Talk

Advanced search

Please help me :(

(35 Posts)
TessTackle Mon 03-Feb-14 21:11:52

I'm looking for some help in updating my wardrobe.

I buy cheap stuff to get me through the week/month fairly regularly but I feel I have no style.

I don't know how to put outfits together and tend to rotate the same stomach hiding stuff constantly.

My weight has fluctuated and I am in the process of Doing the thirty day shred and changing my lifestyle so I don't want to spend a fortune at all.

What key pieces should I buy?

Thanks x

RalphRecklessCardew Mon 03-Feb-14 21:12:45

Who would you like to look like?

TessTackle Mon 03-Feb-14 21:20:38

Oh balls,Ralph I don't know to be honest.
For a bit of background, I'm 23 in 2 weeks. A sahm to a 3 year old. I tend to wear loose tops to hide my stomach with a longer vest to hide bum and camel toe and leggings/jeans with uggs/converse/vans.

I used to wear skater dresses and nice skirts but with the weight gain I can't bring myself to squeeze into any I have.

I like the way Kourtney Kardashians dresses when she's more casual. Katie Holmes gets it right quite often I think, too. Sienna miller, Victoria beck ham (though a bit dressy). Jessica alba?

cloudskitchen Mon 03-Feb-14 21:21:32

Do you have a few bits in your wardrobe that you like and could build around. scarves are a great way to add style and cheer up some basics. they also carry on working after you've lost weight grin

TessTackle Mon 03-Feb-14 21:24:15

clouds I've a few scarves funnily enough. I like them because they always fit grin

I shy away from bright colours so everything is black/white/cream. And I don't really like any of it fgs it's more that "it'll do"

cloudskitchen Mon 03-Feb-14 21:26:40

lol. you sound like me just rather a lot younger. I wear a lot of black etc though slowly intruducing more colour as I have finally got bored of black. Sometimes closer fitting things are more flattering than loose things.

TessTackle Mon 03-Feb-14 21:28:49

I totally agree about the fit but my gut is vile!
I don't even know what body shape I am, I used to think I was an hourglass but now all I can see is flab!

HelloBoys Mon 03-Feb-14 21:34:41

Could you invest in nicer pieces? Oasis and warehouse do some nice dresses and tops etc.

I've always found cheaper stuff (on trend or just cheap) from eg primark and H&M can date easily or not last as well. Gap looks boring but has nice quality basics and you can often get 30% off vouchers.

HelloBoys Mon 03-Feb-14 21:35:53

How about also asos? They do very nice basics and not cheap but not too expensive either.

TessTackle Mon 03-Feb-14 21:36:09

I could stretch to nicer pieces, Hello, but I don't even know where to start.

TessTackle Mon 03-Feb-14 21:36:38

I do like asos, I have about 100 things 'saved' but never buy.

HelloBoys Mon 03-Feb-14 21:50:32

Tess I will be on tomorrow and help you then. Maybe link to some asos bits you can and we can advise you?

TessTackle Mon 03-Feb-14 21:57:50

That would be lovely, thank you Hello thanks

TessTackle Mon 03-Feb-14 22:09:25

Ok Asos links;

these are me all over

TessTackle Mon 03-Feb-14 22:11:55

I love this outfit but I can't see myself being confident enough.

HelloBoys Mon 03-Feb-14 22:32:20

Hi Tess actually I love both things you've posted for you!

They show you like fitted but flattering items and bold prints.

To be honest I'd get both those. The only thing I'd ask is would you get much wear out of the kimono? The jeggings I think you could dress up and down a lot.

I like the Curve range. BiB at H&M has some good basics also uniqlo has v good basics (unsure as to sizes) and sainsburys Tu for basics (long sleeved tees etc).

I'll check tomorrow and hopefully someone else will post too!

HelloBoys Mon 03-Feb-14 22:35:33

Oh also another thing you could set up a Pinterest board with items you also like and celebs fashion (Jessica Alba etc).

Then we can point you along! smile

RonaldMcDonald Mon 03-Feb-14 22:42:18

Okay

What size are you?
What height?

Are you body feelings blown well out of proportion and do you need to start to get a little perspective
It can be really hard to appreciate the body you have after children, really hard
I think that you need to start with kindness to yourself and then really clever dressing

TessTackle Mon 03-Feb-14 22:53:14

Ronald I'm a small 14 at the moment, 5'3.
I know I'm not as "big" as I think I am/see myself, but I've been smaller (in the last 6months) so I'm not happy with how I look at the moment.

TessTackle Mon 03-Feb-14 22:54:22

My waist is definitely my smallest part, I have slim ankles/decent calves and teeny tiny forearms/wrists though the tops of my arms are pretty big and wobbly.

TessTackle Mon 03-Feb-14 23:12:16

Hello The jeggings aren't in my size sad going to try and find something similar elsewhere.

I think you're right about the kimono. I'd like one to transition into s/s though?

WhereIsMyHat Mon 03-Feb-14 23:34:09

I think kimonos are fab and easy to dress up and down. Black jeans and heels for a night out or
more casual jeans and flats for day time. I bought one a few years ago and have had so much wear out of it. I really like the one you linked to.

I know the feeling you have right now, I'm struggling with my disappearing waist. It used to be my best bit. Trying to change the way I dress is hard.

TessTackle Mon 03-Feb-14 23:38:25

Don't know if this will work; pinterest

TessTackle Mon 03-Feb-14 23:39:44

Where I may well keep looking for one then.
I'm starting the 30 day shred again tomorrow, apparently results are fast if you stick at it.

TessTackle Tue 04-Feb-14 09:09:12

love this

this whole outfit

too much?

expensive,but this style

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now