work at a theatre and served her behind the bar.

Uptheanty Thu 06-Feb-14 19:32:23

The outside of the frame should be inline with the edge of your face.

The glasses are very nice, but unfortunately they are to big for you sad

Sorry

TheFillyjonk Thu 06-Feb-14 19:35:05

It's okay, Uptheanty. They were technically "free" so it's no real loss. I'm worried about the pair I actually paid for now though.

pictish Thu 06-Feb-14 19:36:43

Yes they are too big. They dwarf your face, giving an exaggerated comedy like effect.

You are pretty and would suit them if they fitted.

BakingBad Thu 06-Feb-14 19:37:57

I have the same problem and have been annoyed at opticians Boots for selling me glasses that I've later realised are too big for my face (difficult to tell when you're looking through them without lenses).

Teen ranges are sometimes ok and designer frames often come in different sizes. My present ones are by Mexx and they're the best glasses I've ever had.

I second having them tinted as sunglasses as the frames are nice.

Catsmamma Thu 06-Feb-14 19:40:37

it's often worth going a bit smaller than you would usually for frames if you are shortsighted.

Children and Teen ranges are good to look at if you need something a bit neater.

Good luck for when you go back!

TheFillyjonk Thu 06-Feb-14 19:42:00

Aw, thanks Pictish. They definitely dwarf my features and yes, it is a bit of a comedy effect!

BakingBad, I was wondering why they didn't look too big in the shop. It all makes sense now! I will have a look at the teen frames and enquire about sizing.

At least I'll get a pair of shades out of this! grin

TheWomanTheyCallJayne Thu 06-Feb-14 19:42:24

I have the same problem.
I went to an independent shop and they found me several great pairs by looking at me and knowing what would suit. In the end one said I know the perfect pair but we don't have them, do you trust me to order them for me. I did and they're the best pair I've ever had. Cheapest pair too

You look just like I picture you!

TheFillyjonk Thu 06-Feb-14 19:47:19

Thanks for the tip, Jayne - that sounds like exactly what I need. I'm so glad you've found a good pair of specs.

Isn't it funny how you get a picture of posters in your head!

Coumarin Thu 06-Feb-14 21:42:19

You look like Belle out if Beauty and the Beast.

<not helpful>

TheFillyjonk Thu 06-Feb-14 22:34:24

That is helpful, Coumarin!

twirls --massive specs fall off--

TheFillyjonk Thu 06-Feb-14 22:35:17

Oops

<twirls> massive specs fall off

TravelinColour Thu 06-Feb-14 22:36:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bzoo Thu 06-Feb-14 22:37:16

You can take them back to VE and exchange within 30 days smile

Dumpylump Thu 06-Feb-14 22:39:54

Have you seen the posters or trailers for the new kids film called "Mr Peabody and Sherman"? <<innocently wanders off>>

BabyMummy29 Thu 06-Feb-14 22:40:45

They look like a pair of comedy specs - sorry

Dumpylump Thu 06-Feb-14 22:42:05

Please don't take offence op, am only teasing. You are v pretty, and they are lush frames, just a wee bit too big is all. I think having them tinted to use as sunglasses is inspired though....and somehow sunglasses can be much bigger and still look great. I wonder if its because you can't see through them?

TheFillyjonk Thu 06-Feb-14 22:45:58

Haha, Dumpylump, I thought that was hilarious as I can see that the glasses look absolutely daft!

Thanks for all the amazing specs advice on here, and for making me laugh my (gl)ass(es) off. I will take heed of all advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now