Talk

Advanced search

Views on these two bags???

(61 Posts)
polyhymnia Wed 05-Feb-14 12:07:00

Have identified two bags that meet most or all of my criteria for an every day work/casual bag in terms of ouside pockets, straps, etc. Both navy and tan would go with most of my wardrobe.

This: www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Accessories/Bags-Wallets/AM210-NAV/Womens-Navy-Soft-Leather-Bowling-Bag.html#nav

and this: www.peonyandmoore.com/product_info.php?cPath=0_12&products_id=205

Views on which is better, please. I know there's quite a price difference, specially as I have a Boden 20% off code. But P and M also have codes from time to time.

Happy to have other suggestions, but no non-leather, M and S, Radley, Modalu, or Michael Kors, please (or Mulberry!).

On the P and M Mariella, have previously ordered one and sent back but that was mostly because I didn't like the shiny leather of the 'toffee' colour. This new version's in the matte grainy leather I prefer.

TIA

buttercrumble Wed 05-Feb-14 12:08:42

The Boden one is lovely tbh not as keen on the other smile

dottyaboutstripes Wed 05-Feb-14 12:11:27

I much prefer the look of the Mariella. The Boden one is dull IMHO.

ZenNudist Wed 05-Feb-14 12:17:59

I think I prefer the boden one. I reckon the p&m is a bit dull

What's wrong with modalu? Genuinely interested. I'm a mainly mulberry or coach person myself but saw a nice red modalu in John Lewis & thought it could do for an affordable bag option. Too much gold? I know MK is!

polyhymnia Wed 05-Feb-14 12:31:16

Yes, Zen you've got it.

I really don't like lots of metalware, and specially if it's 'gold'. Have a Pippa but never use for that reason.

I know what you mean about Mariella being dull. The one I tried before did look like a large expanse of just plain leather but I guess the tassels help and also, I'd carry it with the two zip pockets, which I like, facing out.

dexter73 Wed 05-Feb-14 12:37:06

I like the Mariella best.

JunoMacGuff Wed 05-Feb-14 12:38:44

I also prefer the Boden one, I have surprised myself but it is really nice.

Why don't you like Mulberry? Just curious.

bunnymother Wed 05-Feb-14 12:39:41

Mariella

polyhymnia Wed 05-Feb-14 12:44:30

Gosh , votes pretty evenly split so far.

On Mulberry, would have to really love a bag to pay their prices and TBH I just find them generally a bit dull and predictable. (Prefer, eg, Bottega Veneta at that end of the market).

Some of them (eg, Daria) )also have shiny metalware I personally find too bling.

dexter73 Wed 05-Feb-14 12:46:48

I suppose the bags are quite different from each other. I like the Mariella because it is relaxed and slouchy looking. I particularly like it in the navy. The Boden bag is a bit too prim and proper looking for me.

Dontletthemgetyoudown Wed 05-Feb-14 12:57:33

I like the boden one, have been umming and ahhing about it myself. especially s I just brought an 'investment' bag and so really don't need another tan leather bag. But the Boden seems a good deal and a lot of the blogs are raving about it.

madammecholet Wed 05-Feb-14 13:01:55

Mariella... Boden one is meh.

Frozenatchristmas Wed 05-Feb-14 13:44:28

I don't like the boden one at all.

WhereIsMyHat Wed 05-Feb-14 14:26:01

I much prefer the boden but I like a more structured bag plus it's less boring than the other one.

TulipOHare Wed 05-Feb-14 14:37:39

Like both but the price would swing it for me. In fact I might treat myself to the Boden one for my birthday next month.

justasecond Wed 05-Feb-14 14:49:57

I prefer the Boden one. I just don't "get" the P&M bags. I know they are raved on about on MN but they just look a bit boring. Maybe they look better irl. I would look at Coach too

josephinebornapart Wed 05-Feb-14 15:53:00

I prefer the Boden one and am thinking about the nude shade as soon as they have 20% because I dithered and missed the last promotion.

I don't like the other one simply because I am now avoiding shoulder bags except for across body bags- shoulder bags make my arm ache from holding in place, and I also have a dropped shoulder from using heavy shoulder bags in the past.

I also avoid 'hob' bags because everything gets buried in a pile at the bottom.

My only wish for the Boden bag is I'd prefer silver to gold hardwear.

DolomitesDonkey Wed 05-Feb-14 16:01:45

You know the mariella is half-price right now if you get red?

polyhymnia Wed 05-Feb-14 18:50:02

Thanks, but I don't like red, I'm afraid. Boring I guess, but much prefer 'neutrals' like tan and navy.

it's more that I'm prepared to consider the Mariella again because it's now in matte tan leather - and does have outside pockets and an optional cross body strap - like another poster I don't like bags that have to be perched on the shoulder alone. - than that I'm mad for a Mariella.

polyhymnia Wed 05-Feb-14 18:50:57

PS totally agree with Josephine that the Boden bag would be better with 'silver' than 'gold' metalware.

TKKW Wed 05-Feb-14 19:06:15

Much prefer the boden in navy or in tan.

AcaciaBeez Wed 05-Feb-14 19:42:38

I really like the Mariella but the Boden one is nice too

josephinebornapart Wed 05-Feb-14 19:59:37

Have you seen Radley Grosvenor grab bag- got an over the body strap and comes in tan.

Allinafankle Wed 05-Feb-14 20:00:32

Damn you polyhymnia, why did I click on that Boden link? Why?! I need that bag! grin

josephinebornapart Wed 05-Feb-14 20:01:50

has anyone got a 20% Boden code that is share-able? (ie not through Preview)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now