Talk

Advanced search

Hair help needed, v embarrassed...

(16 Posts)
perrinelli Tue 04-Feb-14 21:08:38

Am really quite embarrassed and ashamed about this. I've got medium long hair which is quite fine. I'm overdue a haircut and over the last couple of months I've been bunging it up in the morning in a messy bun and have also gone to generally showering & washing hair every other day instead of daily... Largely because we're always running so late for school/nursery.
Anyway, the bottom bit of my hair is now so tangled and matted that I cannot get a brush through it. Every morning I just brush the top bit and put it back in its messy bun hoping no one can notice!
I have tried combing through with conditioner but can't get a comb through it. Any other ideas? I so need it cut but cannot go along to the hairdresser with this birds nest.

milktraylady Tue 04-Feb-14 21:13:09

I had this happen (a week in hospital after a ball & an up do that stayed up).

What worked- wet hair then a whole bottle of Aussie 3 minute miracle on the matted bit. Leave for a while & massage in. Then get comfy with a really wide tooth comb.

Start at the very ends of the hair and work your way up. This will take ages, but it will work. my arms did ache. Good luck!

AnnabelleDarling Tue 04-Feb-14 21:13:14

This sometimes happens with dd's hair, I put some conditioner in and leave it for 20 minutes. Rinse it, then I use a tangle teaser brush and a spray of leave in conditioner, I think it's Aussie, and spend quite a while brushing it out bit by bit. Take your time and it will be fine.

Cluffyflump Tue 04-Feb-14 21:14:42

milktraylady has it.
It might take all evening, but it should work.

perrinelli Tue 04-Feb-14 21:21:46

Right ok thankyou. I think I need to buy a wider comb (tried DDs tangle teaser brush with not much success) and some more conditioner then need to put aside the time and bite the bullet. Think I just keep remembering it in the morning when I've not got much time!
As soon as its out I'm getting it cut shorter!

ginandtonicplease Tue 04-Feb-14 22:25:39

This works - wash, leave conditioner in for 20 mins, rinse and massage in Argan oil or Moroccan oil and gently brush through with tangle tease starting from the ends. Good luck!

Weelady77 Tue 04-Feb-14 23:17:37

Always comb from the ends never from the start of the matt, I actually seen something today on Pinterest and it was heat up olive oil in a pot till it's warm then take your pot over to the sink and dip the matt into it then pour the rest all over your hair, pin it up with a clip for 20 mins then comb through! It's supposed to be good for growth and split ends too

enriquetheringbearinglizard Tue 04-Feb-14 23:46:25

Apply conditioner, wrap hair in clingfilm, over wrap with warm towel turban at least 20 mins. Comb gently ends up with an afro comb (very wide teeth)

enriquetheringbearinglizard Tue 04-Feb-14 23:48:35

Example
m.boots.com/mt/www.boots.com/en/Boots-Afro-Comb-B8-_1018632/

SavoyCabbage Wed 05-Feb-14 00:01:50

My dd has matted hair often. It looks like a carpet sometimes and I think it's going to be like that forever.

You need product like everyone says. It will come good.

MoominMammasHandbag Wed 05-Feb-14 00:05:27

Personally I would go with cheapybconditioner though. You need quantity not quality.

MrsCakesPremonition Wed 05-Feb-14 00:07:34

If you are planning to get it cut shorter anyway, why not trim the worst of the matted bit yourself as it will make combing through a lot simpler.

Hairdressers are used to seeing people who have had a go themselves.

Starballbunny Wed 05-Feb-14 00:10:59

Good TV program and gently tease as much as possible apart with your fingers and your favourite brush. Set angler spray sometimes helps.

Never got anywhere with combs or conditioner. You just have to be very very very patient and suddenly you find you can get a brush through it.

Starballbunny Wed 05-Feb-14 00:11:26

De tangler

burnishedsilver Wed 05-Feb-14 12:45:12

If I were you I'd just cut the knot out and head to the hairdresser. The longer you leave it the worse it gets. If you're combing the top bit you're just pushing more knots down to the bottom bit every day.

kazzawazzawoo Wed 05-Feb-14 21:51:56

This happened to dd 12 recently and we used quite a lot of john frieda frizzease serum rubbed between my hands, then rubbed all over the matted hair and gently brushing a bit at a time with a Denman vent brush, only took me 20 mins to comb out a huge matted clump, about a handful size - she told me she was brushing it and has thick long hair so I couldn't see the matted hair underneath!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now