Talk

Advanced search

Why the obsession with nude shoes?

(21 Posts)
RonaldMcDonald Mon 03-Feb-14 16:57:29

Do we all want to look like Middletons?

yorkshirekell Mon 03-Feb-14 17:14:03

I have never got into those, im only 31 but i've always seen them as a bit of a teen 'going out on a saturday night shoe'

OneLittleLady Mon 03-Feb-14 17:17:36

I've never worn nude shoes, I just don't like them. Plus every version of nude looks orange toned against my skin, I'm very very very pale and I just don't want to look like my feet are wearing wotsits!

HRHwheezing Mon 03-Feb-14 17:20:38

Nude shoes make your legs look longer. Apparently. And go with most things

claudeekishi Mon 03-Feb-14 17:37:40

There was an obsession with nude shoes circa 2006-7. Long over I would have thought.

TheJumped Mon 03-Feb-14 19:08:08

I have a pair of nude high heels I love wearing for nights out. With slim black trousers and any kind of top, they just look feminine and glam IMO. And for weddings - I know it's a bit cliche but they do just look right for weddings with a nice dress.

Not stripper heel ones though - mine are LK Bennett and fairly tasteful.

And avoid pink toned ones - just like foundation grin

Hopefully Mon 03-Feb-14 19:12:09

I just like them because I don't need to flap about matching shoes! Most of my other shoes are quite bold colours, so it's nice to have an effortless pair.

cluecu Mon 03-Feb-14 19:22:23

I love them and wear them loads. I dislike clothes shopping mostly and although shoes are quite stress free I have lost many pairs to blisters.

They go with everything and I can't be faffed grin

TSSDNCOP Mon 03-Feb-14 19:58:12

Agree that they are like foundation, it's simply a case of finding the right tone.

They do make your legs look longer, and because they are "invisible" all the emphasis is on the dress/outfit.

Frankly I think they look good, I'm not that fussed about looking like Mrs Cambridge unless she's gt those god awful hessian wedges on.

HappyGirlNow Mon 03-Feb-14 20:31:15

I love nude shoes but not in styles like the frumpy Middletons wear. I just bought these - love them grin

LittleBabyPigsus Mon 03-Feb-14 21:39:52

For a start, 'nude' is a misnomer since beige is not nude on all skin tones, though I believe some brands do them in a range of shades? They only make your legs look longer if they match your skintone, most people are better off going with black opaques with black shoes.

Walnut8 Tue 04-Feb-14 11:45:13

Agree with whoever said they make your legs look longer. Generally look better with a tan though!

RonaldMcDonald Tue 04-Feb-14 12:06:11

looks like Barbie legs

MrsLettuce Tue 04-Feb-14 12:50:46

Yeah, they're almost invariably 'orrible.

goodstuffhappens Tue 04-Feb-14 14:28:47

because the rule is 'never wear shoes darker than your hemline'

I think they look awful, corpse-like.

DesperateHousewife21 Tue 04-Feb-14 14:35:11

Ive got a pair from Next and love them. The heel is only about 3in which is perfect as im 5"8.

Ive only worn them twice- once to a wedding and once to a fancy meal but ill be getting them out again in June for another wedding.

I dont think everyone should stick to black and certainly not with tights, that would look odd with a pastel colour dress in june grin

MrsLettuce Tue 04-Feb-14 14:48:40

because the rule is 'never wear shoes darker than your hemline'

Have also heard 'never wear shoes lighter than your hemline'. Both are tosh.

I can see why people wear them, as they don't clash with other colours, but they really are very unflattering.

FrugalFashionista Tue 04-Feb-14 15:49:48

Nude for me is taupe as I'm pale and pinky nudes simply don't work. I've found the rule of thumb is that when going for nude, you should pick a shade a bit paler than your skin tone. This way it flatters your skin tone even if you are pale. Tan shoes + winter skin = urgh

Nude shoes are very versatile if you are travelling and it's summer, but I find them a bit dull. I prefer other colors - color, white, metallic - in the summer and dark tones in winter.

JohnCusacksWife Tue 04-Feb-14 18:15:15

Because if you get the right shade & style they are flattering, easy to wear and versatile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now