Talk

Advanced search

Belatedly coming round to the idea of skinny jeans and boots - so is it OVER?

(8 Posts)
WhoWasThatMaskedWoman Thu 06-Feb-14 18:05:56

As a pear-shaped person (small waist, concave back, huge arse, jodhpurs thighs) I have resisted the move out of boot cut jeans for longer than you lot would think humanly possible.

I have seen you advise countless middle-aged women over the years to do the skinny jeans thing, but have never felt quite brave enough.

But .... I now have a much loved pair of biker boots, and a rather fetching new pair of brown knee-length boots, and I found myself wearing the latter with 15 minutes to kill standing outside GAP, so I tried a pair of Always Skinny and a pair of true straight, and a pair of legging jeans and they actually looked OK with the boots - albeit somewhat jodhpurs-esque with shorter tops on. I didn't actually buy a pair because a) I didn't have a Grazia 30% off voucher, b) I felt in my bones that if I'd got as far as thinking that maybe a look was something I could tentatively try then that was clearly a sign that it was more over than an entire Ashes series of Test Match Special.

So I need your help, pretty please. I know it's been asked before but the answer to whether something is over/cliched is not something that an old thread will answer.

Skinny jeans (dark? Black? Jeggings?), long tops, biker boots/knee length brown boots. Over? Mutton? Mum-cliche? Only for people with no hips/thighs? All of those things but frankly anything is better than those bloody boot cuts?

The vital statistics - I'm 44, 5'4", size 12/vanity size 10 - 30 inch waist, 40 inch hips. Londoner.

Thanks thanks

Prettykitty111 Thu 06-Feb-14 18:15:19

No absolutely not over and what does it matter anyway? If you like the look and feel good then go for it. I'm married to my over the knee chunky boots with leather look jeans atm. I don't care what all the skinny "beautiful" people are wearing in magazines. Did you smile when you looked in the mirror? Then always go for it. With your lovely hourglass waist I'd go with long jumpers and clinchy belt too

Onesleeptillwembley Thu 06-Feb-14 18:16:12

I'd say not jeggings - actual jeans are far more forgiving. Also it depends on the top.
And I must have to say, bootcut are so 1990 funky grandma. Bloody awful. Ditch them and embrace a new you!

FrugalFashionista Thu 06-Feb-14 18:16:44

Skinnies and bikers are a bit of a mum cliche, at least here, but that's because so many mums find them practical and comfy. The chunkier boots help to balance out your hips. I'm wearing less and less skinnies because I am slightly pear-shaped (Sz10/12) so they do me no favors. I've seen a lot of very light washes recently so that might be a way to keep them modern.

I think jeans makers are currently not sure where we are going next. There is an enormous array of shapes out there right now (including extremely high-waisted styles, Marilyn Monroe jeans, and acid and cloud washes). Ultimately consumers and street style mavens will decide. I'd pick a pair that flatters your legs and bum the most - that's what jeans are all about.

Stokey Thu 06-Feb-14 18:29:24

As you're in London, I recommend an appointment with Selfridges denim studio. It's free and they give you lots of options that suit you. I went looking for mid-rise skinnies or maybe something else. Ended up deciding high-rise were better for me. Also tried some boyfriends and flares but the skinnies suited me best.

WhoWasThatMaskedWoman Thu 06-Feb-14 19:02:03

Ooh, I like the idea of Selfridges' denim studio, but I'm a bit of a cheapskate, and I resent paying big bucks for premium denim, which is crazy because in terms of cost per wear it's a no brainer. I have one fabulous pair of posh Salsa jeans but I got them for peanuts in the HOF sale.

But I guess if they find me one perfect pair then I can get more of the same style on the cheap from the Internet or TK Maxx.

SorrelForbes Thu 06-Feb-14 19:58:36

I'm almost identical to you in age and stats and I live in my Gap High Rise Skinnies, either with ankle boots or biker boots. They do look better with a heel though.

WhoWasThatMaskedWoman Thu 06-Feb-14 20:02:56

I like the sound of High Rise skinnies - the ones I tried on today were pretty low rise, which is good for avoiding the waist:hip ratio problem, but does mean choosing tops v carefully to exposing midriff (midriff currently slim but flabby, and when mid 40s best kept away from the outside world).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now