Advanced search

Bought a blazer, now what?

(16 Posts)
rumpled Thu 06-Feb-14 10:42:03

I'm clueless.

Decided I needed a blazer and bought 2 as they were so cheap

www.hm.com/gb/product/21009?article=21009-C#article=21009-C

One navy, one black.

Also have a pair of NYDJ indigo skinnies on order - what else would they go with and what to wear underneath.

rumpled Thu 06-Feb-14 10:44:41

I have a few dresses in this style - by that I mean sleeveless, heavy weight and a bit too smart - would the blazer make these more caual - and with opaques and calf length boots maybe?

rumpled Thu 06-Feb-14 10:44:52

www.precis.co.uk/en/ikat-animal-print-jersey-dress-433736

Redoubtable Thu 06-Feb-14 10:47:10

What's your style?

I love this look with breton and loose jeans.

This is more casual

rumpled Thu 06-Feb-14 10:49:27

I just posted a thread asking for a muse so not sure about my style confused

I'm mid 40's and want to look lovely smile

Natural/classic/but not frumpy?

rumpled Thu 06-Feb-14 10:56:28

Thanks for the link, I prefer the neatness of the Whistles one if that helps? Hate baggy jeans.

Redoubtable Thu 06-Feb-14 10:57:23

Oooo thats like me.
Mid forties, I want to look classic, understated, on-trend but in a nodding-I-know-you-not led-by-you-way.

I like this myfashionable40s.blogspot.ie/ for day to day, off duty looks.

Havent found one for work looks although I admire several of the ladies on allwornout.

Redoubtable Thu 06-Feb-14 11:00:03

Reiss very similar to Whistles look

More casual

Redoubtable Thu 06-Feb-14 11:03:05

White jeans
I'm still not sure about these but have pinned them for reference for the summer.
I have a lovely pair of tommy hilfiger white jeans, which have not been out for the last 2 summers as they had just dated, but they fit beeautifully and I feel I should do these looks

rumpled Thu 06-Feb-14 11:05:45

You're my muse now redoubtable I like both of those - thanks!

The top under the blazer can be same length or longer than the blazer hem?

I'm soooooooo buttoned-up it's ridiculous!

Talking of buttons, my blazers both look better undone, they feel like a jersey weight. Would scarves be too messy?

rumpled Thu 06-Feb-14 11:07:46

I have white jeans too! Usually wear in summer with a linen cardi and flat sandals hmm

Redoubtable Thu 06-Feb-14 11:11:48

If you saw me now, in my trackies and fleece jacket, as the dog awaits walking- an advert for middle age gone wrong, you would not want me for a muse grin but thanks thanks

I love a blazer, but have to be very very fussy re fit. I am curvy++ and it has to be the right length and fit to work for me.
I dont like blazers over dresses as they are too Member of Parliament on me.

Redoubtable Thu 06-Feb-14 11:15:33

Get a board on Pinterest, pin pictures of things you like as you stumble across them (also good for recipes --middle age seeps out--)

Try them on with your proposed outfits and photo yourself in mirror.

I've found things I wasnt mad about worked in a photo and vice versa

rumpled Thu 06-Feb-14 11:17:04

I think that's why I bought these cheap ones, just to see if they would work with my 'style'. If I find I love it I will grade upwards and look hard at the fit. The Zara blazer was either medium or large and neither looked right but the H&M one was sized - ended up in a 14 though to accommodate my chest.

I can imagine a blazer over a dress being neither formal nor casual so maybe I'll stick to cardis on those occasions.

Appreciate your help, thanks!

rumpled Thu 06-Feb-14 11:18:29

Will have a look at pinterest, good idea. I like the photo idea, hadn't thought of that. It would make it more objective I guess.

rumpled Fri 07-Feb-14 07:45:43

What doesn't go under a blazer? I'm thinking cardigans/jumpers? Are fine knits ok or should it just be a teeshirt?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now