Talk

Advanced search

Help a frump look fabulous please!

(12 Posts)
Mammabear31 Tue 04-Feb-14 13:30:13

I have a big birthday coming up. To celebrate I'll be heading into London to see a show in the afternoon, followed by dinner & drinks in the evening. I haven't been out in London for years and having recently had DS1 I'm feeling rather frumpy and out of touch with fashion/style....my staples seem to be jeans, t shirts and cardigans. Plus I haven't been "out" for well over a year so am determined to have a great time. As shallow as this sounds, unless I am feeling fabulous I am bound to look around me at all the beautifully polished people and feel absolutely hideous, which will mean I won't enjoy my evening sad

so please give me your hints and tips for making yourself feeling body, mind and soul confident!! What would you say makes a person "polished"? Basically, how do I go about making sure I feel like I look good, rather than an ugly duckling?

WipsGlitter Tue 04-Feb-14 13:42:58

Colour
Blowdry
Possibly a light tan
Eyebrows professionally shaped but not dyed

Mammabear31 Tue 04-Feb-14 13:43:31

Also to add, that I have no idea what looks good on me and what doesnt. I have such an awkward body shape - tall (nearly 6ft), small boobs, big hips, bit of a baggy stomach, thick thighs, wide shoulders - that nothing much suits me really.

LadyVetinari Tue 04-Feb-14 17:03:07

Yes to hairdo and eyebrow maintenance - both make a big difference!

Whatever you wear, choose a colour that makes you feel great and an outfit that isn't too tight/too short/constantly in need of rearranging. Nothing makes you feel self-conscious like having to hoik things up, pull them down, or tolerate an uncomfortable waist band all evening.

Good underwear makes a big difference to how clothes look and feel - have you visited one of the bra intervention threads on here?

Aside from that, take extra care of your skin, eat well, sleep lots, and avoid alcohol and refined sugar completely for a couple of weeks before your birthday. Finally, on the day, surround yourself with people who make you feel your best, and live in the moment. Checking your make-up and scrutinising photos can only detract from your enjoyment!

polyhymnia Tue 04-Feb-14 17:15:57

All good advice - just to say as a Londoner that, much as I love the place, it isn't full of 'beautifully polished people at all and certainly not at a theatre matinee!

Understated stylishness will be great.

Whoknowswhocares Tue 04-Feb-14 20:28:59

Beautifully polished people?
It must be a VERY long time since you last visited! grin
I think you may be confusing London with somewhere else? Paris, perhaps?
Seriously though, theatre matinees are not very dressy affairs ime. Concentrate on good hair and comfortable, well fitting clothes which will multi function for other areas of your life. Have a fab time!

Mammabear31 Wed 05-Feb-14 08:12:05

Thanks for all the advice. I was thinking more alon the lines of the night out than the matinee but it would help me feel like less of a frump, I have a few nice pieces but nothing that would go together which is really frustrating.

Have booked myself in for highlights the day before and perhaps will have a cut if I have the money.

It just seems like everywhere I go I'm the boring, grumpy one with lank hair....I think I need to buy some new make up. Any recommendations for foundations? I've been using a BB cream for ages (Boots Botanics) but it doesn't give me enough coverage and is a tad dark for my skin tone (usually get the palest one available).

polyhymnia Wed 05-Feb-14 09:25:59

I recommend Bobbi Brown. The staff on their counters are usually helpful and they have a wide range of colours.

Jeans and nice top, or simple knit dress and boots would certainly be fine for the matinee.

Don't know which restaurant, etc you're going to in evening. So can't give specific advice. But for most something nice quality/ stylish but understated is fine - IMO, main thing to avoid is anything OTT/ try hard.

Sounds like you have your hair sorted. You could always book in somewhere in London for a quick blow dry after theatre if you wanted.

bleedingheart Wed 05-Feb-14 09:57:26

How about something like this with opaques and flat pointed shoes or heels if you prefer

Topshop Tall Dress

Cool enough so you don't get hot in a busy bar but you can wear a little jacket over the top or your usual coat when travelling?

bleedingheart Wed 05-Feb-14 09:58:29

I also like the idea of this blouse with indigo slim leg jeans

Floral top

Cheesecakefactory Wed 05-Feb-14 16:38:23

Whenever I go out I usually do this....http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kLufajKbze8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DkLufajKbze8

I have small boobs too lol, just give me a better shape if that makes sense

Mammabear31 Thu 06-Feb-14 14:45:33

I like, totally, like, can't watch that video like....

My god she was annoying. And fake. Thanks cheesecake but I'm happy with my small boobs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now